Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Fried Laptop Help!!!

Fried Laptop Help!!!

ab

My brother must have fried his laptop the other day. He was forced to use
one of those three prong to 2 prong ac adapters to use his laptop on ac. Now
it will not boot up, and there is a smell of overheating.

May be a stupid question, but is it always death to a computer to plug it's
3 prong ac cable into a 2 way? How about using a three prong and an
extension cord?

Also can where and how you plug in the modem cause a problem such as this?
For instance if you are forced to use a telephone cable extension to reach
the telephone wall outlet.

I know this all sounds a bit strange, but he just starting using a laptop
and in his travels has to rely on all manner of power and modem plugin
sites.

All help Appreciated.

I'm gonna stick with my desktop.

AB

Jim Berwick

"ab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:fiDFc.1616$(E-Mail Removed):

> My brother must have fried his laptop the other day. He was forced to
> use one of those three prong to 2 prong ac adapters to use his laptop
> on ac. Now it will not boot up, and there is a smell of overheating.

I doubt the two were directly related.

Ashton Fagg

yes it would fry the power supply because there is a difference in the
voltage coming in to the power supply to what it can actually take. An
extension won't make a difference becase it doen't alter the voltage. Using
a 3 prong phone jack won't make any difference. I sugest repalcing the
laptop.

Hope that helps

"ab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fiDFc.1616$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My brother must have fried his laptop the other day. He was forced to use
> one of those three prong to 2 prong ac adapters to use his laptop on ac.

Now
> it will not boot up, and there is a smell of overheating.
>
> May be a stupid question, but is it always death to a computer to plug

it's
> 3 prong ac cable into a 2 way? How about using a three prong and an
> extension cord?
>
> Also can where and how you plug in the modem cause a problem such as this?
> For instance if you are forced to use a telephone cable extension to reach
> the telephone wall outlet.
>
> I know this all sounds a bit strange, but he just starting using a laptop
> and in his travels has to rely on all manner of power and modem plugin
> sites.
>
> All help Appreciated.
>
> I'm gonna stick with my desktop.
>
> AB

Ashton Fagg, the mouldy, swerving clotpole

.... wrote the ****tard who can't use a search engine.