Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can't Run Scan Disk

Can't Run Scan Disk

Bob

I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several times
that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."

Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I do
have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of other such
programs installed and running. Would one of these cause the disk scan not
to run?

I have been running scan disk for a couple of years without problem. This
is a new development.

Thank you.

Duane Arnold

"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several
> times that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I
> get the following message on the blue screen where the scan progress
> should be shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
>
> Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I
> do have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of
> other such programs installed and running. Would one of these cause
> the disk scan not to run?

You should shut them all down and see if Scan Disk. I'll bet that if you
ran the Dfrag, it will blow up too.

Best practice is to shutdown anything running while using Scan Disk or
Defrag.

Duane

Stuart

Duane Arnold wrote:

> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several
>>times that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I
>>get the following message on the blue screen where the scan progress
>>should be shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
>>
>>Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I
>>do have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of
>>other such programs installed and running. Would one of these cause
>>the disk scan not to run?

> You should shut them all down and see if Scan Disk. I'll bet that if you
> ran the Dfrag, it will blow up too.
>
> Best practice is to shutdown anything running while using Scan Disk or
> Defrag.
>
> Duane

I am not sure whether the OP is referring to an error before windows
loads, if he is then the spyware programs or any others for that matter,
will not be causing the problem.

Stuart

Wizard

Since scandisk on XP runs at boot all of the above are shutdown.

Duane Arnold wrote:

> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several
> > times that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I
> > get the following message on the blue screen where the scan progress
> > should be shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
> >
> > Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I
> > do have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of
> > other such programs installed and running. Would one of these cause
> > the disk scan not to run?

> You should shut them all down and see if Scan Disk. I'll bet that if you
> ran the Dfrag, it will blow up too.
>
> Best practice is to shutdown anything running while using Scan Disk or
> Defrag.
>
> Duane

Duane Arnold

Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Since scandisk on XP runs at boot all of the above are shutdown.
>
> Duane Arnold wrote:
>>
>> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several
>> > times that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I
>> > get the following message on the blue screen where the scan progress
>> > should be shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
>> >
>> > Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I
>> > do have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of
>> > other such programs installed and running. Would one of these cause
>> > the disk scan not to run?

>> You should shut them all down and see if Scan Disk. I'll bet that if you
>> ran the Dfrag, it will blow up too.
>>
>> Best practice is to shutdown anything running while using Scan Disk or
>> Defrag.
>>
>> Duane

Does Win 2K do the same thing? The only time I have used Scan Disk ever is on the
work machine when it's a hard shutdown using FAT32 and it goes through that
procedure of running Scan Disk. I have never used Scan Disk on a NTFS machine.

Duane

Thor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several

times
> that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
> following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
> shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
>
> Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I do
> have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of other such
> programs installed and running. Would one of these cause the disk scan

not
> to run?
>
> I have been running scan disk for a couple of years without problem. This
> is a new development.

Just ran into this with a customer's system recently. It was ZoneAlarm that
was causing it. Apparantly one of their drivers loads early enough in the
boot sequence that it screws with the AUTOCHK utility. Try uninstalling that
if you have it.

WebWalker

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:41:54 -0700, "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several times
>that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
>following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
>shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."

Gosh !! BSOD in Windows XP ??
I hear that BSOD do appear just that XP will intercept it before the
user can ever see it.

--
WebWalker

mark mandel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several

times
> that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
> following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
> shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
>
> Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I do
> have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of other such
> programs installed and running. Would one of these cause the disk scan

not
> to run?
>
> I have been running scan disk for a couple of years without problem. This
> is a new development.
>
> Thank you.

I personally haven't done this but read somewhere you can go to the Run box
and type in "sfc/ scannow"(without quotes)to restore the autochk file.

Trent©

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:10:46 -0400, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several

>times
>> that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
>> following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
>> shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
>>
>> Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I do
>> have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of other such
>> programs installed and running. Would one of these cause the disk scan

>not
>> to run?
>>
>> I have been running scan disk for a couple of years without problem. This
>> is a new development.

>Just ran into this with a customer's system recently. It was ZoneAlarm that
>was causing it. Apparantly one of their drivers loads early enough in the
>boot sequence that it screws with the AUTOCHK utility. Try uninstalling that
>if you have it.

I didn't know you could run scandisk with NTFS. I can't even find it
on my XP system.

Ya learn somethin' new every day.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

NUDITY...birth control for folks over 50!

Thor

> >Just ran into this with a customer's system recently. It was ZoneAlarm

that
> >was causing it. Apparantly one of their drivers loads early enough in the
> >boot sequence that it screws with the AUTOCHK utility. Try uninstalling

that
> >if you have it.

> I didn't know you could run scandisk with NTFS. I can't even find it
> on my XP system.
>
> Ya learn somethin' new every day.

You know that the OP meant CHKDSK. It's clear from the context of his post.