Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Mixing Pc100 64mb and Pc100 128mb

Mixing Pc100 64mb and Pc100 128mb

condorito

Hi everyone, my PC has 2 ram slots and have to sticks of pc100 64mb
(generic)(total 128mb), well i decided to buy a used stick of pc100
128mb(kingston) to upgrade to 192mb or ram, what i did is, take out one of
the 64mb and replace it with the 128mb, after installing it booted fine, it
read that my pc has 192mb of ram, however after 2 days the icons in my
desktop looked all blurry even sometimes after boot up, the icons wouldn't
appear just the names appeard, so it was obvious it had something to do with
the ram i installed.

What i did is take out the 64mb stick , and now i just have the one stick of
128mb (kingston) and the icons seem fine no problems so far (installed like
10 min ago from positing this). My guess is that because the ram sticks are
from diffrent manufacturers they are bumping heads and the fact that mixing
speeds is not a good idea , so i guess ill be looking for another pc100
128mb of ram, do you all think its ok if its another brand and not kingston
(what i have now) or even a generic brand (there a lot cheaper lol). Tia

Ps, I do have another stick of pc133 128mb of ram, but thats sort of a lost
cause, i tried to make it work by puting it in my pc by itself , everyway
you can think of, and it did not even boot, just showed a black screen.

HF

Go to the Crucial website and get some decent memory as well as find the
correct memory for your machine. All you need know is the model of machine
or the motherboard type number.
"condorito" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone, my PC has 2 ram slots and have to sticks of pc100 64mb
> (generic)(total 128mb), well i decided to buy a used stick of pc100
> 128mb(kingston) to upgrade to 192mb or ram, what i did is, take out one of
> the 64mb and replace it with the 128mb, after installing it booted fine,

it
> read that my pc has 192mb of ram, however after 2 days the icons in my
> desktop looked all blurry even sometimes after boot up, the icons wouldn't
> appear just the names appeard, so it was obvious it had something to do

with
> the ram i installed.
>
> What i did is take out the 64mb stick , and now i just have the one stick

of
> 128mb (kingston) and the icons seem fine no problems so far (installed

like
> 10 min ago from positing this). My guess is that because the ram sticks

are
> from diffrent manufacturers they are bumping heads and the fact that

mixing
> speeds is not a good idea , so i guess ill be looking for another pc100
> 128mb of ram, do you all think its ok if its another brand and not

kingston
> (what i have now) or even a generic brand (there a lot cheaper lol). Tia
>
> Ps, I do have another stick of pc133 128mb of ram, but thats sort of a

lost
> cause, i tried to make it work by puting it in my pc by itself , everyway
> you can think of, and it did not even boot, just showed a black screen.

---

condorito

Thanks , but i do know exactly what kind of memory will work with my Pc,
pc100, the question was to confrim my guesses as to why pc100 128mb and
pc100 64mb dont work together.
"HF" <(E-Mail Removed)21.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go to the Crucial website and get some decent memory as well as find the
> correct memory for your machine. All you need know is the model of machine
> or the motherboard type number.
> "condorito" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi everyone, my PC has 2 ram slots and have to sticks of pc100 64mb
> > (generic)(total 128mb), well i decided to buy a used stick of pc100
> > 128mb(kingston) to upgrade to 192mb or ram, what i did is, take out one

of
> > the 64mb and replace it with the 128mb, after installing it booted fine,

> it
> > read that my pc has 192mb of ram, however after 2 days the icons in my
> > desktop looked all blurry even sometimes after boot up, the icons

wouldn't
> > appear just the names appeard, so it was obvious it had something to do

> with
> > the ram i installed.
> >
> > What i did is take out the 64mb stick , and now i just have the one

stick
> of
> > 128mb (kingston) and the icons seem fine no problems so far (installed

> like
> > 10 min ago from positing this). My guess is that because the ram sticks

> are
> > from diffrent manufacturers they are bumping heads and the fact that

> mixing
> > speeds is not a good idea , so i guess ill be looking for another pc100
> > 128mb of ram, do you all think its ok if its another brand and not

> kingston
> > (what i have now) or even a generic brand (there a lot cheaper lol). Tia
> >
> > Ps, I do have another stick of pc133 128mb of ram, but thats sort of a

> lost
> > cause, i tried to make it work by puting it in my pc by itself ,

everyway
> > you can think of, and it did not even boot, just showed a black screen.
> >

> ---

Thor

"condorito" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks , but i do know exactly what kind of memory will work with my Pc,
> pc100, the question was to confrim my guesses as to why pc100 128mb and
> pc100 64mb dont work together.

Some boards have odd preferences about module capacity combinations (for
example I have a 440EX board that will not accept a 128MB module in the
first slot with 32MB modules in each of the other two slots, but it will
take 128MB modules in all three), and some simply are sensitive to the
mixing of different brands/configurations os modules. There is also more to
consider these days than merely capacity, or speed. Most PC-100 and PC-133
modules made these days use chips of 256mbit denstiy instead of the older
128mbit density common just 2 or 3 years ago. A board using a chipset with
this limitation will typically manifest the issue as a boot failure, or
complete lack of recognition for the module. This was possibly the case with
the PC-133 module you attempted to install.

kony

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:51:33 -0700, "condorito"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks , but i do know exactly what kind of memory will work with my Pc,
>pc100, the question was to confrim my guesses as to why pc100 128mb and
>pc100 64mb dont work together.

Usually they will, seems more likely your motherboard is
marginal, almost failing and can only remain stable with lesser
memroy amounts. Most posters would've started out by mentioning
specs of system, since clearly your problem is not seem by most
every other system, therefore the differences to your system (the
details) matter.

On the other hand it might just be bad memory, though it seems
less likely. Test with http://www.memtest86.com

Wizard

There are move options than just pc-100 etc!

condorito wrote:

> Thanks , but i do know exactly what kind of memory will work with my Pc,
> pc100, the question was to confrim my guesses as to why pc100 128mb and
> pc100 64mb dont work together.
> "HF" <(E-Mail Removed)21.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Go to the Crucial website and get some decent memory as well as find the
> > correct memory for your machine. All you need know is the model of machine
> > or the motherboard type number.
> > "condorito" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi everyone, my PC has 2 ram slots and have to sticks of pc100 64mb
> > > (generic)(total 128mb), well i decided to buy a used stick of pc100
> > > 128mb(kingston) to upgrade to 192mb or ram, what i did is, take out one

> of
> > > the 64mb and replace it with the 128mb, after installing it booted fine,

> > it
> > > read that my pc has 192mb of ram, however after 2 days the icons in my
> > > desktop looked all blurry even sometimes after boot up, the icons

> wouldn't
> > > appear just the names appeard, so it was obvious it had something to do

> > with
> > > the ram i installed.
> > >
> > > What i did is take out the 64mb stick , and now i just have the one

> stick
> > of
> > > 128mb (kingston) and the icons seem fine no problems so far (installed

> > like
> > > 10 min ago from positing this). My guess is that because the ram sticks

> > are
> > > from diffrent manufacturers they are bumping heads and the fact that

> > mixing
> > > speeds is not a good idea , so i guess ill be looking for another pc100
> > > 128mb of ram, do you all think its ok if its another brand and not

> > kingston
> > > (what i have now) or even a generic brand (there a lot cheaper lol). Tia
> > >
> > > Ps, I do have another stick of pc133 128mb of ram, but thats sort of a

> > lost
> > > cause, i tried to make it work by puting it in my pc by itself ,

> everyway
> > > you can think of, and it did not even boot, just showed a black screen.
> > >

> > ---

BuzBeKe

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are move options than just pc-100 etc!

....and what might that be Dick?
You useless, ignorant piece of Hampton beach crap.