Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Networking problem

Networking problem

OleDawg

I have tried to network 2 winxp pentium computers through a
router.Both computers can access the internet through the router .
I have used the setup wizard on both computers a number of times .I
get the same results in that when I get to the MSHOME icon the
computer goes no further and I get a window with the folling .

"Mshome not accessable .You might not have permission to use this
resource.Contact the adminstrator of the server to find out if you
have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available "

This window shows up on both computers .Im sure that I have missed
something.

Ive done searches on Google and can find lots of references to this
problem but cant seem to zero in on the fix .

HELP>>>>TIA

Flipper

Wizard

It's probably the XP firewall. Disable the firewall and install Netbeui
on both, then remove "file & printer sharing" from tcp/ip under the
advanced tab

OleDawg wrote:

> I have tried to network 2 winxp pentium computers through a
> router.Both computers can access the internet through the router .
> I have used the setup wizard on both computers a number of times .I
> get the same results in that when I get to the MSHOME icon the
> computer goes no further and I get a window with the folling .
>
> "Mshome not accessable .You might not have permission to use this
> resource.Contact the adminstrator of the server to find out if you
> have access permissions.
> The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available "
>
> This window shows up on both computers .Im sure that I have missed
> something.
>
> Ive done searches on Google and can find lots of references to this
> problem but cant seem to zero in on the fix .
>
> HELP>>>>TIA
>
> Flipper

bearman

"OleDawg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have tried to network 2 winxp pentium computers through a
> router.Both computers can access the internet through the router .
> I have used the setup wizard on both computers a number of times .I
> get the same results in that when I get to the MSHOME icon the
> computer goes no further and I get a window with the folling .
>
> "Mshome not accessable .You might not have permission to use this
> resource.Contact the adminstrator of the server to find out if you
> have access permissions.
> The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available "
>
> This window shows up on both computers .Im sure that I have missed
> something.
>
> Ive done searches on Google and can find lots of references to this
> problem but cant seem to zero in on the fix .
>
> HELP>>>>TIA
>
> Flipper

I had that problem when using Zone Alarm. I set up Zone Alarm to handle the
problem and it's been working fine ever since.

Bearman

Brian

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's probably the XP firewall. Disable the firewall and install Netbeui
> on both, then remove "file & printer sharing" from tcp/ip under the
> advanced tab

you knob head!

> OleDawg wrote:
> >
> > I have tried to network 2 winxp pentium computers through a
> > router.Both computers can access the internet through the router .
> > I have used the setup wizard on both computers a number of times .I
> > get the same results in that when I get to the MSHOME icon the
> > computer goes no further and I get a window with the folling .
> >
> > "Mshome not accessable .You might not have permission to use this
> > resource.Contact the adminstrator of the server to find out if you
> > have access permissions.
> > The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available "
> >
> > This window shows up on both computers .Im sure that I have missed
> > something.
> >
> > Ive done searches on Google and can find lots of references to this
> > problem but cant seem to zero in on the fix .
> >
> > HELP>>>>TIA
> >
> > Flipper

OleDawg

Thanks for the come back .Its fixed .The first suggestion that I tried
was to install ipx/spx protocol (tcp/ip was already installed ).It
worked .Each computer saw the other immediately .Note that there were
other comments that the new protocol was not needed if tco/ip was
installed ,but it worked on this inatallation .
Thanks again

Flipper