Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help please - video card not working - win xp environment

Help please - video card not working - win xp environment

Triangle Web Hosting and Design

Hi,
This is a Win XP environment in which I am trying to install the card,
btw.
I have had this card working previously but lately it will not install
the drivers and software needed for two of the somewhat interesting
features, capturing and viewing TV programming/TV shows. This is a ATI
Radeon All-In-Wonder 9600 XT. I get the following errors when trying to
install the Multimedia Control Center and at this point it stops the
install -
first I get with MMC88 Setup the error Serious Unable to Read Reg File.
Then during a later part of the install it says failed to load dll FindProc
and halts the install. I should say above when it stops the first time it
is unable to continue that part of the installation, but it does go on and
try other parts of the installation, some of which say install the
Multimedia Control Center first.
So, thinking this might be a windows issue, perhaps a corrupt dll file
and reg file, I tried the sfc command, as that seemed to help in the past.
I opened a command window and issued the command as follows:
sfc /scannow

It seemed to proceed as the last time that something happened where this
command was suggested to try. I had forgotten what it was but then I found
it in the command listing. Any and all advice would be really appreciated.
I'm not sure if I should remove the software and the device from the control
panel and set it to VGA and then try to reinstall the entire software,
perhaps in a new location or what.
Thanks,
Bruce

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bruce Whealton http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Jerry G.

It is very important that you did a proper uninstallation and cleanup of the
registry concerning the original card that was previously installed in the
machine. If not, you have a very big cleanup to do now!

You must do a proper cleanup, and may have to do the repair procedure for
XP. Then you should be able to a proper install of the new ATI card, and all
of its software. If the repair does not work for you, then you will have to
re-format the drive, and install everything from scratch.

By your description, the old card's drivers, software, and its registry
entries have not been properly cleaned up.

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
==========================

"Triangle Web Hosting and Design" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:JXqDc.14921$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
[...]

Bruce Whealton (E-Mail Removed)
Webmaster/Web Designer/Writer
Publisher of Word Salad - Poetry Magazine:
http://wordsalad.net
Check out our poetry contest "Poets Against Poverty"
http://poetsagainstpoverty.wordsalad.net

Wizard

Nonsense! the registry is corrupt, probably from drive corruption.