Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help I changed cmos battery and now have no display

Help I changed cmos battery and now have no display

Chris

What do I do now?

Thanks in advance

Michael-NC

Reset the cmos, reseat the video card and hope you didn't cause an ESD event
that farked the machine.

news:t5CKc.109531$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What do I do now?
>
> Thanks in advance

Chris

how do you reset the cmos? and what is a esd event?

thanks for your reply

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsiDKc.139258$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> Reset the cmos, reseat the video card and hope you didn't cause an ESD

event
> that farked the machine.
>
> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:t5CKc.109531$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What do I do now?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

PLS

maybe if you posted the make/model of your machine/motherboard
someone could help you.

ESD=electrostatic discharge. i.e. static zapped the circuitry.

news:cKEKc.279583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> how do you reset the cmos? and what is a esd event?
>
> thanks for your reply
>
> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsiDKc.139258$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> > Reset the cmos, reseat the video card and hope you didn't

cause an ESD
> event
> > that farked the machine.
> >
> > "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:t5CKc.109531$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > What do I do now?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

Michael-NC

news:cKEKc.279583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> how do you reset the cmos? and what is a esd event?

There is usually a jumper near the battery, refer to your mainboard manual.

ESD= Electro static discharge.

http://www.reade.com/Safety/esd.html

Try and reseat the video card and does anything happen when you boot the
machine?

> thanks for your reply
>
> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsiDKc.139258$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> > Reset the cmos, reseat the video card and hope you didn't cause an ESD

> event
> > that farked the machine.
> >
> > "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:t5CKc.109531$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > What do I do now?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

Chris

Thanks I tried that and no effect. Basically, when I try to boot there is
no beep that indicates the system has booted. Nothing on the screen at all
and the floppy drive does not light up. The motherboard says; CRX-266 GX
MBRD on the back and ST_MGX M on the front. Also, the Award cmos ;PCI/PNP
586 S/N 149202021.

Thanks again for your help
"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GNFKc.163335$(E-Mail Removed) .com...

> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cKEKc.279583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > how do you reset the cmos? and what is a esd event?

> There is usually a jumper near the battery, refer to your mainboard

manual.

> ESD= Electro static discharge.
>
> http://www.reade.com/Safety/esd.html
>
> Try and reseat the video card and does anything happen when you boot the
> machine?
>
> > thanks for your reply
> >
> > "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsiDKc.139258$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> > > Reset the cmos, reseat the video card and hope you didn't cause an ESD

> > event
> > > that farked the machine.
> > >
> > > "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:t5CKc.109531$(E-Mail Removed)...

Michael-NC

news:l4GKc.279996$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks I tried that and no effect. Basically, when I try to boot there is
> no beep that indicates the system has booted. Nothing on the screen at

all
> and the floppy drive does not light up. The motherboard says; CRX-266 GX
> MBRD on the back and ST_MGX M on the front. Also, the Award cmos ;PCI/PNP
> 586 S/N 149202021.

Does the CPU fan spin up? Does the power LED come on? Why did you change the
battery/was the board working before?

Are you _sure_ you put the correct battery in?

Make sure you didn't loosen the power switch connection when you changed the
battery. They are usually in the lower right corner of the board and there
are 3 or 4 wires with small connectors attached to a set of pins. Check all
the connections.

> Thanks again for your help
> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GNFKc.163335$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> >
> > "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cKEKc.279583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > how do you reset the cmos? and what is a esd event?

> > There is usually a jumper near the battery, refer to your mainboard

> manual.
> >
> > ESD= Electro static discharge.
> >
> > http://www.reade.com/Safety/esd.html
> >
> > Try and reseat the video card and does anything happen when you boot the
> > machine?
> >
> > > thanks for your reply
> > >
> > > "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > newsiDKc.139258$(E-Mail Removed) .com...

ESD
> > > event

Chris

Yes, the fan spins and the power led lights up and initially the cd lights
up as well as the keyboard. However, no beep, screen nor floppy. I changed
the battery because I was getting a message at startup saying there was a
problem with the battery and the clock was not keeping time. I will check
the wires you suggested but I am starting to think that this password
related and I need to somehow reset the cmos.

Thanks

Michael-NC

news:urGKc.280110$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, the fan spins and the power led lights up and initially the cd lights
> up as well as the keyboard. However, no beep, screen nor floppy. I

changed
> the battery because I was getting a message at startup saying there was a
> problem with the battery and the clock was not keeping time. I will check
> the wires you suggested but I am starting to think that this password
> related and I need to somehow reset the cmos.
>
> Thanks

Try the jumper to reset the cmos. Perhaps your monitor went out. Do you have
another computer you could try the monitor on? Same thing with the video
card.
Check your external cable connections as well.

Chris

Found the jumper finally and reset the cmos, thanks for the input