Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > A couple (read: lot) of new comp questions

A couple (read: lot) of new comp questions

Beowulf

I'm going to build a new computer very soon and I have a number of
things I'd like to have cleared up. I havent built a computer since
back when the 1 Ghz computer was what everyone drooled over.
(In fact, im still running with a 3DFX Voodoo5)

First, I've always used a stock heatsink and fan combo, knowing that
they dont perform as well as an aftermarket one. I'm going to buy a
939 Athlon 64 FX-53, and I basically want to know if anyone has
experience with the stock heatsink and fan being adequate, and if not,
what is the proper way to apply thermal grease and the rest of the
good stuff about an aftermarket setup. Heatsink / Fan
recommendations? My case will have temperature sensors, as will the
motherboard I'm pretty sure... what are good temps to keep for the
CPU, video, and HDD?

Second, I've never installed a RAID array before. Im looking at 2
SATA 80GBs (i dont use a lot of space, i just want RAID 0 for
performance, I'll also not be installing any plain IDE hard drives).
I would think that you set this up from the very beginning, even
before you install the OS, right? I'm going to use the Asus A8V, if
someone has experience with this already... i've never done it before.

Third: This might seem like an odd question, but woudl there be any
performance benefits to buying a PCI ethernet card instead of using
the motherboard's onboard one? I'm already going to set a sound card
because ive heard that there is a performance hit for relying on the
motherboard sound (plus I love my audigy 2 anyway... im going to yank
it and put it in my new computer). True, or just some crap I heard?

Fourth (this post was going to be short but i keep thinking up
questions to ask now so I dont ask later), RAM. I already made the
mistake of assuming 939 takes registerd ram, like the 940s did. Now
that i'm over that, whats a better way to go? I've decided on 2x512
for right now, but I'm really thinking about 2GB. First, I'm trying
to not spend near $600 on RAM, so if I get 2GB, would my performance
be hurt by having 2gb of slower RAM (like CAS 2.5 or 3) as opposed to
1gb of the "performance" RAM i'm going to get thats like 2-2-2-5 or
something similar? If not, should I go with 2x1Gb or 4x512 for my 2Gb
setup?

I also have some questions about the motherboards for the skt 939's.
I'm basically only looking at the Asus A8V's I dont care about the
wireless features on the A8V deluxe... and I havent seen any good
comparisons of the boards, so does anyone known if there are any good
reasons to spend the extra money on the deluxe?

Alrighty
Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.
-JM

Ian Moyce

Beowulf wrote:

> I'm going to build a new computer very soon and I have a number of
> things I'd like to have cleared up. I havent built a computer since
> back when the 1 Ghz computer was what everyone drooled over.
> (In fact, im still running with a 3DFX Voodoo5)

> First, I've always used a stock heatsink and fan combo, knowing that
> they dont perform as well as an aftermarket one. I'm going to buy a
> 939 Athlon 64 FX-53, and I basically want to know if anyone has
> experience with the stock heatsink and fan being adequate, and if not,
> what is the proper way to apply thermal grease and the rest of the
> good stuff about an aftermarket setup. Heatsink / Fan
> recommendations? My case will have temperature sensors, as will the
> motherboard I'm pretty sure... what are good temps to keep for the
> CPU, video, and HDD?

google

> Second, I've never installed a RAID array before. Im looking at 2
> SATA 80GBs (i dont use a lot of space, i just want RAID 0 for
> performance, I'll also not be installing any plain IDE hard drives).
> I would think that you set this up from the very beginning, even
> before you install the OS, right? I'm going to use the Asus A8V, if
> someone has experience with this already... i've never done it before.

google

> Third: This might seem like an odd question, but woudl there be any
> performance benefits to buying a PCI ethernet card instead of using
> the motherboard's onboard one? I'm already going to set a sound card
> because ive heard that there is a performance hit for relying on the
> motherboard sound (plus I love my audigy 2 anyway... im going to yank
> it and put it in my new computer). True, or just some crap I heard?

google

> Fourth (this post was going to be short but i keep thinking up
> questions to ask now so I dont ask later), RAM. I already made the
> mistake of assuming 939 takes registerd ram, like the 940s did. Now
> that i'm over that, whats a better way to go? I've decided on 2x512
> for right now, but I'm really thinking about 2GB. First, I'm trying
> to not spend near $600 on RAM, so if I get 2GB, would my performance
> be hurt by having 2gb of slower RAM (like CAS 2.5 or 3) as opposed to
> 1gb of the "performance" RAM i'm going to get thats like
> 2-2-2-5 or
> something similar? If not, should I go with 2x1Gb or 4x512 for my 2Gb
> setup?

google

> I also have some questions about the motherboards for the skt 939's.
> I'm basically only looking at the Asus A8V's I dont care about the
> wireless features on the A8V deluxe... and I havent seen any good
> comparisons of the boards, so does anyone known if there are any good
> reasons to spend the extra money on the deluxe?

google.
I have bought an Asus mobo, the delux version is better. the ****er keeps
bitching on about the CPU being over clocked when I bugger around, but I
like the talking instead of the beeping.