Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > XP won't get past Splash

XP won't get past Splash

Ralph D.

WinXP (sp1 all updates until about 3 or 4 weeks ago) /98SE Dual boot

ECS K7S5A v 3.1

Last Sunday I installed Motherboard Monitor... this may be a red herring, as
it ran OK until today, but that and a lost connection mssg with my HP
Photosmart 1215 are the only things of any remarkable note.

Today I rebooted XP and got as far as the splash screen where the green line
runs across and then the screen went blank and stayed that way.

Restarted to the Normal Start with same results.

Start with Last Known Good Configuration did the same.

Started Safe mode and removed MotherBoard Monitor with no joy.

Started Safe mode and did a Restore Point to Saturday, when I restarted it
got to the same spot and died... but when I went back to Safe Mode it said
'Restore Successful', yet when I tried to restart I still only got to the
same Splash with green bar and then black and let it wait it out for over 5
minutes with not so much as a flicker out of the HD light.

Device Manager shows nothing unusual.

Win98SE boots and runs fine.

?????????What next?????????

Thanks for any help!

Ralph D.

"Ralph D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WinXP (sp1 all updates until about 3 or 4 weeks ago) /98SE Dual boot
>
> ECS K7S5A v 3.1
>
> Last Sunday I installed Motherboard Monitor... this may be a red herring,

as
> it ran OK until today, but that and a lost connection mssg with my HP
> Photosmart 1215 are the only things of any remarkable note.
>

> Today I rebooted XP and got as far as the splash screen where the green

line
> runs across and then the screen went blank and stayed that way.
>
> Restarted to the Normal Start with same results.
>
> Start with Last Known Good Configuration did the same.
>
> Started Safe mode and removed MotherBoard Monitor with no joy.
>
> Started Safe mode and did a Restore Point to Saturday, when I restarted it
> got to the same spot and died... but when I went back to Safe Mode it said
> 'Restore Successful', yet when I tried to restart I still only got to the
> same Splash with green bar and then black and let it wait it out for over

5
> minutes with not so much as a flicker out of the HD light.
>
> Device Manager shows nothing unusual.
>
> Win98SE boots and runs fine.
>

> ?????????What next?????????
>

> Thanks for any help!

Just to be clear... I may be mis-phrasing when I call the black WinXP Home
screen with the moving green bar a Splash screen... but the idea is that XP
stops responding at this point in the boot process.

The Prophecy

Ralph D. wrote:
> "Ralph D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> WinXP (sp1 all updates until about 3 or 4 weeks ago) /98SE Dual boot
>>
>> ECS K7S5A v 3.1
>>
>> Last Sunday I installed Motherboard Monitor... this may be a red
>> herring, as it ran OK until today, but that and a lost connection
>> mssg with my HP Photosmart 1215 are the only things of any
>> remarkable note.
>>

>> Today I rebooted XP and got as far as the splash screen where the
>> green line runs across and then the screen went blank and stayed
>> that way.
>>
>> Restarted to the Normal Start with same results.
>>
>> Start with Last Known Good Configuration did the same.
>>
>> Started Safe mode and removed MotherBoard Monitor with no joy.
>>
>> Started Safe mode and did a Restore Point to Saturday, when I
>> restarted it got to the same spot and died... but when I went back
>> to Safe Mode it said 'Restore Successful', yet when I tried to
>> restart I still only got to the same Splash with green bar and then
>> black and let it wait it out for over 5 minutes with not so much as
>> a flicker out of the HD light.
>>
>> Device Manager shows nothing unusual.
>>
>> Win98SE boots and runs fine.
>>

>> ?????????What next?????????
>>

>> Thanks for any help!
>>

> Just to be clear... I may be mis-phrasing when I call the black WinXP
> Home screen with the moving green bar a Splash screen... but the idea
> is that XP stops responding at this point in the boot process.

I encountered this problem before. This explanation may not work for you but
it is a good starting point.

A friends computer was freezing at the splash screen just as you have
described. I figured it was due to an old driver from an ATI video card that
was not properly uninstalled. When the new driver was installed for the new
card, my friend noticed this problem and called me.

Have you made any recent hardware changes to your computer?

Ralph D.

"The Prophecy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Ralph D. wrote:
> > "Ralph D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> WinXP (sp1 all updates until about 3 or 4 weeks ago) /98SE Dual boot
> >>
> >> ECS K7S5A v 3.1
> >>
> >> Last Sunday I installed Motherboard Monitor... this may be a red
> >> herring, as it ran OK until today, but that and a lost connection
> >> mssg with my HP Photosmart 1215 are the only things of any
> >> remarkable note.
> >>

> >> Today I rebooted XP and got as far as the splash screen where the
> >> green line runs across and then the screen went blank and stayed
> >> that way.
> >>
> >> Restarted to the Normal Start with same results.
> >>
> >> Start with Last Known Good Configuration did the same.
> >>
> >> Started Safe mode and removed MotherBoard Monitor with no joy.
> >>
> >> Started Safe mode and did a Restore Point to Saturday, when I
> >> restarted it got to the same spot and died... but when I went back
> >> to Safe Mode it said 'Restore Successful', yet when I tried to
> >> restart I still only got to the same Splash with green bar and then
> >> black and let it wait it out for over 5 minutes with not so much as
> >> a flicker out of the HD light.
> >>
> >> Device Manager shows nothing unusual.
> >>
> >> Win98SE boots and runs fine.
> >>

> >> ?????????What next?????????
> >>

> >> Thanks for any help!
> >>

> > Just to be clear... I may be mis-phrasing when I call the black WinXP
> > Home screen with the moving green bar a Splash screen... but the idea
> > is that XP stops responding at this point in the boot process.

> I encountered this problem before. This explanation may not work for you

but
> it is a good starting point.
>
> A friends computer was freezing at the splash screen just as you have
> described. I figured it was due to an old driver from an ATI video card

that
> was not properly uninstalled. When the new driver was installed for the

new
> card, my friend noticed this problem and called me.
>
> Have you made any recent hardware changes to your computer?

No changes since my video went dead about 2 1/2 months or more back.
Replaced it with an old NVIDIA GeForce MX440 64Meg card I had, but the
installation and drivers went fine and has run fine since. When I look at
Device Mgr in Safe Mode I do not see any issues.

Thanks for responding

The Prophecy

Ralph D. wrote:
> "The Prophecy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Ralph D. wrote:
>>> "Ralph D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Just to be clear... I may be mis-phrasing when I call the black
>>> WinXP Home screen with the moving green bar a Splash screen... but
>>> the idea is that XP stops responding at this point in the boot
>>> process.

>> I encountered this problem before. This explanation may not work for
>> you but it is a good starting point.
>>
>> A friends computer was freezing at the splash screen just as you have
>> described. I figured it was due to an old driver from an ATI video
>> card that was not properly uninstalled. When the new driver was
>> installed for the new card, my friend noticed this problem and
>> called me.
>>
>> Have you made any recent hardware changes to your computer?
>>

> No changes since my video went dead about 2 1/2 months or more back.
> Replaced it with an old NVIDIA GeForce MX440 64Meg card I had, but the
> installation and drivers went fine and has run fine since. When I
> look at Device Mgr in Safe Mode I do not see any issues.
>
> Thanks for responding

Do you have the latest video driver? The latest one for the Geforce Cards
should be 5.6.7.2

Here is the link if your driver is out of date:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.72