Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Don't throw away your retail boxed AMD heatsink/fan.

Don't throw away your retail boxed AMD heatsink/fan.

Michael-NC

Even if you don't use it. Keep it around because AMD will ask you for that
heatsink should you need to RMA your processor during the 3 year warranty
period. I just learned this myself but AMD was kind enough to grant me a
"One time OEM exemption" and RMA a 2100 Palomino for me. Had I kept the
heatsink, I would have received a new CPU with a new heatsink and an
additional one year warranty. I'm just lucky to get whatever they send me
now.

Joe

Good to know but just out of curiosity how many non overclocked processors
have you seen go out? I don't repair them for a living but have worked on
and built quite a few and have replace numerous CD's, Hard Drives, Floppies
and power supplies and a few video cards and modems but not one single
processor.

Joe

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E_7Pc.227201$(E-Mail Removed) r.com...
> Even if you don't use it. Keep it around because AMD will ask you for that
> heatsink should you need to RMA your processor during the 3 year warranty
> period. I just learned this myself but AMD was kind enough to grant me a
> "One time OEM exemption" and RMA a 2100 Palomino for me. Had I kept the
> heatsink, I would have received a new CPU with a new heatsink and an
> additional one year warranty. I'm just lucky to get whatever they send me
> now.

Michael-NC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good to know but just out of curiosity how many non overclocked processors
> have you seen go out? I don't repair them for a living but have worked on
> and built quite a few and have replace numerous CD's, Hard Drives,

Floppies
> and power supplies and a few video cards and modems but not one single
> processor.
>
> Joe

I admit, it's rare but that Palomino went out on me. It started being
recognized as a 500 or 667 MHz cpu, depending on what fsb was selected.
Anyhows, if you do buy a retail CPU, keep that heatsink, you never know.

> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:E_7Pc.227201$(E-Mail Removed) r.com...
> > Even if you don't use it. Keep it around because AMD will ask you for

that
> > heatsink should you need to RMA your processor during the 3 year

warranty
> > period. I just learned this myself but AMD was kind enough to grant me a
> > "One time OEM exemption" and RMA a 2100 Palomino for me. Had I kept the
> > heatsink, I would have received a new CPU with a new heatsink and an
> > additional one year warranty. I'm just lucky to get whatever they send

me
> > now.

Ionizer

Spam report id 1151176081 sent to: abuse @ verizon.net