Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > tracing IP address?

tracing IP address?

jovial

Hello Folks,
I read that people who abuse usenet can have their computer IP address
traced and they can be blocked from accessing the newsgroup.
I also learn that for private users(in contrast to company users) the
IP addresses type are assigned dynamically. In other words, each time a user
log in to the ISP network, the person will be assigned a different IP
address by random.
So technically, how can the usenet people block the future access of a
blacklisted guest when the guest will be assigned a different IP address in
the future?

Thank you.

Jovial

Jim Berwick

"jovial" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> So technically, how can the usenet people block the future
> access of a
> blacklisted guest when the guest will be assigned a different IP
> address in the future?

If the guest is using a dynamic IP but is not authenticating with a
user/pass, then the guest's ISP stops them via their RADIUS server. If
they use a user/pass like most commercial servers, you ban their user/pass

Livewire

In article <62zj6jfp14jtc06.090720042330@ibm>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hello Folks,
> I read that people who abuse usenet can have their computer IP address
> traced and they can be blocked from accessing the newsgroup.
> I also learn that for private users(in contrast to company users) the
> IP addresses type are assigned dynamically. In other words, each time a user
> log in to the ISP network, the person will be assigned a different IP
> address by random.
> So technically, how can the usenet people block the future access of a
> blacklisted guest when the guest will be assigned a different IP address in
> the future?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jovial

At random, yes, but only from a range the ISP holds.

The ISP's system would keep a record of which user was assigned which of
its IP addresses at a given time.

tracing a mac address? dexx Cisco 6 05-26-2005 10:18 AM
Tracing a route question rc@die@you@!spammers.sandworm.demon.co.uk Cisco 5 11-08-2004 12:02 PM
Re: ASP 3 Debugging and Tracing in VB.Net Bruce Wayne ASP .Net 2 10-30-2003 02:45 PM
tracing output explanation Benjie Fallar ASP .Net 0 07-15-2003 01:34 AM

Advertisments