Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > banner motd

banner motd

S. Voigt

Hi,

is there a way to display the source ip of a connecting telnet peer into
an banner motd ? I tried the token $(peer-ip) but it wont work.

I saw this once somewhere else working (but i'm not sure if it was a
banner motd).

I need to display the hostname ($(hostname) = working), the port
($(line-desc)$(line), working) and the source ip (??, not working).

Tia,

Steffen

Aaron Leonard

Sorry, $(peer-ip) works only for a slip/ppp banner, not for an motd.
See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...nban.htm#20787 .

Aaron

---

~ Hi,
~
~ is there a way to display the source ip of a connecting telnet peer into
~ an banner motd ? I tried the token $(peer-ip) but it wont work.
~
~ I saw this once somewhere else working (but i'm not sure if it was a
~ banner motd).
~
~ I need to display the hostname ($(hostname) = working), the port
~ ($(line-desc)$(line), working) and the source ip (??, not working).
~
~ Tia,
~
~ Steffen

S. Voigt

Hmm... so no way at all to display something like that...

Aaron, this should be put on the Cisco customer wishlist

Tia,

Steffen

Aaron Leonard wrote:

> Sorry, $(peer-ip) works only for a slip/ppp banner, not for an motd.
> See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...nban.htm#20787 .
>
> Aaron
>
> ---
>
> ~ Hi,
> ~
> ~ is there a way to display the source ip of a connecting telnet peer into
> ~ an banner motd ? I tried the token $(peer-ip) but it wont work.
> ~
> ~ I saw this once somewhere else working (but i'm not sure if it was a
> ~ banner motd).
> ~
> ~ I need to display the hostname ($(hostname) = working), the port
> ~ ($(line-desc)$(line), working) and the source ip (??, not working).
> ~
> ~ Tia,
> ~
> ~ Steffen

Aaron Leonard

Well, rather than me submitting an ad-hoc enhancement request
for this specific desire, the better approach is for us to
provide a flexible GENERAL-PURPOSE facility where customers
can set things to their liking.

The good news is that we now support Tcl scripts in the exec.
So you could write a Tcl script which parses the telnet client's
IP address out of "show users" then displays it in the desired
format.

I would not say that Tcl exec support is ready for prime time
based upon my recent tests, but it should be stable by 12.4.

Regards,

Aaron

---

~ Aaron Leonard wrote:
~
~ > Sorry, $(peer-ip) works only for a slip/ppp banner, not for an motd.
~ > See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...nban.htm#20787 .
~ >
~ > Aaron
~ >