Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > strange sound problem

strange sound problem

tomScotland

I've been trying to suss out a sound issue that a mate of mine is having on
his xp machine.
System sounds (start up music, beeps etc) all work fine (all the time).
Windows Media Player (and other players) plays mp3 files for a while then
stops working, giving a message -
"player cannot play the file because there is a problem with the sound
device. there may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may
be in use by another program, or it may not be fucnctioning proeperly"

So, this is resolved temporarily with a shutdown/restart.
Device manager shows no problems, all drivers up to date etc.

any help?

--
The following is a true story -
only the address has been changed, to protect the guilty

tomScotland
blog - http://musicalsnobbery.blogspot.com
stop your grinnin' and drop YOUR LINEN to reply

Thor

"tomScotland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been trying to suss out a sound issue that a mate of mine is having

on
> his xp machine.
> System sounds (start up music, beeps etc) all work fine (all the time).
> Windows Media Player (and other players) plays mp3 files for a while then
> stops working, giving a message -
> "player cannot play the file because there is a problem with the sound
> device. there may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may
> be in use by another program, or it may not be fucnctioning proeperly"
>
> So, this is resolved temporarily with a shutdown/restart.
> Device manager shows no problems, all drivers up to date etc.

You likely have an issue with the sound card drivers, or the card itself.
Try moving the sound card to a different slot, (if you have a discreet card)
and reinstalling the drivers. If you have onboard sound, your options are
limited to playing around with the driver software, or possibly disabling
the onboard sound, and buying a discreet card.

tomScotland

Thor wrote:
> "tomScotland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've been trying to suss out a sound issue that a mate of mine is
>> having on his xp machine.
>> System sounds (start up music, beeps etc) all work fine (all the
>> time). Windows Media Player (and other players) plays mp3 files for
>> a while then stops working, giving a message -
>> "player cannot play the file because there is a problem with the
>> sound device. there may not be a sound device installed on your
>> computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be
>> fucnctioning proeperly"
>>
>> So, this is resolved temporarily with a shutdown/restart.
>> Device manager shows no problems, all drivers up to date etc.

> You likely have an issue with the sound card drivers, or the card
> itself. Try moving the sound card to a different slot, (if you have a
> discreet card) and reinstalling the drivers. If you have onboard
> sound, your options are limited to playing around with the driver
> software, or possibly disabling the onboard sound, and buying a
> discreet card.

Thor, thanks for the reply. The issue has now broadened somewhat, he has
been faffing around with his system, I went over today to be met with a
computer that will not boot windows, and a message reading "NTLDR Missing".
I fear the worst for this scenario - he has no restore disk, and no OS disc
with which to perform a clean install. Any pointers?
--

tomScotland wrote:

> Thor, thanks for the reply. The issue has now broadened somewhat, he
> has been faffing around with his system, I went over today to be met
> with a computer that will not boot windows, and a message reading
> "NTLDR Missing". I fear the worst for this scenario - he has no
> restore disk, and no OS disc with which to perform a clean install.
> Any pointers?

I forgot to say I have checked the BIOS and made sure its pointing to the
correct first boot device. Sigh.....

--
The following is a true story -
only the address has been changed, to protect the guilty

tomScotland
blog - http://musicalsnobbery.blogspot.com
stop your grinnin' and drop YOUR LINEN to reply

Thor

"tomScotland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> tomScotland wrote:
>
> > Thor, thanks for the reply. The issue has now broadened somewhat, he
> > has been faffing around with his system, I went over today to be met
> > with a computer that will not boot windows, and a message reading
> > "NTLDR Missing". I fear the worst for this scenario - he has no
> > restore disk, and no OS disc with which to perform a clean install.
> > Any pointers?

> I forgot to say I have checked the BIOS and made sure its pointing to the
> correct first boot device. Sigh.....

Assuming you are working with XP here, you could try getting a copy of the
NTLDR file from a working machine with the same OS version, copying it to a
startup floppy, and then copying that to your machine. Easy if the drive is
FAT32, more difficult if it is NTFS. If it's NTFS, you either need NTFSDOS
pro to write to the drive using a startup disk, or instead, take the
malfunctioning drive out and slave it to a working system with XP, so the
NTFS drive can be recognized. Then copy over the NTLDR file. Without any
restore or OS discs to simply do a repair install, your options are limited.