Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Do you need to buy the SAME brand for networking?

Reply
Thread Tools

Do you need to buy the SAME brand for networking?

 
 
BillKirch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2004
I have a Netgear Wireless router one one computer and NGear USB reciever on my
Laptop. WE also have a third computerin another room and it could take a PCI
card reciever. Question? should I buy the Brand for the PCi or can I get a
cheaper compatible Card. Will I avoid alot of problems getting the netgear
Card. Thanks BG
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)oads (BillKirch) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a Netgear Wireless router one one computer and NGear USB
> reciever on my Laptop. WE also have a third computerin another room
> and it could take a PCI card reciever. Question? should I buy the
> Brand for the PCi or can I get a cheaper compatible Card. Will I avoid
> alot of problems getting the netgear Card. Thanks BG
>


I always find it best to keep the brand names the same on all equipment.
That way there is no finger pointing.

Duane
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hoffman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2004
Duane has a good point, but, if the router is, for example, 802.11a and the
pci card is 802.11a, then they will work together just fine.
Larry

"Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns950CDECB9938Fnotmenotmecoml@204.127.204.17 ...
> (E-Mail Removed)oads (BillKirch) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have a Netgear Wireless router one one computer and NGear USB
> > reciever on my Laptop. WE also have a third computerin another room
> > and it could take a PCI card reciever. Question? should I buy the
> > Brand for the PCi or can I get a cheaper compatible Card. Will I avoid
> > alot of problems getting the netgear Card. Thanks BG
> >

>
> I always find it best to keep the brand names the same on all equipment.
> That way there is no finger pointing.
>
> Duane



 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Baer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2004
Hoffman wrote:
>
> Duane has a good point, but, if the router is, for example, 802.11a and the
> pci card is 802.11a, then they will work together just fine.
> Larry
>
> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns950CDECB9938Fnotmenotmecoml@204.127.204.17 ...
> > (E-Mail Removed)oads (BillKirch) wrote in
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > I have a Netgear Wireless router one one computer and NGear USB
> > > reciever on my Laptop. WE also have a third computerin another room
> > > and it could take a PCI card reciever. Question? should I buy the
> > > Brand for the PCi or can I get a cheaper compatible Card. Will I avoid
> > > alot of problems getting the netgear Card. Thanks BG
> > >

> >
> > I always find it best to keep the brand names the same on all equipment.
> > That way there is no finger pointing.
> >
> > Duane


However, there is a brand that is a POS on installation - if you do
not cross all I's and dot all T's in the correct order, then one could
be reduced to wiping the HD (to get rid of the software) and a long
re-installation procedure.
Unfortunately, i did not pay attention to the brand; a good friend
that has never had trouble in setting up computers and networks (for
many years) told me about this problem.
He wound up tossing the board and software, and putting that brand on
his DNBAAP (Do Not Buy At Any Price) list.
If you really need to know, maybe i could find out.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Berwick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2004
"Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:XbOAc.15$(E-Mail Removed) ers.com:

> Duane has a good point, but, if the router is, for example, 802.11a
> and the pci card is 802.11a, then they will work together just fine.
> Larry
>


Case in point, sitting next to my desktop in the office is my laptop with
an Orinoco chipset (otherwise generic) 802.11b card talking to our Linksys
2.4ghz 801.11g/b WAP. Works fine, speeds of about 1.5Mbit reported by DSL
reports.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
don't like, so don't waste your time thinking and buy them. You know,if you don't like one thing, it means nothing for you.</p> fashion t shirts seller Cisco 0 06-13-2011 02:01 AM
Should You Buy Store Brand Canned Goods or Brand Name? POLO TSHIRT Java 0 11-06-2010 01:00 AM
need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool kit to buy (physical tool kits, not software kits/suites) Trevor Smithson Computer Information 1 05-27-2005 01:15 AM
need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool kit to buy (physical tool kits, not software kits/suites) Trevor Smithson Computer Support 5 05-25-2005 07:48 PM



Advertisments