Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > IBM R40 Thinkpad Laptop Keyboard problem

IBM R40 Thinkpad Laptop Keyboard problem

fjwilson

The "period" key was sticking on my laptop last night then a little
later, it worked fine, but then my right shift key was giving me
trouble.
I suspect that somehow a piece of food worked its way into the
keyboard(though it is hard to imagine, no more clearance than there
is). Probably from one of the kids. Whatever is down there seems to be
moving around.

I attempted to disassemble, and got as far as the actual touchpad.
There is a IC cable leading from the touchpad down to the motherboard
that is keeping me from opening the lid up all the way. I would rather
get the advice of someone who is familiar with these before I
"experiment and attempt it on my own.

Can anyone tell me how to take the IC cable from the touchpad?

Thanks in advance.

fjwilson

Michael-NC

"fjwilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> The "period" key was sticking on my laptop last night then a little
> later, it worked fine, but then my right shift key was giving me
> trouble.
> I suspect that somehow a piece of food worked its way into the
> keyboard(though it is hard to imagine, no more clearance than there
> is). Probably from one of the kids. Whatever is down there seems to be
> moving around.
>
> I attempted to disassemble, and got as far as the actual touchpad.
> There is a IC cable leading from the touchpad down to the motherboard
> that is keeping me from opening the lid up all the way. I would rather
> get the advice of someone who is familiar with these before I
> "experiment and attempt it on my own.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to take the IC cable from the touchpad?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> fjwilson

It's usually a push on connector. Check the web, there may be a drawing or
manual on disassembly for your model.

Adam Steiner

"fjwilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> The "period" key was sticking on my laptop last night then a little
> later, it worked fine, but then my right shift key was giving me
> trouble.
> I suspect that somehow a piece of food worked its way into the
> keyboard(though it is hard to imagine, no more clearance than there
> is). Probably from one of the kids. Whatever is down there seems to be
> moving around.
>
> I attempted to disassemble, and got as far as the actual touchpad.
> There is a IC cable leading from the touchpad down to the motherboard
> that is keeping me from opening the lid up all the way. I would rather
> get the advice of someone who is familiar with these before I
> "experiment and attempt it on my own.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to take the IC cable from the touchpad?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> fjwilson

http://forum.thinkpads.com - I've found them to be *very* helpful when it
comes to my thinkpad