Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Trouble Ghosting Windows 2000 HD

Trouble Ghosting Windows 2000 HD

mcp6453

I have spent the better part of the weekend trying to Ghost drives for
Windows 2000 computers, partly as an excercise, partly to fix a
computer. I have used both Ghost 2001 and Ghost 2003, booted from
floppy.

The results have been mixed. The drive I'm trying to Ghost is the boot
disk. One worked, two came up with a Virtual Memory/No Swap File error,
and the drive is not recognized in the latest. I have Ghosted MANY
Windows 98 (FAT32) drives with no problems. There is something with
Windows 2K/NTFS that is baffling me. What's the secret? I have followed
the directions from the Symantec site in detail, particularly the part
about not starting up Windows with the Ghosted drive connected at the
same time as the boot drive.

Second question: I want to take a Windows 2000 boot drive and make it a
second drive. Can I or should I make the partion inactive? If it is
active, it grabs a drive letter ahead of the CD-ROM drives, which
creates a problem with installed applications that are accustomed to the
CD-ROM drives being D and E. I realize that I can change the drive
letters in Disk Manager, but I would like to know the answer to this
question. I was able to make a FAT32 partition inactive, but I don't
know if FDSIK works the same way for NTFS.

Trent©

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:24:51 GMT, mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have spent the better part of the weekend trying to Ghost drives for
>Windows 2000 computers, partly as an excercise, partly to fix a
>computer. I have used both Ghost 2001 and Ghost 2003, booted from
>floppy.
>
>The results have been mixed. The drive I'm trying to Ghost is the boot
>disk. One worked, two came up with a Virtual Memory/No Swap File error,
>and the drive is not recognized in the latest. I have Ghosted MANY
>Windows 98 (FAT32) drives with no problems. There is something with
>Windows 2K/NTFS that is baffling me. What's the secret?

There's really no secret. I do it all the time...although I've gotten
more fond of Drive Image lately. Just make sure you do a CHKDSK and a
defrag before you start. I also always compact my OE files and delete
any temporary Internet files.

>I have followed
>the directions from the Symantec site in detail, particularly the part
>about not starting up Windows with the Ghosted drive connected at the
>same time as the boot drive.

But that's got nothing to do with the ghosting process. It should
complete okay...and you should then be able to boot from the new
ghosted drive.

Make SURE you have the latest updates for these programs. Like
everything else that Symantec touches, this was a good program 'till
they took it over.

>Second question: I want to take a Windows 2000 boot drive and make it a
>second drive. Can I or should I make the partion inactive? If it is
>active, it grabs a drive letter ahead of the CD-ROM drives, which
>creates a problem with installed applications that are accustomed to the
>CD-ROM drives being D and E. I realize that I can change the drive
>letters in Disk Manager, but I would like to know the answer to this
>question.

Its still always a good idea to change the letters on any optical
drives. Some devices will change the letters anyway...no matter what
you do to that extra drive. Digital cameras do that often...as to
memory card readers, etc.

Make your rom drive R...any writer W...or whatever other configuration
that makes sense to you.

Hope ya'll have a nice 4th of July weekend...

Trent©