Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Hard Drive Selection???

Hard Drive Selection???

Nige Meadows

Am having storage problems at present due to my personal fixation with
video editing software and the production of half-decent holiday cd's.
It's great fun but it sure eats the memory. I've come to a grinding
halt on my latest production and have run out of space. I need to
acquire a second 40gb drive but given the number of options available,
have absolutely no idea what I should or should not be looking for. I'm
using a Compaq Presario 6046EA, with Pentium 4 and a 40gb UDMA Hard
drive. I need a second drive. I have no IT background and would be
grateful if someone could tell me what types of drive would be
compatible with my system. Do i need a particular model?type? and if
so, how do i find out what that is? Also, I'm told that Ebuyer is the
place to do the business. Does that seem reasonable? Sorry to be so
lacking amidst all you well informed peeps. Very grateful for any help

Nige Meadows

Duane Arnold

Nige Meadows <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cf1uq7$79u$1
@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

> Am having storage problems at present due to my personal fixation with
> video editing software and the production of half-decent holiday cd's.
> It's great fun but it sure eats the memory. I've come to a grinding
> halt on my latest production and have run out of space. I need to
> acquire a second 40gb drive but given the number of options available,
> have absolutely no idea what I should or should not be looking for.

I'm
> using a Compaq Presario 6046EA, with Pentium 4 and a 40gb UDMA Hard
> drive. I need a second drive. I have no IT background and would be
> grateful if someone could tell me what types of drive would be
> compatible with my system. Do i need a particular model?type? and if
> so, how do i find out what that is? Also, I'm told that Ebuyer is the
> place to do the business. Does that seem reasonable? Sorry to be so
> lacking amidst all you well informed peeps. Very grateful for any

help

This is just to give you the big picture about the HD prices, like one of
those 200gig ones.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...tegory_hdd.asp

Duane

Brad Griffis

I tried looking up your computer to find the specs but didn't any luck.
You'll need to look in the manual (or in the case) to see if it will take an
ATA hard drive or SATA hard drive.

Some safe brands to buy are Western Digital, Seagate, and Maxtor. I do some
video editing too and recommend that you definitely buy something bigger
than 40 GB. I'd recommend 100 GB. If you ever do anything bigger than a
holiday video you'll be thankful for the extra space. Plus having the 100
GB drive won't get fragmented as quickly while you're editing.

I recommend buying one with an 8MB buffer on it (most come with a 2MB
buffer) and definitely 7200 RPM. They have drives even faster than 7200 RPM
now but they're still pretty expensive and I've heard people say they're
kind of loud.

I recommend you buy it online as you'll save a bundle. I've shopped
http://www.newegg.com for years and they are excellent.

Brad

news:cf1uq7$79u$(E-Mail Removed)...