Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > System IRQ's

Reply
Thread Tools

System IRQ's

 
 
Jerry G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
I am looking at my system in both system information, and in the computer
properties.

I cannot see the following IRQ's: 3, 5, 7, 11, and 17. I am very
curious to know why Windows did not assign them, and doubled up others to be
shared?

The second thing is that I cannot seem to figure out what USB device is on
what USB Universal Host Controller. Each controller has a set of ports in
association with it. I found the Host Controller addresses.

What I want to do in the end, is to determine exactly which USB device is in
which port when viewing it in the System Hardware Properties.

It turns out that one of the USB Host Controllers is being shared in IRQ
with the ATA hard drive. Another Host Controller is being shared with a
modem. There is another one that is being shared with the video display.

I have an HP 4670 Scanner, and it is giving loss of communications problems
because of the IRQ sharing. I found this out after doing a lot of searching.
To get around that, I used the USB Host Controller that in shared with the
least demand. This was the one that is shared with the modem. The scanner
was now, only failing to communicate once in a while.

To resolve the issue, I added an active USB hub to act as a type of buffer.
It actually is slowing down the USB communications. With this approach, the
scanner seems to be working for now. I tried it many times over the coarse
of the evening, and it has not failed yet.

What I am looking for, is if someone would have an explanation for this???

--

Jerry G.
==========================




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Linda
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
15 is the highest IRQ number.

--
Hmmm, they've got internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson
"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cef7lp$bev$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking at my system in both system information, and in the computer
> properties.
>
> I cannot see the following IRQ's: 3, 5, 7, 11, and 17. I am very
> curious to know why Windows did not assign them, and doubled up others to

be
> shared?
>
> The second thing is that I cannot seem to figure out what USB device is on
> what USB Universal Host Controller. Each controller has a set of ports in
> association with it. I found the Host Controller addresses.
>
> What I want to do in the end, is to determine exactly which USB device is

in
> which port when viewing it in the System Hardware Properties.
>
> It turns out that one of the USB Host Controllers is being shared in IRQ
> with the ATA hard drive. Another Host Controller is being shared with a
> modem. There is another one that is being shared with the video display.
>
> I have an HP 4670 Scanner, and it is giving loss of communications

problems
> because of the IRQ sharing. I found this out after doing a lot of

searching.
> To get around that, I used the USB Host Controller that in shared with the
> least demand. This was the one that is shared with the modem. The scanner
> was now, only failing to communicate once in a while.
>
> To resolve the issue, I added an active USB hub to act as a type of

buffer.
> It actually is slowing down the USB communications. With this approach,

the
> scanner seems to be working for now. I tried it many times over the coarse
> of the evening, and it has not failed yet.
>
> What I am looking for, is if someone would have an explanation for this???
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> ==========================
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Grinder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
Jerry G. wrote:
> I am looking at my system in both system information, and in the computer
> properties.
>
> I cannot see the following IRQ's: 3, 5, 7, 11, and 17. I am very
> curious to know why Windows did not assign them, and doubled up others to be
> shared?
>
> The second thing is that I cannot seem to figure out what USB device is on
> what USB Universal Host Controller. Each controller has a set of ports in
> association with it. I found the Host Controller addresses.
>
> What I want to do in the end, is to determine exactly which USB device is in
> which port when viewing it in the System Hardware Properties.
>
> It turns out that one of the USB Host Controllers is being shared in IRQ
> with the ATA hard drive. Another Host Controller is being shared with a
> modem. There is another one that is being shared with the video display.
>
> I have an HP 4670 Scanner, and it is giving loss of communications problems
> because of the IRQ sharing. I found this out after doing a lot of searching.
> To get around that, I used the USB Host Controller that in shared with the
> least demand. This was the one that is shared with the modem. The scanner
> was now, only failing to communicate once in a while.
>
> To resolve the issue, I added an active USB hub to act as a type of buffer.
> It actually is slowing down the USB communications. With this approach, the
> scanner seems to be working for now. I tried it many times over the coarse
> of the evening, and it has not failed yet.
>
> What I am looking for, is if someone would have an explanation for this???


I won't pretend that I have a comprehensive view of this either. Here
is some dated information, however, for what it's worth:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mrscary/devenum.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
"Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)1> wrote in news:s1GOc.24505$K53.7584@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

> 15 is the highest IRQ number.
>


No, Windows 2000/XP can assign virtual IRQs. Example from the computer I'm
in front of:

IRQ 18 - ATI Capture Card
IRQ 19 - GF4 Ti4400
IRQ 20 - 2 10/100 NICs (a 3com and an nVidia), 2 nVidia audio devices, a
firewire controller, 2 USB controllers, and the PCI to USB controller.

There are only 15 /physical/ IRQs


--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Xolak the gladiatorial
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
Linda wrote:
> 15 is the highest IRQ number.


BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You ****witted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up to 24.

>> I am looking at my system in both system information, and in the
>> computer properties.
>>
>> I cannot see the following IRQ's: 3, 5, 7, 11, and 17. I am
>> very curious to know why Windows did not assign them, and doubled up
>> others to be shared?
>>
>> The second thing is that I cannot seem to figure out what USB device
>> is on what USB Universal Host Controller. Each controller has a set
>> of ports in association with it. I found the Host Controller
>> addresses.
>>
>> What I want to do in the end, is to determine exactly which USB
>> device is in which port when viewing it in the System Hardware
>> Properties.
>>
>> It turns out that one of the USB Host Controllers is being shared in
>> IRQ with the ATA hard drive. Another Host Controller is being shared
>> with a modem. There is another one that is being shared with the
>> video display.
>>
>> I have an HP 4670 Scanner, and it is giving loss of communications
>> problems because of the IRQ sharing. I found this out after doing a
>> lot of searching. To get around that, I used the USB Host Controller
>> that in shared with the least demand. This was the one that is
>> shared with the modem. The scanner was now, only failing to
>> communicate once in a while.
>>
>> To resolve the issue, I added an active USB hub to act as a type of
>> buffer. It actually is slowing down the USB communications. With
>> this approach, the scanner seems to be working for now. I tried it
>> many times over the coarse of the evening, and it has not failed yet.
>>
>> What I am looking for, is if someone would have an explanation for
>> this???
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jerry G.
>> ==========================





 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
Xolak the gladiatorial wrote:
> Linda wrote:
>> 15 is the highest IRQ number.

>
> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You ****witted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up to
> 24.


No, you've got to listen properly to the nice man, that's *IQ*, not IRQ.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Wirg the Giblet-impairer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
~misfit~ wrote:
> Xolak the gladiatorial wrote:
>> Linda wrote:
>>> 15 is the highest IRQ number.

>>
>> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You ****witted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up to
>> 24.

>
> No, you've got to listen properly to the nice man, that's *IQ*, not
> IRQ.


You know, that lame was just so ****ing lame and just so ****ing obvious I
concluded that there would not be a ****wit on the entire planet who would
go within a ****ing mile of it, yet there you are.




 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
Wirg the Giblet-impairer wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Xolak the gladiatorial wrote:
>>> Linda wrote:
>>>> 15 is the highest IRQ number.
>>>
>>> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You ****witted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up
>>> to
>>> 24.

>>
>> No, you've got to listen properly to the nice man, that's *IQ*, not
>> IRQ.

>
> You know, that lame was just so ****ing lame and just so ****ing
> obvious I concluded that there would not be a ****wit on the entire
> planet who would go within a ****ing mile of it, yet there you are.


LOL. Shows just how right your conclusions can be.

BTW, I'm sure you missed at least two opportunities to fit '****ing' in that
post, maybe more.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Darryl Grandspear-Socklecheck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
~misfit~ wrote:
> Wirg the Giblet-impairer wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Xolak the gladiatorial wrote:
>>>> Linda wrote:
>>>>> 15 is the highest IRQ number.
>>>>
>>>> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You ****witted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up
>>>> to
>>>> 24.
>>>
>>> No, you've got to listen properly to the nice man, that's *IQ*, not
>>> IRQ.

>>
>> You know, that lame was just so ****ing lame and just so ****ing
>> obvious I concluded that there would not be a ****wit on the entire
>> planet who would go within a ****ing mile of it, yet there you are.

>
> LOL. Shows just how right your conclusions can be.


It more reflects your lameness.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Chaos Master
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
Jerry G. caused an illegal operation in module
<cef7lp$bev$(E-Mail Removed)> at (E-Mail Removed) and will be closed:
> I am looking at my system in both system information, and in the computer
> properties.
>
> I cannot see the following IRQ's: 3, 5, 7, 11, and 17. I am very
> curious to know why Windows did not assign them, and doubled up others to be
> shared?


Same problem here... my modem is sharing IRQ with nothing (it seems) but it
still says the IRQ is shared!


> To resolve the issue, I added an active USB hub to act as a type of buffer.
> It actually is slowing down the USB communications. With this approach, the
> scanner seems to be working for now. I tried it many times over the coarse
> of the evening, and it has not failed yet.
>
> What I am looking for, is if someone would have an explanation for this???


Check the BIOS to see if the IRQ setup is configured to be automatical, and if
there's 'Assign IRQ for VGA' enabled. I've had similar problems with my modem
(slow connection, blue screen)

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
MSN: (E-Mail Removed) http://marreka.no-ip.com
"You touch the green wire. You get hit by 75kV.
You are electrocuted. DYWYPI? [yn]"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
System.Security.SecurityException: Error de solicitud de permiso de tipo System.Net.WebPermission, System, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089. Luis Esteban Valencia ASP .Net 0 07-14-2005 01:43 PM
Streaming with System.IO and System.Net Charles A. Lackman ASP .Net 4 01-15-2005 08:00 PM
System error 203 The System could not find environment option sfunds sfunds ASP .Net 9 05-06-2004 09:46 AM
The type System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox in Assembly System.Web...error Matt ASP .Net 2 07-24-2003 06:17 PM
Method not found: System.Collections.Specialized.NameValueCollection System.Web.HttpRequest.get_QueryString(). Mark Miller ASP .Net 1 07-18-2003 08:48 PM



Advertisments