Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer terms

Computer terms

Lloyd Jones

GUI

Abbreviated GUI (pronounced GOO-ee). A program interface that takes
advantage of the computer's graphics capabilities to make the program easier
to use. Well-designed graphical user interfaces can free the user from
learning complex command languages. On the other hand, many users find that
they work more effectively with a command-driven interface, especially if
they already know the command language.

TCP/IP

Abbreviation of Transmission Control Protocol, and pronounced as separate
letters. TCP is one of the main protocols in TCP/IP networks. Whereas the IP
protocol deals only with packets, TCP enables two hosts to establish a
connection and exchange streams of data. TCP guarantees delivery of data and
also guarantees that packets will be delivered in the same order in which
they were sent.

Intranet

A network based on TCP/IP protocols (an internet) belonging to an
organization, usually a corporation, accessible only by the organization's
members, employees, or others with authorization. An intranet's Web sites
look and act just like any other Web sites, but the firewall surrounding an
intranet fends off unauthorized access.
Like the Internet itself, intranets are used to share information. Secure
intranets are now the fastest-growing segment of the Internet because they
are much less expensive to build and manage than private networks based on
proprietary protocols.

ASCII

Acronym for the American Standard Code for Information Interchange.
Pronounced ask-ee, ASCII is a code for representing English characters as
numbers, with each letter assigned a number from 0 to 127. For example, the
ASCII code for uppercase M is 77. Most computers use ASCII codes to
represent text, which makes it possible to transfer data from one computer
to another.

For a list of commonly used characters and their ASCII equivalents, refer to
the ASCII page in the Quick Reference section.

Text files stored in ASCII format are sometimes called ASCII files. Text
editors and word processors are usually capable of storing data in ASCII
format, although ASCII format is not always the default storage format. Most
data files, particularly if they contain numeric data, are not stored in
ASCII format. Executable programs are never stored in ASCII format.

The standard ASCII character set uses just 7 bits for each character. There
are several larger character sets that use 8 bits, which gives them 128
additional characters. The extra characters are used to represent
non-English characters, graphics symbols, and mathematical symbols. Several
companies and organizations have proposed extensions for these 128
characters. The DOS operating system uses a superset of ASCII called
extended ASCII or high ASCII. A more universal standard is the ISO Latin 1
set of characters, which is used by many operating systems, as well as Web
browsers.

LJ

THERESE CONDLIFFE

Hi,

Am doing an IT course at TAFE and my first assignment requires me to create
a glossary of computer terms using web sites and newsgroups.

So if anyone has a spare minute or two I need a definition for the following
computer terms:

GUI
TCP/IP
intranet
ASCII

Many thanks

colin

THERESE CONDLIFFE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca6rv4$li9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Am doing an IT course at TAFE and my first assignment requires me to

create
> a glossary of computer terms using web sites and newsgroups.
>
> So if anyone has a spare minute or two I need a definition for the

following
> computer terms:
>
> GUI
> TCP/IP
> intranet
> ASCII
>
> Many thanks

What doe`s IT stand for?

Lloyd Jones

Are you joking?

LJ

colin

Lloyd Jones <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ca6uh8$1jh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you joking?
>
> LJ

of course

Chet

> What doe`s IT stand for?

Information Technology

Wiz

GUI=Graphical User Interface
TCP/IP= Transmition Control Protocol over Internet Protocol
Intranet = Local Area Network (LAN)
ASCII = American Standard Code for Information Interchange

THERESE CONDLIFFE wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am doing an IT course at TAFE and my first assignment requires me to create
> a glossary of computer terms using web sites and newsgroups.
>
> So if anyone has a spare minute or two I need a definition for the following
> computer terms:
>
> GUI
> TCP/IP
> intranet