Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Win XP FILE Explorer shuting down randomly!

Win XP FILE Explorer shuting down randomly!

era

Win Explorer (win XP) crashes when viewing files/directories in my 120
GB drive(master disc on a separate IDE slot).
At times i can browse files/directories in the disk a few directoies
before it would shutdown Explorer! Windows does not shutdown though and
there are no error messages!

The shutdown is not releated to any particular types of files/directory
that l was looking at. This computer is NOT connected to the Internet
and have XP service pack 1 installed.

The 120GB disc is partioned into 2 logical drives, and the XP system is
on a physical hard disc.

I have scanned for virus etc... and scandisk several times with no
errors reported.

ANy constructive idea would be appreciated. Whilst l can live with it,
its annoying! Failing any resolution l may have to reformat the hard
disc, but have to backup some rather large files/directories!

era

era wrote:

> Win Explorer (win XP) crashes when viewing files/directories in my 120
> GB drive(master disc on a separate IDE slot).
> At times i can browse files/directories in the disk a few directoies
> before it would shutdown Explorer! Windows does not shutdown though and
> there are no error messages!
>
> The shutdown is not releated to any particular types of files/directory
> that l was looking at. This computer is NOT connected to the Internet
> and have XP service pack 1 installed.
>
> The 120GB disc is partioned into 2 logical drives, and the XP system is
> on a physical hard disc.
>
> I have scanned for virus etc... and scandisk several times with no
> errors reported.
>
> ANy constructive idea would be appreciated. Whilst l can live with it,
> its annoying! Failing any resolution l may have to reformat the hard
> disc, but have to backup some rather large files/directories!

This is an NTFS file system

The Prophecy

era wrote:
> era wrote:
>
>> Win Explorer (win XP) crashes when viewing files/directories in my
>> 120 GB drive(master disc on a separate IDE slot).
>> At times i can browse files/directories in the disk a few directoies
>> before it would shutdown Explorer! Windows does not shutdown though
>> and there are no error messages!
>>
>> The shutdown is not releated to any particular types of
>> files/directory that l was looking at. This computer is NOT
>> connected to the Internet and have XP service pack 1 installed.
>>
>> The 120GB disc is partioned into 2 logical drives, and the XP system
>> is on a physical hard disc.
>>
>> I have scanned for virus etc... and scandisk several times with no
>> errors reported.
>>
>> ANy constructive idea would be appreciated. Whilst l can live with
>> it, its annoying! Failing any resolution l may have to reformat the
>> hard disc, but have to backup some rather large files/directories!

> This is an NTFS file system

Find the Windows XP CD you used to install the OS with and put it into your
CD ROM drive. Then go to Start, Run, type in "sfc /scannow" (no quotes).
Wait until it finishes and then reboot. Once you are done rebooting (remove
the cd before you actually reboot) you should no longer have this problem.