Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > crash no error

crash no error

dreaded

Hi out there, i have a pc running winXP pro. the thing freezes up randomly.
when it crashes everything freezes. ctr-alt-del doesn't work. it must be
restarted manually. this doesn't seem to have anything to do with any
particular program. Any ideas?
thanks a lot.
-XP newbie

Duane Arnold

"dreaded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cdi2le$lkj$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi out there, i have a pc running winXP pro. the thing freezes up
> randomly. when it crashes everything freezes. ctr-alt-del doesn't
> work. it must be restarted manually. this doesn't seem to have
> anything to do with any particular program. Any ideas?
> thanks a lot.
> -XP newbie

It seems to me you have a bad install. XP pro usually never freezes and
never crashes unless something very bad is happening on the machine. You
should wipe the machine out *format* the HD doing a clean install Of
course, you should be disconnected from the Internet and have a firewall
running before you connect to prevent an attack from a worm that can
crash the O/S.

Duane

Wizard

Check your cpu cooler. This sounds like overheat. In any case it's a
hardware problem.

dreaded wrote:

> Hi out there, i have a pc running winXP pro. the thing freezes up randomly.
> when it crashes everything freezes. ctr-alt-del doesn't work. it must be
> restarted manually. this doesn't seem to have anything to do with any
> particular program. Any ideas?
> thanks a lot.
> -XP newbie

Thor

"dreaded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cdi2le$lkj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi out there, i have a pc running winXP pro. the thing freezes up

randomly.
> when it crashes everything freezes. ctr-alt-del doesn't work. it must be
> restarted manually. this doesn't seem to have anything to do with any
> particular program. Any ideas?
> thanks a lot.
> -XP newbie

what are your CPU temps like at the time of a crash?

Michael-NC

Likely culprit is heat, bad power supply or a corrupted video driver. Check
your logs as well. Right click on my computer and select manage, then event
viewer.

"dreaded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cdi2le$lkj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi out there, i have a pc running winXP pro. the thing freezes up

randomly.
> when it crashes everything freezes. ctr-alt-del doesn't work. it must be
> restarted manually. this doesn't seem to have anything to do with any
> particular program. Any ideas?
> thanks a lot.
> -XP newbie

dreaded

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "dreaded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cdi2le$lkj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi out there, i have a pc running winXP pro. the thing freezes up

> randomly.
> > when it crashes everything freezes. ctr-alt-del doesn't work. it must be
> > restarted manually. this doesn't seem to have anything to do with any
> > particular program. Any ideas?
> > thanks a lot.
> > -XP newbie
> >

> what are your CPU temps like at the time of a crash?

pretty hot like 102 F

DeMoN LaG

"dreaded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cdupk9$njk$1
@gnus01.u.washington.edu:

> pretty hot like 102 F

102F is not all that hot. A heat related problem is possible, but I think
unlikely.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Thor

"DeMoN LaG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "dreaded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cdupk9$njk$1
> @gnus01.u.washington.edu:
>
> > pretty hot like 102 F

> 102F is not all that hot. A heat related problem is possible, but I think
> unlikely.

That's 38C. Cool as a cucumber for a CPU, if that's what his CPU is reading,
of course.

dreaded

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DeMoN LaG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > "dreaded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cdupk9$njk$1
> > @gnus01.u.washington.edu:
> >
> > > pretty hot like 102 F

> > 102F is not all that hot. A heat related problem is possible, but I

think
> > unlikely.

> That's 38C. Cool as a cucumber for a CPU, if that's what his CPU is

reading,
> of course.

that was from the bios reading...