Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Modem trouble

Modem trouble

Alistair Echlin

Hi there

I have a Packard Bell Pulsar PC which I have just wiped to install a clean
copy of Win 98 for my father. Before the 'wipe' the modem worked etc. The
problem I have now is finding the "Correct Driver" for it. I have tried at
PB website, I have tried several at driver.com to no avail.

The label on the modem says:

Aztech Systems GmbH
MDP3858V-E ----- I take it this is the model number?????

When in Device Manager it tells me that a Rockwell 33.6 DPF is installed.

On the chip it does say Rockwell 97 9839 B63993.3

So do I look for Rockwell drivers or do I look for Aztech drivers??????

I had this trouble before a long time ago and I managed to get the thing
working, but its starting to drive me mad now (

Can somebody please point me in the right direction...

Many Thanks

Alistair - UK

Pepperoni

I'm sure you can find them at:
http://www.priorityonesupport.com/

You will need to register. They can show your system specs using your
serial number or model number. Search is sometimes twitchy, but I get
drivers here.

"Alistair Echlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cdotl0$qo1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there
>
> I have a Packard Bell Pulsar PC which I have just wiped to install a clean
> copy of Win 98 for my father. Before the 'wipe' the modem worked etc. The
> problem I have now is finding the "Correct Driver" for it. I have tried at
> PB website, I have tried several at driver.com to no avail.
>
> The label on the modem says:
>
> Aztech Systems GmbH
> MDP3858V-E ----- I take it this is the model number?????
>
> When in Device Manager it tells me that a Rockwell 33.6 DPF is installed.
>
> On the chip it does say Rockwell 97 9839 B63993.3
>

> So do I look for Rockwell drivers or do I look for Aztech drivers??????
>
> I had this trouble before a long time ago and I managed to get the thing
> working, but its starting to drive me mad now (
>
> Can somebody please point me in the right direction...
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Alistair - UK

HF

www.drivers.com

"Alistair Echlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cdotl0$qo1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there
>
> I have a Packard Bell Pulsar PC which I have just wiped to install a clean
> copy of Win 98 for my father. Before the 'wipe' the modem worked etc. The
> problem I have now is finding the "Correct Driver" for it. I have tried at
> PB website, I have tried several at driver.com to no avail.
>
> The label on the modem says:
>
> Aztech Systems GmbH
> MDP3858V-E ----- I take it this is the model number?????
>
> When in Device Manager it tells me that a Rockwell 33.6 DPF is installed.
>
> On the chip it does say Rockwell 97 9839 B63993.3
>

> So do I look for Rockwell drivers or do I look for Aztech drivers??????
>
> I had this trouble before a long time ago and I managed to get the thing
> working, but its starting to drive me mad now (
>
> Can somebody please point me in the right direction...
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Alistair - UK

---

Pen

http://www.aztech.com.sg/SAnalog.htm#9
see sections 4 and 5.

"Alistair Echlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cdotl0$qo1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there
>
> I have a Packard Bell Pulsar PC which I have just wiped to install a

clean
> copy of Win 98 for my father. Before the 'wipe' the modem worked etc.

The
> problem I have now is finding the "Correct Driver" for it. I have

tried at
> PB website, I have tried several at driver.com to no avail.
>
> The label on the modem says:
>
> Aztech Systems GmbH
> MDP3858V-E ----- I take it this is the model

number?????

> When in Device Manager it tells me that a Rockwell 33.6 DPF is

installed.

> On the chip it does say Rockwell 97 9839 B63993.3
>

> So do I look for Rockwell drivers or do I look for Aztech

drivers??????

> I had this trouble before a long time ago and I managed to get the

thing
> working, but its starting to drive me mad now (
>
> Can somebody please point me in the right direction...
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Alistair - UK

Sirius

Alistair Echlin wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I have a Packard Bell Pulsar PC which I have just wiped to install a clean
> copy of Win 98 for my father. Before the 'wipe' the modem worked etc. The
> problem I have now is finding the "Correct Driver" for it. I have tried at
> PB website, I have tried several at driver.com to no avail.
>
> The label on the modem says:
>
> Aztech Systems GmbH
> MDP3858V-E ----- I take it this is the model number?????
>
> When in Device Manager it tells me that a Rockwell 33.6 DPF is installed.
>
> On the chip it does say Rockwell 97 9839 B63993.3
>

> So do I look for Rockwell drivers or do I look for Aztech drivers??????
>
> I had this trouble before a long time ago and I managed to get the thing
> working, but its starting to drive me mad now (
>
> Can somebody please point me in the right direction...
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Alistair - UK

Hi,

Did it ever work OK? I had an MDP3858-U as my first modem and put up
with poor download speeds and frequent disconnections for years. Getting
a decent modem solved that problem but I've never known for sure if I
just had a faulty one or if the design is bad.

For drivers try here:

http://www.aztech.com/SAnalog.htm#13

Thor

"Sirius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:G8WLc.458$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alistair Echlin wrote:
> > Hi there
> >
> > I have a Packard Bell Pulsar PC which I have just wiped to install a

clean
> > copy of Win 98 for my father. Before the 'wipe' the modem worked etc.

The
> > problem I have now is finding the "Correct Driver" for it. I have tried

at
> > PB website, I have tried several at driver.com to no avail.
> >
> > The label on the modem says:
> >
> > Aztech Systems GmbH
> > MDP3858V-E ----- I take it this is the model number?????
> >
> > When in Device Manager it tells me that a Rockwell 33.6 DPF is

installed.

> > On the chip it does say Rockwell 97 9839 B63993.3
> >

> > So do I look for Rockwell drivers or do I look for Aztech drivers??????
> >
> > I had this trouble before a long time ago and I managed to get the thing
> > working, but its starting to drive me mad now (
> >
> > Can somebody please point me in the right direction...
> >
> > Many Thanks
> >
> > Alistair - UK

> Hi,
>
> Did it ever work OK? I had an MDP3858-U as my first modem and put up
> with poor download speeds and frequent disconnections for years. Getting
> a decent modem solved that problem but I've never known for sure if I
> just had a faulty one or if the design is bad.

IMHO, it was just a crap modem. I had one once. Same problems. I've also
seen the 3858 models in numerous customer PCs, and they tend to have poor
connectivity. But then again, Aztech was never really known for quality
products in general. They used to make sound cards and they were the biggest
bitches in the world to get working with the various games at the time.

Thor wrote:
> "Sirius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:G8WLc.458$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>Hi,
>>
>>Did it ever work OK? I had an MDP3858-U as my first modem and put up
>>with poor download speeds and frequent disconnections for years. Getting
>>a decent modem solved that problem but I've never known for sure if I
>>just had a faulty one or if the design is bad.

> IMHO, it was just a crap modem. I had one once. Same problems. I've also
> seen the 3858 models in numerous customer PCs, and they tend to have poor
> connectivity. But then again, Aztech was never really known for quality
> products in general. They used to make sound cards and they were the biggest
> bitches in the world to get working with the various games at the time.

Interesting - so my experience wasn't unique.

I replaced it for a while with a 33K ISA modem - got over twice the
download speed and I don't remember any disconnections at all.

I'm using a SupraExpress 56i pro at the moment. I think it is another
winmodem (as it is described as HCF) and although download speed is fine
- better than the 33k, I do seem to get the (very) occassional
disconnection. Are these just a fact of life with winmodems??

Thor

> I replaced it for a while with a 33K ISA modem - got over twice the
> download speed and I don't remember any disconnections at all.
>
> I'm using a SupraExpress 56i pro at the moment. I think it is another
> winmodem (as it is described as HCF) and although download speed is fine
> - better than the 33k, I do seem to get the (very) occassional
> disconnection. Are these just a fact of life with winmodems??

Not necessarily. The higher connect speed you are now getting might not be
as stable, and may be just a little more vulnerable to noise. These days, a
good quality winmodem is every bit as good as a full hardware modem, IMHO.
System speeds common today are far and away fast enough to handle all the
controller and DSP functions in software without a problem. Years ago, if
the CPU got a little too busy to process the modem functions, it could
affect connection stability, but it shouldn't be a problem these days unless
your system is very old (like in the 120Mhz range). I have found Diamond
Supra modems to be very good on average.

Sirius

>>I replaced it for a while with a 33K ISA modem - got over twice the
>>download speed and I don't remember any disconnections at all.
>>
>>I'm using a SupraExpress 56i pro at the moment. I think it is another
>>winmodem (as it is described as HCF) and although download speed is fine
>>- better than the 33k, I do seem to get the (very) occassional
>>disconnection. Are these just a fact of life with winmodems??

> Not necessarily. The higher connect speed you are now getting might not be
> as stable, and may be just a little more vulnerable to noise. These days, a
> good quality winmodem is every bit as good as a full hardware modem, IMHO.
> System speeds common today are far and away fast enough to handle all the
> controller and DSP functions in software without a problem. Years ago, if
> the CPU got a little too busy to process the modem functions, it could
> affect connection stability, but it shouldn't be a problem these days unless
> your system is very old (like in the 120Mhz range). I have found Diamond
> Supra modems to be very good on average.

Not 120 Mhz old but 400 Mhz old and I usually have lots of apps running
at once - so lack of CPU could well be the cause . . . and it is a noisy
line (electric fence) so noise could also be a factor . . . looking now
for a 56K isa modem - which seem to go for next to nothing on Ebay now.

Cunning Linguist

****ing hell. Still top posting. How rude.

Remember. Top posting = ****tard.