Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > digitize video?

digitize video?

mr_ed

Roxio 5 takes analog sound from any source and digitizes it for storage on
the HD, and for creating audio CDs. My question; is there software or
hardware for digitizing the video/sound from an analog VHS tape for storage
on the HD. My Sony handycam will digitize VHS output but the one hour
digital tapes will not hold a complete 2 hour VHS filming. I :need to go
directly from VHS to storage in the computer. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

Chet

You need a video capture device with associated software. I am a little but
familiar with the Pinnacle Systems product line but don't necessarily
recommend theirs over others. See the info at their site:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...52&Langue_ID=7

This particular one interfaces via your USB 2.0 port but there are others
that communicate via firewire or other types of connections.

"mr_ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Roxio 5 takes analog sound from any source and digitizes it for storage on
> the HD, and for creating audio CDs. My question; is there software or
> hardware for digitizing the video/sound from an analog VHS tape for

storage
> on the HD. My Sony handycam will digitize VHS output but the one hour
> digital tapes will not hold a complete 2 hour VHS filming. I :need to go
> directly from VHS to storage in the computer. (E-Mail Removed).

Brad Griffis

I've got the ATI All-in-Wonder card. It does video capture and also allows
you to turn your computer into a Tivo. I've used my wonder card to capture
video and then make a dvd out of it. You will need other software as well.
It adds up quickly!

If you're looking ONLY to turn VHS into DVD then you should look for a
stand-alone piece of hardware to do it. It will probably be around the same
price as buying all the necessary software and hardware and will be WAY
easier.

Brad

"Chet" <chartley(nospam)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> You need a video capture device with associated software. I am a little

but
> familiar with the Pinnacle Systems product line but don't necessarily
> recommend theirs over others. See the info at their site:
>
> http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...52&Langue_ID=7
>
> This particular one interfaces via your USB 2.0 port but there are others
> that communicate via firewire or other types of connections.
>
> "mr_ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Roxio 5 takes analog sound from any source and digitizes it for storage

on
> > the HD, and for creating audio CDs. My question; is there software or
> > hardware for digitizing the video/sound from an analog VHS tape for

> storage
> > on the HD. My Sony handycam will digitize VHS output but the one hour
> > digital tapes will not hold a complete 2 hour VHS filming. I :need to go
> > directly from VHS to storage in the computer. (E-Mail Removed).

ProfGene

There are a couple pieces of hardware from Ads, one of which I use for
transferring video tape to computer for editing. The device I bought is
called Ads video express but the other device they sell will compless the
video and audio to either MPEG, 1,2,3, or 4 and mp4 would allow you to
store an awful lot of video with sound in digital form. Of course all
compression costs fidelity so you might see which format is acceptable to
you.