Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > CAN Run Scan Disk

CAN Run Scan Disk

Bob

Thank you all for your replies. Thor, as usual, had the answer. I upgraded
my ZoneAlarm (Free) in June to the latest edition and that is when the
problem must have begun.

By uninstalling ZoneAlarm I was able to run the scan disk without problem.
What a nuisance though to have to uninstall ZoneAlarm every time I want to
run scan disk.

By the way, the scan disk function in WindowsXP can be found by going to
Start, My Computer, Local Disk, Right Click, Properties, Tools.

Thanks again,

Bob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several

times
> that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
> following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
> shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
>
> Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I do
> have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of other such
> programs installed and running. Would one of these cause the disk scan

not
> to run?
>
> I have been running scan disk for a couple of years without problem. This
> is a new development.

Just ran into this with a customer's system recently. It was ZoneAlarm that
was causing it. Apparantly one of their drivers loads early enough in the
boot sequence that it screws with the AUTOCHK utility. Try uninstalling that
if you have it.

Trent©

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 19:06:50 -0700, "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thank you all for your replies. Thor, as usual, had the answer. I upgraded
>my ZoneAlarm (Free) in June to the latest edition and that is when the
>problem must have begun.
>
>By uninstalling ZoneAlarm I was able to run the scan disk without problem.
>What a nuisance though to have to uninstall ZoneAlarm every time I want to
>run scan disk.
>
>By the way, the scan disk function in WindowsXP can be found by going to
>Start, My Computer, Local Disk, Right Click, Properties, Tools.
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Bob

That's not scandisk!

Have a nice week...

Trent©

NUDITY...birth control for folks over 50!

Trent©

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 19:06:50 -0700, "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>By uninstalling ZoneAlarm I was able to run the scan disk without problem.
>What a nuisance though to have to uninstall ZoneAlarm every time I want to
>run scan disk.

You shouldn't hafta.

Install it again...as you'll probably do anyway. Then...the next time
you run CHKDSK, try this...

1. Disable Zone Alarm...thru the icon. If that doesn't work...

2. Go into Task Manager...Processes...and end anything that looks
like it pertains to Zone Alarm.

If that doesn't work, try booting into safe mode...then run it.

You might consider getting Kerio. Its easy to configure...and doesn't
cause major problems.

Good luck.