Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Recover Data

Recover Data

Lloyd Jones

Can anyone recommend a program that can recover data 100% after it's been
deleted with U.S. DoD 5200.28.-STD.

Thanks.

LJ

Pen

Isn't the whole point of 7 pass wiping to prevent that?

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ccbqdm$3s7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend a program that can recover data 100% after it's

been
> deleted with U.S. DoD 5200.28.-STD.
>
> Thanks.
>
> LJ

Lloyd Jones

>Isn't the whole point of 7 pass wiping to prevent that?

What a helpful post!

I usually use 35 passes, but I really need them files back.

LJ

VWWall

Lloyd Jones wrote:
>>Isn't the whole point of 7 pass wiping to prevent that?

> What a helpful post!
>
> I usually use 35 passes, but I really need them files back.

You must really have time to waste! Or terrible secrets?

If you can find a "program" that will recover data after it's been
written over just once, you'll make a fortune!

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Lloyd Jones

Well that's a damn shame I can't get them files back they we're important.

LJ

Thor

You aren't going to get it back Lloyd. That's kind of the point.

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ccbqdm$3s7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend a program that can recover data 100% after it's been
> deleted with U.S. DoD 5200.28.-STD.
>
> Thanks.
>
> LJ

Lloyd Jones

I could get it back,but it will cost me bucks.

LJ

Scott Gardner

Lloyd Jones wrote:

> I could get it back,but it will cost me bucks.
>
> LJ

Actually, you can't, unless by "will cost me bucks", you mean "will cost me
however much money it takes to develop the new technology to do what no one
in the world can currently do."

Data is stored on a hard drive by setting the individual bits in the media
to either zero or one. The U.S. DoD 5200.28.-STD requires that all of the
bits be re-written a minimum of seven times. There's no technology in the
world that can look at an individual bit and tell you whether it was a zero
or a one **seven writes ago**.

Look at it this way - if it were only a matter of money, there are countries
that would happily spend any amount of money to recover data that's been
wiped using the DoD standard.

Scott Gardner

VWWall

Lloyd Jones wrote:

> I could get it back,but it will cost me bucks.

This was the latest (1996) on "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and
Solid-State Memory". Peter Gutmann's paper is the basis of secure
deletion methods. He has since stated that's it's even harder to
recover data from hard drives that use modern recording techniques.

http://www.usenix.org/publications/l...ann/index.html

http://tinyurl.com/3753t (if the above wraps)

If a drive has failed mechanically or electronically, it may be possible
to recover some of the date. If the magnetic medium has been
over-written, it's almost impossible to do so, even with magnetic force
microscopy described by Gutmann. This involves removing the platters
and using magnetic imaging.

A software program which can be used in a computer to recover data that
has been overwritten even once is not possible with modern drives.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(Microsoft programmer's manual.)

Plato

Lloyd Jones wrote:

> >Isn't the whole point of 7 pass wiping to prevent that?

> What a helpful post!
>
> I usually use 35 passes, but I really need them files back.

Use your backup of the files then. Sheesh.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/