Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Klez virus

Klez virus

Pablo

Yesterday I was backing up my files, and I decided to backup all of my
emails in Outlook Express (even though I haven't used it in a couple
years...I use Thunderbird) by saving them in a folder. While they were
copying over, AVG said something about having Klez.

This morning the virus scan (does it every morning) said that it found
the Klez virus and...isolated? it.

I read online that it's apparently really difficult to get rid of, but I
did another virus scan and it didn't find anything. I also deleted the
file that had the email in it.

So...is it gone? Did the virus never actually load?

Thanks, I've never really had to deal with a virus, so I'm sort of in
the dark at the moment.

-Pablo

Lloyd Jones

If your AV hasn't found it after it quarantined it, it's probably gone but
you can download a removal tool for it form here:

http://(E-Mail Removed)

LJ

Pablo

Thanks, I'll check it out. At least this will teach me to back up more
often.

Lloyd Jones wrote:

> If your AV hasn't found it after it quarantined it, it's probably gone but
> you can download a removal tool for it form here:
>
> http://(E-Mail Removed)
>
> LJ

Pablo

Alright, I downloaded it and followed the instructions thus far
(disabling system restore, disconnecting from network, etc), but I can't
get into safe mode! Online I've read that you should press F8 for Win
ME, but Dell's site says "Ctrl." I've done both, multiple times, and it
doesn't boot into safe mode.

Think it has something to do with GRUB, the boot loader (I have an old
install of Linux on a different drive)?

Lloyd Jones wrote:
> If your AV hasn't found it after it quarantined it, it's probably gone but
> you can download a removal tool for it form here:
>
> http://(E-Mail Removed)
>
> LJ

Lloyd Jones

I've always used F8 on every computer I've had to boot into safe mode. I'm
sure someone can help you out in here.

LJ

Jim Berwick

Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:_gFCc.111683$0y.21654
@attbi_s03:

> Alright, I downloaded it and followed the instructions thus far
> (disabling system restore, disconnecting from network, etc), but I can't
> get into safe mode! Online I've read that you should press F8 for Win
> ME, but Dell's site says "Ctrl." I've done both, multiple times, and it
> doesn't boot into safe mode.

For ME I believe you can /HOLD/ the left control key down (ctrl) during
boot and it will give you the boot menu.

Unknown

"Pablo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Yesterday I was backing up my files, and I decided to backup all of my
> emails in Outlook Express (even though I haven't used it in a couple
> years...I use Thunderbird) by saving them in a folder. While they were
> copying over, AVG said something about having Klez.
>
> This morning the virus scan (does it every morning) said that it found
> the Klez virus and...isolated? it.
>
> I read online that it's apparently really difficult to get rid of, but I

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ and download Stinger to get rid of it and 40
others in one pass.

Unknown

"Lloyd Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbf3qv$lpb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your AV hasn't found it after it quarantined it, it's probably gone but
> you can download a removal tool for it form here:

http://(E-Mail Removed)

> LJ

Symantec removal tools are not as good as Stinger. You need one per
infection from them and you can only run one of them at a time whereas
Stinger knows 41 and variants and gets rid of them all in 1 pass.

Unknown

"Pablo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Alright, I downloaded it and followed the instructions thus far
> (disabling system restore, disconnecting from network, etc), but I can't
> get into safe mode! Online I've read that you should press F8 for Win
> ME, but Dell's site says "Ctrl." I've done both, multiple times, and it
> doesn't boot into safe mode.

Go to your normal Windows, then Start button and Run. Type Msconfig in there
and hit enter. When that comes up go to the "boot.ini" tab and in there you
will see a tick box for "/SAFEBOOT". Put a tick in there, click OK and
restart. It can ONLY start in Safe Mode from now on. Go into safe mode, do
whatever you have to do then run Msconfig again, remove that tick and click
OK and then it boots normally again.

Lloyd Jones

The link I posted will get rid of that virus or it can sometimes be a worm,
but it will get rid 100%.

LJ

Virus in virus? DS Computer Support 3 02-08-2004 09:30 AM
KLEZ 32 Computer Support 2 08-08-2003 02:25 PM

Advertisments