Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Inexpensive, basic (but new) laptop ... need some assistance please ....

Inexpensive, basic (but new) laptop ... need some assistance please ....

Daniel

Hello,

I'm looking for a new, with warranty, laptop just for web surfing and email,
mostly just research, all very, very basic functions. Most of what I found,
even the least expensive ones, are "too much hardware" for my needs (and are
too expensive). Are there any (new) early Pentiums still available or even
the sub 1 Ghz celerons ? Do you have a source ? Any advice ?

Thank you,

Daniel

Matthew Henderson

For what is sounds like you do, Daniel, I would recommend the Dell Inspiron
1000 Laptop. You could get one for about $700 I think that would have plenty
of speed, memory and hard drive for what you want to do. It comes with a one
year warranty but you can upgrade it up to 4 years. Right now all Dell's
laptops have free shipping and are 10% off.

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a new, with warranty, laptop just for web surfing and

email,
> mostly just research, all very, very basic functions. Most of what I

found,
> even the least expensive ones, are "too much hardware" for my needs (and

are
> too expensive). Are there any (new) early Pentiums still available or even
> the sub 1 Ghz celerons ? Do you have a source ? Any advice ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Daniel

Daniel

Thank you for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it.

Where could I get the Dell Inspiron 1000 for about $700 ? Dell sells it for
about $1000 since the last time I checked their site ((

Thanks,

Daniel

"Matthew Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For what is sounds like you do, Daniel, I would recommend the Dell

Inspiron
> 1000 Laptop. You could get one for about $700 I think that would have

plenty
> of speed, memory and hard drive for what you want to do. It comes with a

one
> year warranty but you can upgrade it up to 4 years. Right now all Dell's
> laptops have free shipping and are 10% off.
>
> "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm looking for a new, with warranty, laptop just for web surfing and

> email,
> > mostly just research, all very, very basic functions. Most of what I

> found,
> > even the least expensive ones, are "too much hardware" for my needs (and

> are
> > too expensive). Are there any (new) early Pentiums still available or

even
> > the sub 1 Ghz celerons ? Do you have a source ? Any advice ?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Daniel

Hank Sniadoch

Try Best Buy.
> Thank you for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it.
>
> Where could I get the Dell Inspiron 1000 for about $700 ? Dell sells it

for
> about $1000 since the last time I checked their site ((
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel
>
> "Matthew Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > For what is sounds like you do, Daniel, I would recommend the Dell

> Inspiron
> > 1000 Laptop. You could get one for about $700 I think that would have

> plenty
> > of speed, memory and hard drive for what you want to do. It comes with a

> one
> > year warranty but you can upgrade it up to 4 years. Right now all Dell's
> > laptops have free shipping and are 10% off.
> >
> > "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a new, with warranty, laptop just for web surfing and

> > email,
> > > mostly just research, all very, very basic functions. Most of what I

> > found,
> > > even the least expensive ones, are "too much hardware" for my needs

(and
> > are
> > > too expensive). Are there any (new) early Pentiums still available or

> even
> > > the sub 1 Ghz celerons ? Do you have a source ? Any advice ?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Daniel

Andrew Watiker

BestBuy doesn't sell Dells but anyway, anything on the market now should be
adequate for your needs pretty much regardless of price, so you can get
something cheap. I just would not buy anything with less than 256 MB RAM
ever. Windows with less than this is just painful. (Though you could get
something with very little memory and upgrade it later). You can get the
Inspiron 1000 on Dell's site for $736.00 and from what I understand about
your needs it would adequate.

"Hank Sniadoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try Best Buy.
> "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Thank you for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it.
> >
> > Where could I get the Dell Inspiron 1000 for about $700 ? Dell sells it

> for
> > about $1000 since the last time I checked their site ((
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > "Matthew Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > For what is sounds like you do, Daniel, I would recommend the Dell

> > Inspiron
> > > 1000 Laptop. You could get one for about $700 I think that would have

> > plenty
> > > of speed, memory and hard drive for what you want to do. It comes with

> > one
> > > year warranty but you can upgrade it up to 4 years. Right now all

Dell's
> > > laptops have free shipping and are 10% off.
> > >
> > > "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

and
> > > email,
> > > found,

> (and
> > > are

or
> > even

Matthew Henderson

dell.com has lowered their prices and I think they are 10% off so for the
configuration I mentioued you could get one for $700-800
"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Thank you for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it.
>
> Where could I get the Dell Inspiron 1000 for about $700 ? Dell sells it

for
> about $1000 since the last time I checked their site ((
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel
>
> "Matthew Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > For what is sounds like you do, Daniel, I would recommend the Dell

> Inspiron
> > 1000 Laptop. You could get one for about $700 I think that would have

> plenty
> > of speed, memory and hard drive for what you want to do. It comes with a

> one
> > year warranty but you can upgrade it up to 4 years. Right now all Dell's
> > laptops have free shipping and are 10% off.
> >
> > "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a new, with warranty, laptop just for web surfing and

> > email,
> > > mostly just research, all very, very basic functions. Most of what I

> > found,
> > > even the least expensive ones, are "too much hardware" for my needs

(and
> > are
> > > too expensive). Are there any (new) early Pentiums still available or

> even
> > > the sub 1 Ghz celerons ? Do you have a source ? Any advice ?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Daniel

Justin

"Andrew Watiker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:XzSHc.2564$(E-Mail Removed) t:

> BestBuy doesn't sell Dells but anyway, anything on the market now
> should be adequate for your needs pretty much regardless of price, so
> you can get something cheap. I just would not buy anything with less
> than 256 MB RAM ever. Windows with less than this is just painful.

Yep. I just fixed my technophobe neighbor's PC (formatted the HD and
reinstalled XP). It's a decent machine: a 2 year old Compaq, 2000mhz
Celeron CPU, CD-R drive, etc. but only has 128MB RAM. I told him I could
get him another 128MB RAM and put it in for free and his PC will be a lot
faster. "I don't need more RAM; 128 MB is fine for me." Ignorance is
bliss, I suppose. "I don't need broadband" is another statement I hear
often; always by someone who's never actually used broadband.

Matthew

"Justin" <justin1138@REMOVEnet> wrote in message
news:Xns952A71556F09Cjustin1138REMOVEzoom@209.25.1 57.130...
>Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. "I don't need broadband" is another

statement I hear often; always by someone who's never actually used
broadband.

Amen to that.