Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Damn HP!!!

Damn HP!!!

Calvin Crumrine

Just had to throw out over $100 of HP ink cartridges due to expiration
dates. No other reason, as far as I can tell the ink was still good but
the printers wouldn't work with those cartridges.

The worst part is that this won't be the last time-unless I get rid of
those damned HP printers. (And from what I've heard that won't help-most
printer manufacturers have taken this route to rip us off.)

I mostly use the ink jets when I need to print in color-and I don't
print in color a lot. I've learned 2 things over the years. First, when
you run out of ink you'll do so when you're on a deadline. Second, if
you're limited to a few local stores (like I am-I simply *can't* fly out
at a moment's notice to buy an ink cartridge) then you can't count on
them having the cartridges you need in stock-and that assumes that
they're open when you run out (usually in the middle of the night).

So I've learned to keep a spare cartridge 'on the shelf'-but those are
the ones that I just threw out! Like I said, I don't print in color a
lot and these last cartridges lasted longer than I expected-long enough
for my spare cartridges to expire. Thank god I have several ink
jets-enough that I could finish the job. But if I can't keep a spare
cartidge on the shelf then what the hell can I do? Other than get rid of
HP, that is.

Suggestions?

Michael-NC

Plenty of stuff on the net about this...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E3C0114E8

http://www.interex.org/insidehp/arti...p02.04.03.html
End Around: Chicago Tribune reporter Jim Coates wrote that his HP printer
quit on him one day, telling him that the black ink cartridge had expired. A
spare ink cartridge yielded the same results. HP support told Coates that
the printer software reads a date code on cartridges and blocks their use
after a set length of time. He was told the block could not be bypassed. But
it can: "The best way to defeat such a software scheme that uses a
computer's internal clock to enforce software copy protection or check
expiration dates is to set the computer to a past year when the days of the
week for every month fall on the same dates as this year," Coates wrote. "Do
this and your calendar continues to be accurate, and you fool the enforcers.
The pattern of dates associated with specific days usually rotates every six
or 11 years and always every 28 years. So, the 1997 calendar is exactly like
the 2003 calendar, and so is the 1975 one. Set your clock/calendar to either
year to fool the printer cartridge expiration-date check."

From Google Groups:
Two approaches will easily defeat almost any HP ink expiry date.
1) Cycle 3 HP c501x ink cartridges (even epired cartridges work well).
2) Remove the CMOS battery from the MPU board; short; reinstall.

The first method entails momentarily replacing the existing expiring
HP c5010 & c5011 officejet d145 ink cartridges with an existing ink
cartridge (this second HP ink cartridge can be expired or not); then
cycling the power on the Hewlett Packard Office Jet d145 all-in-one
printer. Repeat with a third HP c5011 & c5010 ink cartridge (expired
or not). Replace the original after the obligatory cycling of the
power on the HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer.

That stuff about print heads being destroyed by running out of ink is
pure unadulterated HP FUD (hey, he filled the ink - it never ran the
ink dry so dry print heads is not of concern in this excellent ng
thread).

The second method entals repairing the HP Office Jet d145 printer by
removing the restriction on date altogether. Simply disconnect the MPU
board CMOS battery (just remove it from the clips momentarily); short
the terminals of the MPU board battery connector (with the 120v power
off, of course); then re-connect.

The HP OfficeJet d145 boot-up sequence (which normally occurs only at
the factory) will go through a series of questions such as:
- What is the current date & time?
(change it by a year or two but not three!)
- How many sheets of paper for the B&W ink low-ink message?
- How many sheets of paper for the color ink low-ink message?

This proves HP is counting paper sheets - not ink drops or ink
levels!.

These methods have worked for thousands of successful HP printer
homeowners to eliminate the Hewlett Packard illegal restriction on
refilling HP printer ink cartridges. They will work for you too!

TT

"Calvin Crumrine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just had to throw out over $100 of HP ink cartridges due to expiration
> dates. No other reason, as far as I can tell the ink was still good but
> the printers wouldn't work with those cartridges.
>
> The worst part is that this won't be the last time-unless I get rid of
> those damned HP printers. (And from what I've heard that won't help-most
> printer manufacturers have taken this route to rip us off.)
>
> I mostly use the ink jets when I need to print in color-and I don't
> print in color a lot. I've learned 2 things over the years. First, when
> you run out of ink you'll do so when you're on a deadline. Second, if
> you're limited to a few local stores (like I am-I simply *can't* fly out
> at a moment's notice to buy an ink cartridge) then you can't count on
> them having the cartridges you need in stock-and that assumes that
> they're open when you run out (usually in the middle of the night).
>
> So I've learned to keep a spare cartridge 'on the shelf'-but those are
> the ones that I just threw out! Like I said, I don't print in color a
> lot and these last cartridges lasted longer than I expected-long enough
> for my spare cartridges to expire. Thank god I have several ink
> jets-enough that I could finish the job. But if I can't keep a spare
> cartidge on the shelf then what the hell can I do? Other than get rid of
> HP, that is.
>
> Suggestions?

Jerry G.

Does this problem also exist with the HP 930 series printers? I have a
number of spare cartridges.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5CZMc.212681$(E-Mail Removed) r.com...
[...]

From Google Groups:
> [...]

> print in color a lot. I've learned 2 things over the years. First, when
> you run out of ink you'll do so when you're on a deadline. Second, if
> you're limited to a few local stores (like I am-I simply *can't* fly out
> at a moment's notice to buy an ink cartridge) then you can't count on
> them having the cartridges you need in stock-and that assumes that
> they're open when you run out (usually in the middle of the night).
>
> So I've learned to keep a spare cartridge 'on the shelf'-but those are
> the ones that I just threw out! Like I said, I don't print in color a
> lot and these last cartridges lasted longer than I expected-long enough
> for my spare cartridges to expire. Thank god I have several ink
> jets-enough that I could finish the job. But if I can't keep a spare
> cartidge on the shelf then what the hell can I do? Other than get rid of

Thor

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ce5emp$grc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does this problem also exist with the HP 930 series printers? I have a
> number of spare cartridges.

I have a Photosmart 1215, and the black cart has been in there for well over
a year. No expiration problems yet. Seems like it must be on some of the
very newest of models. I had never heard of this issue prior to this thread.
If that is what HP is doing, it is reprehensible, and I hope they get sued
for it.

Calvin Crumrine

Thor wrote:

> "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ce5emp$grc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Does this problem also exist with the HP 930 series printers? I have a
>>number of spare cartridges.
>>

> I have a Photosmart 1215, and the black cart has been in there for well over
> a year. No expiration problems yet. Seems like it must be on some of the
> very newest of models. I had never heard of this issue prior to this thread.
> If that is what HP is doing, it is reprehensible, and I hope they get sued
> for it.

One of my printers is a Photosmart 1115-about 2 years old IIRC. The
other is an Officejet 6110-a little over a year old IIRC. They use
different cartridges, naturally, and exhibited different symptoms but
both returned to normal operation after I installed a cartridge I'd just
purchased. This time I really looked, both at the box before I purchased
& at the cartridge when I installed it.

I noticed on the box a 'best installed by' date with a limited warranty
that was only good for 6 months after that date. This isn't real
prominent but if you look for it, it's there.

I also noticed several old cartridges still on the rack in the store.
(In particular, there were about 30 HP 45 cartridges on the rack. 25 of
them were dated July 2004. Others were dated as far back as November
2003.) The 'expired' cartridges I had were purchased shortly after I
bought the Officejet-about a year ago. Who knows how long they'd been in
the store? I suspect that I got old stock. (A couple of the cartridges
it's very likely-I got them on closeout when the local K-mart shut down.
I knew at the time that they were hauling stuff out of the far corners
of their warehouse, but never dreamed that the cartridges had an
expiration date.)

When I installed the cartridges I took a good look at them & noticed a
date stamped on the cartridge itself. I no longer remember the exact
date (and I'm not at my printer so I can't look) but it was sometime in
2006 or 2007. Well over a year from the 'best installed by' date. So it
appears that HP gives ample time to use up a cartridge-if it's new when
you install it. My problem, I suspect (still no answer from HP) is that
I got old stock & then left it on my shelf for over a year. The
cartridges that didn't work had dates stamped on them in 2003 & early 2004.

Michael-NC

"Calvin Crumrine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
>
> > "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ce5emp$grc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Does this problem also exist with the HP 930 series printers? I have a
> >>number of spare cartridges.
> >>

> > I have a Photosmart 1215, and the black cart has been in there for well

over
> > a year. No expiration problems yet. Seems like it must be on some of the
> > very newest of models. I had never heard of this issue prior to this

thread.
> > If that is what HP is doing, it is reprehensible, and I hope they get

sued
> > for it.
> >

> One of my printers is a Photosmart 1115-about 2 years old IIRC. The
> other is an Officejet 6110-a little over a year old IIRC. They use
> different cartridges, naturally, and exhibited different symptoms but
> both returned to normal operation after I installed a cartridge I'd just
> purchased. This time I really looked, both at the box before I purchased
> & at the cartridge when I installed it.
>
> I noticed on the box a 'best installed by' date with a limited warranty
> that was only good for 6 months after that date. This isn't real
> prominent but if you look for it, it's there.
>
> I also noticed several old cartridges still on the rack in the store.
> (In particular, there were about 30 HP 45 cartridges on the rack. 25 of
> them were dated July 2004. Others were dated as far back as November
> 2003.) The 'expired' cartridges I had were purchased shortly after I
> bought the Officejet-about a year ago. Who knows how long they'd been in
> the store? I suspect that I got old stock. (A couple of the cartridges
> it's very likely-I got them on closeout when the local K-mart shut down.
> I knew at the time that they were hauling stuff out of the far corners
> of their warehouse, but never dreamed that the cartridges had an
> expiration date.)
>
> When I installed the cartridges I took a good look at them & noticed a
> date stamped on the cartridge itself. I no longer remember the exact
> date (and I'm not at my printer so I can't look) but it was sometime in
> 2006 or 2007. Well over a year from the 'best installed by' date. So it
> appears that HP gives ample time to use up a cartridge-if it's new when
> you install it. My problem, I suspect (still no answer from HP) is that
> I got old stock & then left it on my shelf for over a year. The
> cartridges that didn't work had dates stamped on them in 2003 & early

2004.

You should have been able to use them. Did you call HP? I see vendors
selling expired cartridges, guaranteeing they will work. Apparently, the
date is burned into the cartridge when it is installed, regardless of the
date???

Calvin Crumrine

Michael-NC wrote:
> "Calvin Crumrine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Thor wrote:
>>

>>>"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:ce5emp$grc$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>I have a Photosmart 1215, and the black cart has been in there for well

> over
>
>>>a year. No expiration problems yet. Seems like it must be on some of the
>>>very newest of models. I had never heard of this issue prior to this

> thread.
>
>>>If that is what HP is doing, it is reprehensible, and I hope they get

> sued
>
>>>for it.
>>>

>>One of my printers is a Photosmart 1115-about 2 years old IIRC. The
>>other is an Officejet 6110-a little over a year old IIRC. They use
>>different cartridges, naturally, and exhibited different symptoms but
>>both returned to normal operation after I installed a cartridge I'd just
>>purchased. This time I really looked, both at the box before I purchased
>>& at the cartridge when I installed it.
>>
>>I noticed on the box a 'best installed by' date with a limited warranty
>>that was only good for 6 months after that date. This isn't real
>>prominent but if you look for it, it's there.
>>
>>I also noticed several old cartridges still on the rack in the store.
>>(In particular, there were about 30 HP 45 cartridges on the rack. 25 of
>>them were dated July 2004. Others were dated as far back as November
>>2003.) The 'expired' cartridges I had were purchased shortly after I
>>bought the Officejet-about a year ago. Who knows how long they'd been in
>>the store? I suspect that I got old stock. (A couple of the cartridges
>>it's very likely-I got them on closeout when the local K-mart shut down.
>>I knew at the time that they were hauling stuff out of the far corners
>>of their warehouse, but never dreamed that the cartridges had an
>>expiration date.)
>>
>>When I installed the cartridges I took a good look at them & noticed a
>>date stamped on the cartridge itself. I no longer remember the exact
>>date (and I'm not at my printer so I can't look) but it was sometime in
>>2006 or 2007. Well over a year from the 'best installed by' date. So it
>>appears that HP gives ample time to use up a cartridge-if it's new when
>>you install it. My problem, I suspect (still no answer from HP) is that
>>I got old stock & then left it on my shelf for over a year. The
>>cartridges that didn't work had dates stamped on them in 2003 & early

> 2004.
>
> You should have been able to use them. Did you call HP? I see vendors
> selling expired cartridges, guaranteeing they will work. Apparently, the
> date is burned into the cartridge when it is installed, regardless of the
> date???

Sent an email to HP, no reply yet (except the auto-reply "we've received
your message, we care about you-chump")

Coincidences are always possible, but the circumstances provide prima
facie proof that the dates (either manufacturing or expiration-just two
ends of the same range) are in the cartridge before it's installed.

Evidence: Two different HP printers using 2 different series of
cartridges. Both exhibited problems with unused cartridges that were
date stamped prior to the installation date. Both worked fine with new
cartridges that were date stamped in the future.

I'll admit that my conclusions would be firmer if I had more samples (if
I remember my statistics class the minimum sample universe from which
you can draw statistically significant conclusions is something like 30)
but I'm not inclined to spend my money trying to prove this. If HP
denies what I see for myself then I'll just go elsewhere. Bye-bye, HP.

Michael-NC

> [...]

> your message, we care about you-chump")
>
> Coincidences are always possible, but the circumstances provide prima
> facie proof that the dates (either manufacturing or expiration-just two
> ends of the same range) are in the cartridge before it's installed.
>
> Evidence: Two different HP printers using 2 different series of
> cartridges. Both exhibited problems with unused cartridges that were
> date stamped prior to the installation date. Both worked fine with new
> cartridges that were date stamped in the future.
>
> I'll admit that my conclusions would be firmer if I had more samples (if
> I remember my statistics class the minimum sample universe from which
> you can draw statistically significant conclusions is something like 30)
> but I'm not inclined to spend my money trying to prove this. If HP
> denies what I see for myself then I'll just go elsewhere. Bye-bye, HP.

I don't blame you for that one bit. Apparently this expiration scheme is
targeted at business class printers but it's up to individual consumers to
decide whether they support such practices. I certainly wouldn't purchase a
HP product after hearing about this fiasco. Making someone go to the extreme
of setting back a bios clock in order to use their printer with a perfectly
fine, albeit "expired" cartridge to avoid the purchase of a new, overpriced
cartridge is the height of hubris.

Calvin Crumrine

Michael-NC wrote:
> "Calvin Crumrine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Michael-NC wrote:
>>
>>>"Calvin Crumrine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>over

> the

>>>thread.

>>>sued

>>>2004.
>>>
>>>You should have been able to use them. Did you call HP? I see vendors
>>>selling expired cartridges, guaranteeing they will work. Apparently, the
>>>date is burned into the cartridge when it is installed, regardless of

> the
>
>>>date???
>>>

>>Sent an email to HP, no reply yet (except the auto-reply "we've received
>>your message, we care about you-chump")
>>
>>Coincidences are always possible, but the circumstances provide prima
>>facie proof that the dates (either manufacturing or expiration-just two
>>ends of the same range) are in the cartridge before it's installed.
>>
>>Evidence: Two different HP printers using 2 different series of
>>cartridges. Both exhibited problems with unused cartridges that were
>>date stamped prior to the installation date. Both worked fine with new
>>cartridges that were date stamped in the future.
>>
>>I'll admit that my conclusions would be firmer if I had more samples (if
>>I remember my statistics class the minimum sample universe from which
>>you can draw statistically significant conclusions is something like 30)
>>but I'm not inclined to spend my money trying to prove this. If HP
>>denies what I see for myself then I'll just go elsewhere. Bye-bye, HP.

> I don't blame you for that one bit. Apparently this expiration scheme is
> targeted at business class printers but it's up to individual consumers to
> decide whether they support such practices. I certainly wouldn't purchase a
> HP product after hearing about this fiasco. Making someone go to the extreme
> of setting back a bios clock in order to use their printer with a perfectly
> fine, albeit "expired" cartridge to avoid the purchase of a new, overpriced
> cartridge is the height of hubris.

Just ran across this article
http://www.alotofthings.com/inkjetin...arketplace.htm
Although the cartridges mentioned aren't the same as I have the article
does state definitely that some HP (and Lexmark) cartridges have the
expiration dates burned in at time of manufacture, not installation.

Still no reply from HP.

Orak Listalavostok

> Just ran across this article

http://www.alotofthings.com/inkjetin...arketplace.htm
> some HP (and Lexmark) cartridges have the expiration dates burned in
> at the time of manufacture, not the time of installation.

I think there might be two dates 'burned' into the HP 14 c5010a ink
cartridges.
1. FINAL EXPIRATION DATE (dies 4.5 years from date of manufacture)
2. IN-SERVICE DATE (dies 2.5 years from date of initial installation)
The "actual" HP14 ink cartrdige expiry date is the first of these two!

I think the 4.5 year expiry date is burned in at manufacture time;
I think the 30-month expiry date is burned in when you install it.

I don't think HP burns in a serial number;
I think it burns the actual date!

Witness these facts:
Today, Christmas Eve, my color cartridge said it was out of ink.
When I put a second cartridge in, it said the SAME THING even though
the cartridge was full of OEM ink (it was only used ONCE on the day I
bought it). Same with a third OEM full HP 14 color ink cartridge.

I infer that the 30-months contiguous service is burned into the smart
chip at the time of install.

Interesting, since all three cartridges were put in service on the same
day in the same machine, and all three are saying "out of ink" even
though only one can possibly be out of ink, I suspect the date burned
into each cartridge is the SAME DATE (and not some unique serial
number).

That is, I'm surmising, the HP D145 printer is seeing the second and
third ink cartridges EXACTLY the same as the first (it appears). If I
had only put them in service on a DIFFERENT DATE, then perhaps it would
recognize the second and third cartridges as different.

In summary, I think the HP D145 printer is assuming the three ink
cartridges are one and the same because all the HP ojd145 "sees" is
the same date burned into the smart chip on all three (which were put
in initial service in the same machine on that same date months ago).
Does this make any sense?

damn loop John Smith Cisco 3 03-17-2005 05:13 AM
Why is my Mozilla so damn slow? Jukka Hellen Firefox 3 11-27-2003 04:10 AM
god damn ViewState. Lukasz Lacki ASP .Net 5 11-14-2003 05:09 PM
Damn Virus People Kendal Emery MCSE 9 09-22-2003 06:42 PM
Datagrid doesn't refresh after databind - (Damn It) Admin ASP .Net 0 07-08-2003 03:35 AM

Advertisments