Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Antec P160

Antec P160

Unknown

Just got one of these cases today and shoved stuff in it. Bloody beautiful
case.

The question though - it has a temp sensor display on the outside of the
case that has two internal wires with sensors on them. I decided to attach
one to the motherboard heat sink and generally "put" one near the hard
drives. The display flicks, every 3 seconds, from one reading to the other.

So what should you expect the temp to be on a Gigabyte 8IPE Pro2 with P4
3.4ghz CPU in it when running? 1 gig dual layer ram if that makes a
difference. Looked through the motherboard book and no help there.

Just curious. Thanks.

Thor

you aren't going to get very accurate readings unless you get the sensor as
near the CPU core as possible. This means you need to get the flat sensor
sandwiched in between the heatsink, and the CPU package. Not between the
core itself and the heatsink (obviously), but slip it under there adjacent
to the core and under the heatsink. The harddrive is a tough one. I'm not
sure where would be the optimum placement for that. Harddrives usually have
their own internal temperature sensors. Applications like Speedfan can read
this temp. I'd say, experiment with placement of the sensor, and try to get
as close to the harddrive's own readings of possible. In the end, you may
never get the meaningful readings from that. You could use the second sensor
merely as an ambient case temp sensor instead, judging the overall
temperature condition of the case. That can translate directly to how easily
components like the CPU and harddrive can remain at safe temperature levels.
If the case temp rises, you can bet that the component temps will rise as
well.

"Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2JNyc.302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got one of these cases today and shoved stuff in it. Bloody beautiful
> case.
>
> The question though - it has a temp sensor display on the outside of the
> case that has two internal wires with sensors on them. I decided to attach
> one to the motherboard heat sink and generally "put" one near the hard
> drives. The display flicks, every 3 seconds, from one reading to the

other.

> So what should you expect the temp to be on a Gigabyte 8IPE Pro2 with P4
> 3.4ghz CPU in it when running? 1 gig dual layer ram if that makes a
> difference. Looked through the motherboard book and no help there.
>
> Just curious. Thanks.

Rv!

My case also has one of these basic sensors.
I stuck it on top of the 120Gb Maxtor HDD with
a little Gaffa tape (2cm square) and it sat fine.
Typical reading is 27C - 33C depending on weather.
It was reading about 8-10c higher until I fitted a
side case fan.

Rv!

Unknown

"Rv!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My case also has one of these basic sensors.
> I stuck it on top of the 120Gb Maxtor HDD with
> a little Gaffa tape (2cm square) and it sat fine.
> Typical reading is 27C - 33C depending on weather.
> It was reading about 8-10c higher until I fitted a
> side case fan.
>
> Rv!

Thanks for the info. The P160 definitely is a beautiful case!