Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > where can I download linux at?

where can I download linux at?

Justin

I have an old Compaq Deskpro EN SFF, P2@450mhz, 128MB RAM, 6GB HD that I
want to run linux on to check it out. thanks.

Cunning Linguist

Justin wrote:
> I have an old Compaq Deskpro EN SFF, P2@450mhz, 128MB RAM, 6GB HD that I
> want to run linux on to check it out. thanks.

Which distro?

www.mandrakelinux.com
www.fedora.org
etc.

You may find the 'newer' distros may run sluggishly on your 450 as they
are designed to run on faster machines. You may find Mandrak a good
beginners distro.

Good luck.

Calvin Crumrine

Cunning Linguist wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>
>> I have an old Compaq Deskpro EN SFF, P2@450mhz, 128MB RAM, 6GB HD that
>> I want to run linux on to check it out. thanks.

>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

> Which distro?
>
> www.mandrakelinux.com
> www.fedora.org
> etc.
>
> You may find the 'newer' distros may run sluggishly on your 450 as they
> are designed to run on faster machines. You may find Mandrak a good
> beginners distro.
>
> Good luck.

Or try Knoppix ( http://www.knoppix.net for info,
http://www.knoppix.net/get.php to download it). I read somewhere that
because it can fit on & run from a CD you can also set it up to load
into & run from RAM-if you have enough. (You don't, but I'm certain you
could add more.) That is supposed to significantly improve the performance.

abomb6900

try www.linuxiso.org, they have a buch of different distrabutions available
online

news:Xns952E9738B5574justin1138REMOVEzoom@209.25.1 57.130...