Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > System Stuttering.

System Stuttering.

Rv!

A brief post due to time. Any help appreciated.

My system (gigabyte GA7n400L, Athlon 2.6, 256Mb)
has a problem, not likely to be software.

The PC stutters every second or two. This happens under all OS software.
Tested a new 2K, XPPro and Linux. Sound will click and stop for a split
second while the mouse will stagger. It's pretty annoying as it makes the
machine unuseable for sound or video. This has just started happening.

Anyone any ideas from this brief description and anaylysis?

Thanks
Robert

Stuart

Rv! wrote:

> A brief post due to time. Any help appreciated.
>
> My system (gigabyte GA7n400L, Athlon 2.6, 256Mb)
> has a problem, not likely to be software.
>
> The PC stutters every second or two. This happens under all OS software.
> Tested a new 2K, XPPro and Linux. Sound will click and stop for a split
> second while the mouse will stagger. It's pretty annoying as it makes the
> machine unuseable for sound or video. This has just started happening.
>
> Anyone any ideas from this brief description and anaylysis?
>
> Thanks
> Robert

Does this only happen when you are playing multimedia? Update your
motherboard, graphics and soundcard drivers and check for conflicts
between any of your hardware devices in device manager.

If it is happening all the time (whether running multimedia or not) then
follow the next bit:-

Your power supply could be dying or it may be poor cooling. Easiest
thing to check first is the cooling, are all the fans running okay? Keep
the side off for a while and clean the fans if they are really dusty, if
it keeps doing the same thing then it is probably the power supply.

Even though I suggested cleaning the fans it is still most likely your
power supply is failing and just not providing you with a clean supply.

Stuart

Jerry G.

Check to see what is running in the background. Investigate the error logs,
if your operating system has such.

It is possible that something in the background is using a lot of resources.
Use the resource monitor to investigate the resources.

Also check for any Trojan, Adware, or viruses running in the background. If
the machine was running properly before, and this is a new fault, then there
was definitely a change somewhere. It is also possible that you installed a
new software that has some operation, or replaced some system files that are
causing errors.

If the power supply is failing, this can also attribute to some erratic
operation, but not usually to what you are describing here. I have also seen
defective disk drives, and RAM's cause erratic operation.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Rv!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41172a2b$0$20257$(E-Mail Removed)...
A brief post due to time. Any help appreciated.

My system (gigabyte GA7n400L, Athlon 2.6, 256Mb)
has a problem, not likely to be software.

The PC stutters every second or two. This happens under all OS software.
Tested a new 2K, XPPro and Linux. Sound will click and stop for a split
second while the mouse will stagger. It's pretty annoying as it makes the
machine unuseable for sound or video. This has just started happening.

Anyone any ideas from this brief description and anaylysis?

Thanks
Robert

Rv!

"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cf7mm0$ipc$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Does this only happen when you are playing multimedia? Update your
> motherboard, graphics and soundcard drivers and check for conflicts
> between any of your hardware devices in device manager.

The problem is present during all operations when it is happening. That
sounds an odd
statement but it seem to be noticable even during thr first stages of W2K
start up, ie the
first sweeping line.

> If it is happening all the time (whether running multimedia or not) then
> follow the next bit:-

> Your power supply could be dying or it may be poor cooling. Easiest
> thing to check first is the cooling, are all the fans running okay? Keep
> the side off for a while and clean the fans if they are really dusty, if
> it keeps doing the same thing then it is probably the power supply.

I think I will borrow a PSU from work and try it out with this. I've got a
scope and
can check the supply in-situ but not got round to this yet.

> Even though I suggested cleaning the fans it is still most likely your
> power supply is failing and just not providing you with a clean supply.

The machine has plenty of fans as I tend to leave the machine on 24/7. The
Athlon2.6 CPU runs at around 55c and the case is at 33c right now. There are
two
intake fans and two output pans on the case(plus PSU=3). The two intake fans
run
over the 3x HDD and these run at about 31c.

-----
I certainly feel it is hardware related as it happens under all OS's tested.
Trying the PSU first is a fair option, and one I will to tomorrow.

Thanks
Robert

Rv!

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cf8a10$7di$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check to see what is running in the background. Investigate the error

logs,
> if your operating system has such.
>
> It is possible that something in the background is using a lot of

resources.
> Use the resource monitor to investigate the resources.
> Also check for any Trojan, Adware, or viruses running in the background.

If
> the machine was running properly before, and this is a new fault, then

there
> was definitely a change somewhere. It is also possible that you installed

> new software that has some operation, or replaced some system files that

are
> causing errors.

I don't think this can be the case as it happens under three tested OS's as
default.

> If the power supply is failing, this can also attribute to some erratic
> operation, but not usually to what you are describing here. I have also

seen
> defective disk drives, and RAM's cause erratic operation.

I think it's more likely to be this. Time to borrow kit from work and start
substituting!

Thanks for the input, I'm sure I will post back if I find it!

Robert

Rv!

Earlier I wrote...
> A brief post due to time. Any help appreciated.
>
> My system (gigabyte GA7n400L, Athlon 2.6, 256Mb)
> has a problem, not likely to be software.
>
> The PC stutters every second or two. This happens under all OS software.
> Tested a new 2K, XPPro and Linux. Sound will click and stop for a split
> second while the mouse will stagger. It's pretty annoying as it makes the
> machine unuseable for sound or video. This has just started happening.

----------
Thanks for the replies to the original post. I've investigated slightly
further now...

Well, The PSU is OK as I've swapped out a 450w unit and the problem
persists.
I've scoped the main power rails and they're as clean as to be expected from
an SMPSU!
I've not yet gone the memory or processor swap out as they're simply not
available to swap.

The problem feel like it's an interrupt going wrong, an regular-ish jitter
particularly noticable
on video and sound but also on general mouse movement. Because this happens
with different
HDD's and different OS's (new install; no drivers and with drivers) Im
certainly predicting a
hardware problem rather than software. I wish it was software as I'd happily
re-install, hardware
is another game due to the cost of "guessing" the parts to replace!

Robertv!