Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > CpuIdle

CpuIdle

Lloyd Jones

This is a handy little program, It cooled my motherboard 10C in a few
minuets. You can get a shareware version from:

www.cpuIdle.de

Michael-NC

This is just MOHO...

These programs have no effect when the CPU is under heavy load, only when
the CPU is idle. As such, if you have a problem with high CPU temps under
load, the program is useless. Anyone who has a temp problem when the CPU is
under less than full load has a cooling problem that these type of apps can
not solve.

Bottom line in CPU temps: if you do not have cooling related lock-ups, you
_don't_ have a problem. I learned this with a Palomino core CPU that ran 68C
on an Asus A7A266 board. The NG's were full of panicked folks when Athlons
first came out and that particular board, according to user reports, ran
particularly hot. Well, that CPU is still running @68C after many years and
is running quite well. After some initial hand-wringing over the CPU temp, I
realized I never had a heat related lock-up and I really had no concern with
the temps.

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c9vj9f$966$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a handy little program, It cooled my motherboard 10C in a few
> minuets. You can get a shareware version from:
>
> www.cpuIdle.de

Lloyd Jones

I lowered the temp of my PC.

LJ

Kenny

CPU idle crashed my system, Athlon 2500 XP on Asus A7N8X. Luckily I was
able to get into Safe Mode and get rid of it.

--

Kenny

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c9vpgb$u15$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I lowered the temp of my PC.
>
> LJ

Michael-NC

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c9vpgb$u15$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I lowered the temp of my PC.
>
> LJ

You lowered the temp of your CPU when it is idle, the program has no effect
on the CPU when it is under load. That is why I made the comment on the
subject you initiated. IMO, the programs are not an effective cooling
solution and are no substitute for proper ventilation and physical cooling
of a CPU. The only real concern about CPU temp is when the CPU is under
load. If your CPU is too hot at partial load or at idle, you're in trouble.

Lloyd Jones

I've got MBM 5 and my comp temp is usually about 30 C, I assume that's a
safe temp to be at.

LJ

Michael-NC

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ca0573$rqu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got MBM 5 and my comp temp is usually about 30 C, I assume that's a
> safe temp to be at.
>
> LJ

My motherboard is at 32C and my CPU: a XP2800 is @53C. Full load CPU temp
can be 57 or 58C. Full load temp is the only thing I'm concerned about.
A safe temp always goes back to stable operation. If the CPU is stable and
is not inducing lock-ups, it's a safe operating temp. Since my machine is
both stable and well within operating temperature parameters recommended by
AMD, I know I have no concern with cooling.

Naturally, all good cooling solutions and practices that can reduce temps
under full loads should be implemented. These include proper placement and
number of fans in the enclosure, proper routing of cables and the occasional
cleaning of accumulated dust. I had a silent CPU fan by Zalman that would
increase temps dramatically when the radial fins became dust clogged.
Whenever MBM returned temps approaching 70C on the 1GHz. T-Bird, I knew it
was time to bring the machine in the garage and hit it with my air
compressor. Temps would then go down to 56C and gradually increase over time
as more dust got in the system, Usually, it took about 3 months to prompt
another cleaning. Even though I sometimes let the machine run for a couple
weeks with 70C full load temps, it never did lock-up. CPU idling programs
wouldn't be of any use in such a situation nor are they of any use, in any
system, when the CPU is under load. I don't mean to knock your post, I just
fail to understand the usefulness of a resident program that throttles back
a idle CPU in a desktop system.

AdamC

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dMOwc.10379$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:ca0573$rqu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've got MBM 5 and my comp temp is usually about 30 C, I assume that's a
> > safe temp to be at.
> >
> > LJ

Those are still high temps! My Athlon XP 1800+ is running at 38 C and my
case is at 28 C. Under load I never hit higher than 43 C. I just have
really good cooling.

AdamC
> My motherboard is at 32C and my CPU: a XP2800 is @53C. Full load CPU temp
> can be 57 or 58C. Full load temp is the only thing I'm concerned about.
> A safe temp always goes back to stable operation. If the CPU is stable and
> is not inducing lock-ups, it's a safe operating temp. Since my machine is
> both stable and well within operating temperature parameters recommended

by
> AMD, I know I have no concern with cooling.
>
> Naturally, all good cooling solutions and practices that can reduce temps
> under full loads should be implemented. These include proper placement and
> number of fans in the enclosure, proper routing of cables and the

occasional
> cleaning of accumulated dust. I had a silent CPU fan by Zalman that would
> increase temps dramatically when the radial fins became dust clogged.
> Whenever MBM returned temps approaching 70C on the 1GHz. T-Bird, I knew it
> was time to bring the machine in the garage and hit it with my air
> compressor. Temps would then go down to 56C and gradually increase over

time
> as more dust got in the system, Usually, it took about 3 months to prompt
> another cleaning. Even though I sometimes let the machine run for a couple
> weeks with 70C full load temps, it never did lock-up. CPU idling programs
> wouldn't be of any use in such a situation nor are they of any use, in any
> system, when the CPU is under load. I don't mean to knock your post, I

just
> fail to understand the usefulness of a resident program that throttles

back
> a idle CPU in a desktop system.

Plato

Lloyd Jones wrote:

> This is a handy little program, It cooled my motherboard 10C in a few
> minuets. You can get a shareware version from:

Just curious. Were you having a heat related problem?

Secondly. Why run a cooling app. and use just another background app
which may cause problems if your cpu is running within temp specs
anyway?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Michael-NC wrote:

> You lowered the temp of your CPU when it is idle, the program has no effect
> on the CPU when it is under load. That is why I made the comment on the
> subject you initiated. IMO, the programs are not an effective cooling
> solution and are no substitute for proper ventilation and physical cooling
> of a CPU. The only real concern about CPU temp is when the CPU is under
> load. If your CPU is too hot at partial load or at idle, you're in trouble.

In other words, dont use software to fix a hardware problem. Or, in this
case, if there was a real problem to begin with.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/