Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > For those users that have used S video before

Reply
Thread Tools

For those users that have used S video before

 
 
GabrielG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2004
I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV but
it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to do
to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
Gabe


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brad Griffis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2004
Usually you have to turn on the S-Video when you hook something up to it.
Most laptops I've seen use a keystroke such as Fn-F6 to do this. If your Fn
key is purple then you should see a little purple tv icon on one of your
keys (it's F6 on mine).

Another possibility might be to go to Control Panel -> Display and check on
the Settings tab. You might be able to enable it through there.

Brad

"GabrielG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2B6Ac.13597$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV but
> it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to do
> to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
> As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
> Gabe
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Zdenek Sojka
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2004
Is the default LCD screen working?
If so, try some hotkey, it should be described in your documentation.
Ask your notebook's dealer.

As you wrote, it doesnot work at all - nor when booting nor in BIOS.
Another problem could be getting it to work under your OS.
Get prepared, you might need to boot some 'VGA mode' to set TV mode.

Zdenek Sojka

"GabrielG" <(E-Mail Removed)> píše v diskusním příspěvku
news:2B6Ac.13597$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV but
> it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to do
> to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
> As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
> Gabe
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2004
Brad Griffis wrote:
>
> Usually you have to turn on the S-Video when you hook something up to it.
> Most laptops I've seen use a keystroke such as Fn-F6 to do this. If your Fn
> key is purple then you should see a little purple tv icon on one of your
> keys (it's F6 on mine).
>
> Another possibility might be to go to Control Panel -> Display and check on
> the Settings tab. You might be able to enable it through there.


I've never used S-Video. My question is, is there a similiar thing you
have to do with desktops or will the S-Video port just work?




> > I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV but
> > it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to do
> > to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
> > As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
> > Gabe

 
Reply With Quote
 
Hans Vlems
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2004
Or Fn-F4
"Brad Griffis" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:9m8Ac.25079$(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...
> Usually you have to turn on the S-Video when you hook something up to it.
> Most laptops I've seen use a keystroke such as Fn-F6 to do this. If your

Fn
> key is purple then you should see a little purple tv icon on one of your
> keys (it's F6 on mine).
>
> Another possibility might be to go to Control Panel -> Display and check

on
> the Settings tab. You might be able to enable it through there.
>
> Brad
>
> "GabrielG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:2B6Ac.13597$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV

but
> > it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to

do
> > to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
> > As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
> > Gabe
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Yep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2004
"Zdenek Sojka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cat4fr$2dg2$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Is the default LCD screen working?
> If so, try some hotkey, it should be described in your documentation.
> Ask your notebook's dealer.
>
> As you wrote, it doesnot work at all - nor when booting nor in BIOS.
> Another problem could be getting it to work under your OS.
> Get prepared, you might need to boot some 'VGA mode' to set TV mode.
>
> Zdenek Sojka
>
> "GabrielG" <(E-Mail Removed)> píše v diskusním příspěvku
> news:2B6Ac.13597$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV but
> > it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to do
> > to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
> > As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
> > Gabe
> >
> >


I think you need to in this order
1) plug s video into tv
2) plug s video into laptop
3) turn on tv
4) turn on laptop
5) go into display proerties and look for an option to change from monitor to TV

You have to have the TV plugged in and on so that the laptop detects it during boot

I think
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toshi1873
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2004
In article
<(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I think you need to in this order
> 1) plug s video into tv
> 2) plug s video into laptop
> 3) turn on tv
> 4) turn on laptop
> 5) go into display proerties and look for an option to change from monitor to TV
>
> You have to have the TV plugged in and on so that the laptop detects it during boot
>


On my Toshiba laptop (S3 Graphics SuperSavage chip), I
don't think you have to worry about timing (as to what
gets turned on first anymore). But I haven't tested
that empirically.

1) Plug the external display into the appropriate port
(e.g. TV to the S-Video, or external monitor to the back
VGA plug). Turn the external display on.

2) Go to your desktop, right-click and go into Display
Properties. Switch to the "Settings" tab, click on
"Advanced" button.

3) On the S3Display tab, you can then pick which devices
you want to use in combination (you can pick up to two).

Most other modern graphics drivers should have a similar
control panel.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tabasco1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2004

"GabrielG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2B6Ac.13597$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV but
> it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to do
> to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
> As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
> Gabe
>


The Fn key sounds like the right direction to me... Remember that there are
likely 3+ settings so toggle through them one at a time and don't panic when
your laptops display goes out!

You know that you will need to use some more cables for sending the audio
over right?


Charles
Torrance, California
http://www.tcpslashipdomains.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
ProfGene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2004
There are probably sound settings in Control Panel in Display that have to
be setup for TV out.
"GabrielG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2B6Ac.13597$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV but
> it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to do
> to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
> As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
> Gabe
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem in running a basic code in python 3.3.0 that includes HTML file Satabdi Mukherjee Python 1 04-04-2013 07:48 PM
Newbie Question (with apologies to those who have gone before me) newatthis DVD Video 0 07-16-2006 07:53 PM
Good news to all those who are seeking for job in dotnet(Only those who are leaving in Hyderabad -India) BinnuChowdary ASP .Net 0 05-02-2006 04:13 AM
Good news to all those who are seeking for job in dotnet(Only those who are leaving in Hyderabad -India) BinnuChowdary ASP .Net 1 05-01-2006 01:03 PM
Looking for those who have used the socket 754 AMD 64 bit CPU repairs Computer Support 4 09-23-2005 06:16 PM



Advertisments