Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Programs taking longer and longer to start up. Help please.

Programs taking longer and longer to start up. Help please.

Goforit

I have XP and have recently deleted a heap of old files to free up some disk
space. Currently I am running with around 60% free space. I defrag my drive
every second day and run Adaware and Spybot daily. I also run Anti-virus at
least every 2nd day.

No matter what I do I can't get my programs to start up any quicker. For
example, I click on the 'Defrag' icon on my desktop and it takes a good
20-30 seconds to load. I click on the 'Works' icon and it takes around the
same time.

This was never the case when the unit was new. I'm wondering if it is normal
for components to deteriorate with age or is there another reason why
Athlon, 256 MB SDRAM, and 40GB hard drive.

With 60% free space, and nothing running in the background, 20-30 seconds is
ridiculous.

Any advice?

Thanks folks.

Matthew

That is unusual. I'm not sure that defragging every other day is good for
your system though. I would recommend only doing it once or twice a month.
Look in the task manager under processes and see how many processes you have
running. closing some unnecessary ones may help your performance. You might
try installing some more RAM too and seeing of that helps.

"Goforit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4100be4c$0$29289$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have XP and have recently deleted a heap of old files to free up some

disk
> space. Currently I am running with around 60% free space. I defrag my

drive
> every second day and run Adaware and Spybot daily. I also run Anti-virus

at
> least every 2nd day.
>
> No matter what I do I can't get my programs to start up any quicker. For
> example, I click on the 'Defrag' icon on my desktop and it takes a good
> 20-30 seconds to load. I click on the 'Works' icon and it takes around the
> same time.
>
> This was never the case when the unit was new. I'm wondering if it is

normal
> for components to deteriorate with age or is there another reason why

AMD
> Athlon, 256 MB SDRAM, and 40GB hard drive.
>
> With 60% free space, and nothing running in the background, 20-30 seconds

is
> ridiculous.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks folks.

WebWalker

Do you have a lot programs running from the Windows' startup ?

Check :-
StartMenu > All Programs > Startup

and check here as well :-
StartMenu > Run > "msconfig" (without quote)
Goto "Startup" tab.

p/s Disk defrag in every two days is kind of extreme to me. It will just
wear out your HD actually ...

--
WebWalker

Trent©

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:25:09 +1000, "Goforit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have XP and have recently deleted a heap of old files to free up some disk
>space. Currently I am running with around 60% free space. I defrag my drive
>every second day and run Adaware and Spybot daily. I also run Anti-virus at
>least every 2nd day.
>
>No matter what I do I can't get my programs to start up any quicker. For
>example, I click on the 'Defrag' icon on my desktop and it takes a good
>20-30 seconds to load. I click on the 'Works' icon and it takes around the
>same time.
>
>This was never the case when the unit was new. I'm wondering if it is normal
>for components to deteriorate with age or is there another reason why
>Athlon, 256 MB SDRAM, and 40GB hard drive.
>
>With 60% free space, and nothing running in the background, 20-30 seconds is
>ridiculous.
>
>Any advice?

1. Compact all the folders in OE.

2. Delete all the temp files in IE.

3. Do a search for *.tmp Delete all that you find.

4. Optimize the registry.

5. Find and run Bootviz 1.3.37.msi Be careful of this one, though.
It won't screw up your system...but it may not boot the way you like
afterward. Some folks don't like its results. So do a clone
first...so you can revert back to the old one if you don't like it.

You might also consider not defraging as often. Although the defrag
portion is good for the drive, the consolidation feature can actually
make things run a bit slower...until the drive finds some open spots
again.

Try a defrag once a week...then go to 2 weeks...then longer. Compare
the results...then choose the time frame that seems the best to you.

Also...consider getting a different defrag program. Vopt is very
good...and gives you some extra options on tweaking your system.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

NUDITY...birth control for folks over 50!

Trent©

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:25:09 +1000, "Goforit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have XP and have recently deleted a heap of old files to free up some disk
>space. Currently I am running with around 60% free space. I defrag my drive
>every second day and run Adaware and Spybot daily. I also run Anti-virus at
>least every 2nd day.

I forgot one thing...

Run a chkdsk. You should do this along with the above maintenance.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

NUDITY...birth control for folks over 50!

Goforit

"Trent©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:25:09 +1000, "Goforit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have XP and have recently deleted a heap of old files to free up some

disk
> >space. Currently I am running with around 60% free space. I defrag my

drive
> >every second day and run Adaware and Spybot daily. I also run Anti-virus

at
> >least every 2nd day.

> I forgot one thing...
>
> Run a chkdsk. You should do this along with the above maintenance.
>

> Have a nice week...
>
> Trent©

Thanks everyone for the replies. Much appreciated. I had no idea a disk
defrag could actually do some damage if used too often.

In relation to chkdsk, I get about half way through it and it just hangs. I
end up having to 'Ctrl, Alt, Delete' to get rid of the thing.

I will also check out Vopt. At the moment, I use Diskeeper Lite. I have also
done 3 of those things you mentioned. i.e. Compact all folders, Delete all
temp files, Delete all found *.tmp files. Don't seem to make a difference.

Unfortunately, my knowledge stops there. I'll have to do a Google on
Optimising the Registry. Wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

Thanks again Trent and others.

Thor

> Thanks everyone for the replies. Much appreciated. I had no idea a disk
> defrag could actually do some damage if used too often.

I think it more appropriate to call it "possibly shortening it's lifespan".
Look, when you defrag, you are putting your drive in a state of operation
where it is doing a maximum of workload, and sustaining that maximum
workload for a lengthy amount of time. If you were to monitor your
harddrive's temperature readings (many harddrives these days have temp
sensing, that can often be monitored by applications like Speedfan, etc.)
you will typically see them increase several degrees during a prolonged high
workload operation like a defrag. These days with 7200, and 10,000 RPM
drives that typically heat up much more than the older 5400, and 4500RPMs
drives, and with case temperatures in general, getting hotter than they used
to get, harddrive temps are getting more important to monitor. A harddrive
is a mechanical device with motors, bearings, fast moving parts, etc. It
stands to reason that when you cause such a mechanical device to frequently
perform at a higher temperature, and at a sustained high workload, you are
probably reducing it's longevity. Some drives may come through it and last
as long as you would require it, before upgrading, and others may not be so
robust, and may fail on you long before they would have otherwise. You
cannot really predict it from a user's standpoint. However, since there is
virtually no benefit gained by defragging so frequently as you are doing,
you may as well give your poor drive a rest. Once per month or couple of
months is more than enough for the typical user. Hell, I'm lucky if I defrag
3 times a year.

> In relation to chkdsk, I get about half way through it and it just hangs.

Not a good sign. You may want to get a utility that can retrieve the
S.M.A.R.T data from the harddrive, and see if the drive has any reallocated
sectors. Get Speedfan, and it will tell you. It will also let you monitor
your drive's temperature if it has an internal sensor.

Trent©

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:59:59 +1000, "Goforit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks everyone for the replies. Much appreciated. I had no idea a disk
>defrag could actually do some damage if used too often.

It doesn't really do any damage. Just remember that most defrag
programs work in 2 segments...the defrag...and then the consolidation.
You can often get better results if you bypass the consolidation.

>In relation to chkdsk, I get about half way through it and it just hangs. I
>end up having to 'Ctrl, Alt, Delete' to get rid of the thing.>

Let it run for an hour or so...THEN you can call it 'hanging'. You
may have index problems with NTFS.

>I will also check out Vopt. At the moment, I use Diskeeper Lite. I have also
>done 3 of those things you mentioned. i.e. Compact all folders, Delete all
>temp files, Delete all found *.tmp files. Don't seem to make a difference.
>
>Unfortunately, my knowledge stops there. I'll have to do a Google on
>Optimising the Registry. Wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

Simply download and run a program that does that. There are several
out there.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

NUDITY...birth control for folks over 50!

DeMoN LaG

"Goforit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:410209e7$0$29261$(E-Mail Removed):

> In relation to chkdsk, I get about half way through it and it just
> hangs. I end up having to 'Ctrl, Alt, Delete' to get rid of the thing.

Are you running it from within Windows, or are you opening a command prompt
and typing:
chkdsk c: /x and letting it run at reboot?

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Goforit

"DeMoN LaG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Goforit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:410209e7$0$29261$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > In relation to chkdsk, I get about half way through it and it just
> > hangs. I end up having to 'Ctrl, Alt, Delete' to get rid of the thing.

> Are you running it from within Windows, or are you opening a command

prompt
> and typing:
> chkdsk c: /x and letting it run at reboot?
>
> --
> website: http://www.demonlag.com
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: (E-Mail Removed)

Thanks again folks. Appreciate the feedback.

DL, I am running it from Windows, not command prompt, however will give it a
go. Thanks again.