Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Win 98 Icon

Win 98 Icon

mcp6453

Can Windows 98 display the two-computer icon in the System Tray like
Win2K and XP do when the network connection is active? I cannot find a
way to do so. Maybe an add-on utility is available to do so.

Thor

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can Windows 98 display the two-computer icon in the System Tray like
> Win2K and XP do when the network connection is active? I cannot find a
> way to do so. Maybe an add-on utility is available to do so.

It only works for dialup in Win9x. There is undoubtedly a 3rd party utility
out there that can give a tray indicator for LAN activity though. I've seen
several here and there over the years. Try www.utilitygeek.com . They might
have something that will do the job.

Michael-NC

Just a thought, ZoneAlarm shows network activity but it is indisguishable
from net activity.

Thor wrote:

> "mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can Windows 98 display the two-computer icon in the System Tray like
> > Win2K and XP do when the network connection is active? I cannot find a
> > way to do so. Maybe an add-on utility is available to do so.

> It only works for dialup in Win9x. There is undoubtedly a 3rd party utility
> out there that can give a tray indicator for LAN activity though. I've seen
> several here and there over the years. Try www.utilitygeek.com . They might
> have something that will do the job.

Can't find one there. A search for "icon" only reveals three hits. If
anyone knows of such a utility, I would appreciate hearing about it.
Thanks!

Michael

I found a free program from download.com called Lan Light. It appears
to do exactly what you want. Hope that helps
Michael

Michael wrote:

> I found a free program from download.com called Lan Light. It appears
> to do exactly what you want. Hope that helps
> Michael
>
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:18:01 GMT, mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Can Windows 98 display the two-computer icon in the System Tray like
> >Win2K and XP do when the network connection is active? I cannot find a
> >way to do so. Maybe an add-on utility is available to do so.

I did a search for this utility at download.com, but I could not locate
it. Do you think you could retrace your steps and provide a link? I even
did a Google search of the site (site:download.com "lan light") but that
did not provide any results, either.

J KScot

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael wrote:
>>
>> I found a free program from download.com called Lan Light. It appears
>> to do exactly what you want. Hope that helps
>> Michael
>>
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:18:01 GMT, mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Can Windows 98 display the two-computer icon in the System Tray like
>> >Win2K and XP do when the network connection is active? I cannot find a
>> >way to do so. Maybe an add-on utility is available to do so.

> I did a search for this utility at download.com, but I could not locate
> it. Do you think you could retrace your steps and provide a link? I even
> did a Google search of the site (site:download.com "lan light") but that
> did not provide any results, either.

Try "lanlight" (one word).

jim

mcp6453

J KScot wrote:

> "mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Michael wrote:
> >>
> >> I found a free program from download.com called Lan Light. It appears
> >> to do exactly what you want. Hope that helps
> >> Michael

> > I did a search for this utility at download.com, but I could not locate
> > it. Do you think you could retrace your steps and provide a link? I even
> > did a Google search of the site (site:download.com "lan light") but that
> > did not provide any results, either.

> Try "lanlight" (one word).
>
> jim

Bingo. Thanks. Duh.