Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > network between win 98 and win xp

network between win 98 and win xp

Slovokaj

I have a BILLION wireless ADSL VPN Firewall Router, and i have also bought a
new Belkin wireless network card which i have plugged and installed into my
laptop which runs Windows 98. When i check the network Monitor utility it
says that my wireless network card is connected to the network.

The problem is that i cannot access the internet and file sharing on the
laptop. THE standalone (which runs XP) accesses the internet without any
problems.

Both Windows XP and the router have their firewalls disabled. When attaching
the laptop to the router via CAT 5 cable the file sharing and internet work
withput problems.

Need help ASAP
THANKS ALOT

Duane Arnold

"Slovokaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a BILLION wireless ADSL VPN Firewall Router, and i have also
> bought a new Belkin wireless network card which i have plugged and
> installed into my laptop which runs Windows 98. When i check the
> network Monitor utility it says that my wireless network card is
> connected to the network.
>
> The problem is that i cannot access the internet and file sharing on
> the laptop. THE standalone (which runs XP) accesses the internet
> without any problems.

> Both Windows XP and the router have their firewalls disabled. When
> attaching the laptop to the router via CAT 5 cable the file sharing
> and internet work withput problems.

Well in some cases NetBeui and wireless when it comes to a wired and
wireless machine not communication is a problem. This is due to NetBeui is
not a routable protocol.

My solution to the issue was to use NWlink as the protocol on my Win 2K
machines at the time that resolved the issue. My problem is as long as WEP
was enabled on the Linksys router and card, the machines couldn't share
resources, without, WEP enabled, and they could. Now, WEP is enables and
NWlink is used.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...nkconcepts.htm

http://www.tomax7.com/winxp/Windows%...0Protocol1.doc

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d.../all/reskit/en
-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-
us/prch_cnn_lafg.asp

The machines are XP Pro now.

Duane

Lenny Vaz

Make sure the computers are on the same workgroup.

--

Lenny Vaz

news:(E-Mail Removed)...