Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > inkjet recomendation?

inkjet recomendation?

Howie

I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it to
print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in buying
an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or re-fill.

any tips?

Howie

bearman

"Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it to
> print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
> recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in

buying
> an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or re-fill.
>
> any tips?
>
> Howie

I'm using a Canon i560 and it works just fine Doesn't use a lot of ink.
Ink prices are low (at Costco and Sam's). Makes decent photos. Cost me $80
about six or seven months ago. Just make sure you run it at least once a
week (do a nozzle check) if you don't use it frequently.

Bearman

Justin

>> I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it
>> to print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
>> recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in

> buying
>> an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or
>> re-fill.
>>
>> any tips?
>>
>> Howie

We have an HP PSC 1210 that was just $99. It is a combo printer, scanner,
and copier. To make a copy, just place a document on the scanner area and
hit copy like a copy machine (I don't even think the PC needs to be on but
ours is on 24/7 anyway). It saves desk space (can put your old scanner
away). It's cool.

Howie

What are the ink cartridge costs to replace and/or refill? (that is my
biggest focus when buying a printer)...

"Justin" <justin1138@REMOVEnet> wrote in message
news:Xns953AD29309E64justin1138REMOVEzoom@209.25.1 57.130...
> >> I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it
> >> to print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
> >> recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in

> > buying
> >> an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or
> >> re-fill.
> >>
> >> any tips?
> >>
> >> Howie

> We have an HP PSC 1210 that was just $99. It is a combo printer, scanner,
> and copier. To make a copy, just place a document on the scanner area and
> hit copy like a copy machine (I don't even think the PC needs to be on but
> ours is on 24/7 anyway). It saves desk space (can put your old scanner
> away). It's cool.

Jerry G.

I have a preference for the HP for many technical reasons. When changing
their inkjet cartridges, there is a new nozzle(s) built in. Also with their
laser printers, the cartridge gives a lot of new base parts.

I found however, that refilling inkjet cartridges brings on too many other
problems. I would never get in to that again! The inkjet printers are very
expensive to use. If you are going to do mostly B&W printing, get a low cost
laser printer. A $60 to $80 cartridge can give about 2500 to 3000 pages.
You would have to spend about $500 on cartridges with an inkjet printer to
do that! In this case, you've more than paid for the basic laser printer,
and a spare cartridge.

If you plan to do a fair amount of colour printing, and you do not need very
good photo quality, you should consider a low cost colour laser printer. The
layout will be higher, but in the end, it will work out cheaper for the
amount of prints you will get over the lifetime of the printer and
cartridges. After going through with this, I found it to be a reasonable
solution.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it to
print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in buying
an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or re-fill.

any tips?

Howie

Justin

"Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What are the ink cartridge costs to replace and/or refill? (that is my
> biggest focus when buying a printer)...

I think they're about $30 or so each, about the same as other printers. If
you do a lot of printing, you might consider a laser printer (the toner
would be cheaper than constantly replacing inkjet ink). Brother has one
for like $150 or so I believe. Then you can get an inkjet for color
photos.

Calvin Crumrine

I like HP's print quality & their ink cartridge costs (per page) are as
cheap as any I've seen. What I don't like about HP-and most others-is
that they've started embedding chips in their cartridges. Besides making
it impossible for others to manufacturer compatible cartridges they've
also started putting expiration dates in at least some of the chips.

It's probably not a big deal if you have a local store that always has
your cartridges in stock & is open 24/7, but if that's not the case then
you need to watch your ink supply closely. I used to keep spare
cartridges on hand because I always seemed to run out either when the
store was closed or when it had run out of my cartridges-but I just had
to throw out over $100 of cartridges because that damned chip wouldn't
let them work. (Must have gotten old stock the last time I ordered.) As
far as I could tell the cartridges, except for the chip, were
fine-they'd never even been opened.

Sure raised my cost of ink, bless HP's greedy little heart.

BTW, specific models were Officejet 6110 (all-in-one) and Photosmart
1115. Don't know how wide-spread this habit is, these models, fairly new
machines, are the first ones that I've been bitten on.

Howie wrote:
> What are the ink cartridge costs to replace and/or refill? (that is my
> biggest focus when buying a printer)...
>

> "Justin" <justin1138@REMOVEnet> wrote in message
> news:Xns953AD29309E64justin1138REMOVEzoom@209.25.1 57.130...

>>>buying

>>We have an HP PSC 1210 that was just $99. It is a combo printer, scanner,
>>and copier. To make a copy, just place a document on the scanner area and
>>hit copy like a copy machine (I don't even think the PC needs to be on but
>>ours is on 24/7 anyway). It saves desk space (can put your old scanner
>>away). It's cool.

>>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

bearman

"bearman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it to
> > print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
> > recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in

> buying
> > an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or re-fill.
> >
> > any tips?
> >
> > Howie
> >

> I'm using a Canon i560 and it works just fine Doesn't use a lot of ink.
> Ink prices are low (at Costco and Sam's). Makes decent photos. Cost me

$80
> about six or seven months ago. Just make sure you run it at least once a
> week (do a nozzle check) if you don't use it frequently.
>
> Bearman

Check out the prices for ink cartridges for the Canon i560. Pretty damn
cheap.

Bearman

Calvin Crumrine

bearman wrote:

> "bearman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it to
>>>print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
>>>recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in

>>buying
>>
>>>an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or re-fill.
>>>
>>>any tips?
>>>
>>>Howie
>>>

>>I'm using a Canon i560 and it works just fine Doesn't use a lot of ink.
>>Ink prices are low (at Costco and Sam's). Makes decent photos. Cost me

> $80
>
>>about six or seven months ago. Just make sure you run it at least once a
>>week (do a nozzle check) if you don't use it frequently.
>>
>>Bearman
>>

> Check out the prices for ink cartridges for the Canon i560. Pretty damn
> cheap.
>
> Bearman

Actually, check out the total price/page. IIRC Canon uses a separate
print head whereas HP incorporates the print head into the cartridge.
When you buy a new cartridge from HP you buy a new print head. When the
Canon print head wears out you pay extra to replace it. Don't recall how
many pages it's good for but I remember several years ago when I had a
Canon it was cheaper to replace the printer than to replace the print
head. (Or course while the original print head was wearing out printer
prices had dropped dramatically. But the print head prices had not.)

Also check the cartridge capacity (in number of pages at similar
coverage-usually 5%). I've seen it with laser toner cartridges-one
printer I have costs $50 for a replacement cartridge while the other
costs $200. But the cartridge on the first produces 4K pages while the
cartridge on the 2nd produces 20K. Turns out that the 2nd is cheaper per
page even though it appears to be much more expensive at first glance.

Plato

Howie wrote:

> What are the ink cartridge costs to replace and/or refill? (that is my
> biggest focus when buying a printer)...

I've been using a Cannon S200 for over a year now. Black ink carts are
six bucks and color 12 bucks. Never a paper jam. No problems at all. Odd
that it was a 39 dollar printer. Best and most economic printer I ever
had.