Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Remote Assistance

Remote Assistance

Alistair

Hello

Will Netmeeting under Win XP work a remote pc running Netmeeting with OS Win
98 SE sharing the desktop? This is like a remote assistance with my friend
who has alittle trouble sometimes - just saves me travelling 20 miles to go
and sort it!!!!

Thank you

Alistair

The Prophecy

Alistair wrote:
> Hello
>
> Will Netmeeting under Win XP work a remote pc running Netmeeting with
> OS Win 98 SE sharing the desktop? This is like a remote assistance
> with my friend who has alittle trouble sometimes - just saves me
> travelling 20 miles to go and sort it!!!!
>
> Thank you
>
> Alistair

In order to connect to your friend's computer remotely you will probably
need to use a third party program. What is currently available in Windows
will not work. For Remote Assistance you need 2 computers running either XP
Home, XP Pro and I think (I'm not sure) Windows Server 2003. To use Remote
Desktop Connection, you need 2 people running either Windows 2000, XP or
2003. The Remote Desktop Connection software is available as a seperate
download from Microsoft's site but I am 99% sure that you need Windows 2000
or higher. There are options to use third party programs such as RealVNC. I
have used it before and I think it works great. All you need is the person's
computer name or IP address. To get RealVNC go here:

http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

TV Slug

The Prophecy wrote:
> Alistair wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Will Netmeeting under Win XP work a remote pc running Netmeeting with
>> OS Win 98 SE sharing the desktop? This is like a remote assistance
>> with my friend who has alittle trouble sometimes - just saves me
>> travelling 20 miles to go and sort it!!!!
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Alistair

> In order to connect to your friend's computer remotely you will
> probably need to use a third party program. What is currently
> available in Windows will not work. For Remote Assistance you need 2
> computers running either XP Home, XP Pro and I think (I'm not sure)
> Windows Server 2003. To use Remote Desktop Connection, you need 2
> people running either Windows 2000, XP or 2003. The Remote Desktop
> Connection software is available as a seperate download from
> Microsoft's site but I am 99% sure that you need Windows 2000 or
> higher. There are options to use third party programs such as
> RealVNC. I have used it before and I think it works great. All you
> need is the person's computer name or IP address. To get RealVNC go
> here:
>
> http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

I'll second the RealVNC vote. Any friends or family that call me for
computer help on a regular basis get this installed. Now if I could just
find a nicer way to determine the IP for people who use dialup...

---