Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help with Norton A/V

Help with Norton A/V

Chet

A machine running Win ME and Norton A/V 2001 (both with latest updates) all
of a sudden started reporting "Unable to find valid virus definitions files.
Please reinstall Norton AntiVirus".

I have reinstalled twice with no effect. I have used Restore to go back to
a day when it was working correctly. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I am willing to upgrade to new Norton if it will run on ME, can anybody tell
me whether the newest (2004) will work on ME?

Thor

You may have a corrupt virus definition database. First, uninstall Norton
Antivirus, then go to c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ and
delete everything in the "symantec shared" folder there. Also, find the
Norton Antivirus folder in C:\program files\ and delete that. Then,
re-install Norton, and update the defs.

"Chet" <chartley(nospam)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> A machine running Win ME and Norton A/V 2001 (both with latest updates)

all
> of a sudden started reporting "Unable to find valid virus definitions

files.
> Please reinstall Norton AntiVirus".
>
> I have reinstalled twice with no effect. I have used Restore to go back

> a day when it was working correctly. Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> I am willing to upgrade to new Norton if it will run on ME, can anybody

tell
> me whether the newest (2004) will work on ME?

mcp6453

Chet wrote:

> A machine running Win ME and Norton A/V 2001 (both with latest updates) all
> of a sudden started reporting "Unable to find valid virus definitions files.
> Please reinstall Norton AntiVirus".
>
> I have reinstalled twice with no effect. I have used Restore to go back to
> a day when it was working correctly. Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> I am willing to upgrade to new Norton if it will run on ME, can anybody tell
> me whether the newest (2004) will work on ME?

Your best bet is to search http://www.symantec.com for a solution.
Norton is known for problems like this, although ME could be the
problem. If I were you, I would completely remove Norton from my
computer and download a good AV program (free for the first year) at
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft, or particularly
http://tinyurl.com/2tzu8.

mark mandel

"Chet" <chartley(nospam)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> A machine running Win ME and Norton A/V 2001 (both with latest updates)

all
> of a sudden started reporting "Unable to find valid virus definitions

files.
> Please reinstall Norton AntiVirus".
>
> I have reinstalled twice with no effect. I have used Restore to go back

> a day when it was working correctly. Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> I am willing to upgrade to new Norton if it will run on ME, can anybody

tell
> me whether the newest (2004) will work on ME?

In addition to what Thor wrote I would delete all references to Symantec and
Norton in the Registry, then reinstall(make certain you've backed it up
first). I haven't exactly heard the most positive complements about NAV
2004, though that may be true for the entire NSW and not just the NAV
program.

Mark Mandell

Chet

Thanks to all.

I ended up removing NAV then removing all files and directories with
"Norton" or "Symantec" names. Didn't mess with the registry. After
re-install and reboot, seems to be running correctly. I am currently
running a full system scan.

Trent©

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:42:33 GMT, "Chet"
<chartley(nospam)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks to all.
>
>I ended up removing NAV then removing all files and directories with
>"Norton" or "Symantec" names. Didn't mess with the registry. After
>re-install and reboot, seems to be running correctly. I am currently
>running a full system scan.

Virus definitions aside, I would think that Norton has upgrade their
engine since 2001. You could be running a version that won't detect
the latest virii.

If you don't have the latest engine, I'd consider upgrading that
portion of the program also. Although, in general, Norton sucks!!

In the meantime, go to the Trend Micro site and use Housecalls. Its
often found virii for me that Norton has missed.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Lloyd Jones

>Although, in general, Norton sucks!!