Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Download speed seems off

Download speed seems off

Darren

Hello,

I have a 56k modem in my computer and am using it to connect to my
colleges dial up networking. I am connecting at anywhere between
50k-52k which seemed good to me. But everything seems to be going
slow. I used to connect to dial up at around 48k and could get
downloads of around 3.5k/s, but with my 52k connection web pages are
are two factors that may play into why its so slow but I dont know
what to do about them. First of all, this is the first time this
computer has been on dial up since I had it on the high speed network
at college. Secondly, I am using the dial up through my college,
which is now a long distance call (colorado to michigan). I dont know
if either of these are affecting my speed or not. Anyone have any
clues? Thanks a lot.

Darren

Chet

It is probably the long distance connection. You can't get the 52k bits per
second rate if there is more than one analog to digital conversion anywhere
along the line. It could also be a noisy connection somewhere along the
path.
"Darren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I have a 56k modem in my computer and am using it to connect to my
> colleges dial up networking. I am connecting at anywhere between
> 50k-52k which seemed good to me. But everything seems to be going
> slow. I used to connect to dial up at around 48k and could get
> downloads of around 3.5k/s, but with my 52k connection web pages are
> are two factors that may play into why its so slow but I dont know
> what to do about them. First of all, this is the first time this
> computer has been on dial up since I had it on the high speed network
> at college. Secondly, I am using the dial up through my college,
> which is now a long distance call (colorado to michigan). I dont know
> if either of these are affecting my speed or not. Anyone have any
> clues? Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren

Thor

"Darren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I have a 56k modem in my computer and am using it to connect to my
> colleges dial up networking. I am connecting at anywhere between
> 50k-52k which seemed good to me. But everything seems to be going
> slow. I used to connect to dial up at around 48k and could get
> downloads of around 3.5k/s, but with my 52k connection web pages are
> are two factors that may play into why its so slow but I dont know
> what to do about them. First of all, this is the first time this
> computer has been on dial up since I had it on the high speed network
> at college. Secondly, I am using the dial up through my college,
> which is now a long distance call (colorado to michigan). I dont know
> if either of these are affecting my speed or not. Anyone have any
> clues? Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren

It could be that your modem is negotiating a connection speed that is simply
too fast for the average line conditions. You may be able to use some AT
commands placed in your moedem's advanced settings to limit the connection
speed to 48K or so, which may actually improve connection stability and
throughput. It all depends on what features your modem supports. You'll have
to find out exactly what kind of modem you have, and then research the
manufacturer and see if they provide an AT command reference for that model.
Also try finding a local ISP rather than using one so far away.

Thor

"Chet" <chartley(nospam)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> It is probably the long distance connection. You can't get the 52k bits

per
> second rate if there is more than one analog to digital conversion

anywhere
> along the line. It could also be a noisy connection somewhere along the
> path.

If there was more than one D/A conversion, it's very unlikely his modem
could negotiate a 56k-range connection with the host's modem. He would be
connecting in the 33.6 and lower range.

DeMoN LaG

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> throughput. It all depends on what features your modem supports.
> You'll have to find out exactly what kind of modem you have, and then
> research the manufacturer and see if they provide an AT command
> reference for that model. Also try finding a local ISP rather than
> using one so far away.

For people with this type of problem, we generally tell them to contact
their telco and get the lines fixed and until then we stick in an AT string
to drop them to 33.6. In this case I'm not sure how appropriate either of
those is since it's a long distance call.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk