Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer very slow

Computer very slow

Lloyd Jones

You should have at least 256 Mb RAM for XP.

LJ

Wiz

You need 4 times that amount of RAM!

Mary Lake wrote:

> I have got windows xp on my computer it has slowed down a lot what can I do
> to make it go faster I have got 128 mb of ram thank you

Lloyd Jones

Don't be so ****ing stupid.

LJ

HonestJohn

"Mary Lake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca4e6a$e2j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have got windows xp on my computer it has slowed down a lot

what can I do
> to make it go faster I have got 128 mb of ram thank you

Like previous versions of Windows a large number of programs and
utilities
are loaded during boot up, not all of them are necessary and they
can gobble
up memory and resources. One quick and easy way to find out what
they are is
to go to Run on the Start menu and type 'services.msc'. This will
bring up a
list of all of the programs that can run or are presently running
in the
background. To find out what each one does simply right click on
it and this
will display a dialogue box with a description and a 'Start Type'
drop-down
menu with Automatic, Manual or Disable options.

Captain Ron

Nice attitude.... Do you kiss your mother what that mouth?

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ca4grg$qrr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't be so ****ing stupid.
>
> LJ

DeMoN LaG

Wiz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:40C5C064.EC3D0807
@easypost.com:

> You need 4 times that amount of RAM!

XP does not need 512 megs of RAM to run acceptably. Maybe if you load the
machine up with **** and do a poor job building it and use crappy parts you
can compensate with a lot of RAM, but normally 256 is enough. Even for
playing most computer games.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Thor

> normally 256 is enough. Even for
> playing most computer games.

I agree. 256MB for XP is like 128MB for Win98. Enough to run well for most
average users. 512 I would recommend for more serious gamers and those into
photo processing and such.

Jim Berwick

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I agree. 256MB for XP is like 128MB for Win98. Enough to run well for
> most average users. 512 I would recommend for more serious gamers and
> those into photo processing and such.

Definitely. I have though played under Windows XP with 256 megs games such
as:
Unreal Tournament 2003
Enemy Territory
Final Fantasy XI

No problems. Slightly longer load times, but no noticable performance
problems.

Bax

Although your computer is running slow, your clock seems to be fast. You
seem to be posting in the future.

"Mary Lake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca4e6a$e2j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have got windows xp on my computer it has slowed down a lot what can I

do
> to make it go faster I have got 128 mb of ram thank you

The Prophecy

HonestJohn wrote:
> "Mary Lake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ca4e6a$e2j$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have got windows xp on my computer it has slowed down a lot what
>> can I do to make it go faster I have got 128 mb of ram thank you
>>

> Like previous versions of Windows a large number of programs and
> utilities
> are loaded during boot up, not all of them are necessary and they
> can gobble
> up memory and resources. One quick and easy way to find out what
> they are is
> to go to Run on the Start menu and type 'services.msc'. This will
> bring up a
> list of all of the programs that can run or are presently running
> in the
> background. To find out what each one does simply right click on
> it and this
> will display a dialogue box with a description and a 'Start Type'
> drop-down
> menu with Automatic, Manual or Disable options.

Don't just go in and start shutting down or disabling services. A great way
to speed up your system would be to first of all, perform some basic system
maintenance:

"°Mike°'s" Basic computer maintenance

Second, check out Black Viper's Windows XP Super Tweaks page. Take a close
look at Number 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12.

Balck Viper's Windows XP Super Tweaks
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

While you are there also see Black Viper's Windows XP Service
Configurations:

Black Viper's Windows XP Service Configurations

After doing all this, see if your system is any faster and reply to let us
know about it.