Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > IP - Going to change

IP - Going to change

Lloyd Jones

Short for Internet Protocol next generation, a version of the Internet
Protocol (IP) reviewed in IETF standards committees to replace IP version 4.
The official name of IPng is IPv6, where the v6 stands for version 6. The
current version of IP is version 4, so it is sometimes referred to as IPv4.
IPv6 is designed as an evolutionary upgrade to the Internet Protocol and
will, in fact, coexist with the older IPv4 for some time. IPv6 is designed
to allow the Internet to grow steadily, both in terms of the number of hosts
connected and the total amount of data traffic transmitted.

LJ

DeMoN LaG

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:cbv100$9gk$(E-Mail Removed):

> Short for Internet Protocol next generation, a version of the Internet
> Protocol (IP) reviewed in IETF standards committees to replace IP
> version 4. The official name of IPng is IPv6, where the v6 stands for
> version 6. The current version of IP is version 4, so it is sometimes
> referred to as IPv4. IPv6 is designed as an evolutionary upgrade to
> the Internet Protocol and will, in fact, coexist with the older IPv4
> for some time. IPv6 is designed to allow the Internet to grow
> steadily, both in terms of the number of hosts connected and the total
> amount of data traffic transmitted.

IPv6 has been around for some time now. The major difference is more
efficient headers and using 128bits to represent the host, not 32, which
basically allows for everything on the planet to have it's own IP address.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk