Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies

Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies

Wayne R. Russ

Hello Everyone,

I have gone to Advanced Privacy Settings in Internet Options, in IE 6
and made these settings.

First Party Cookies: Accept
Third Party Cookies: Prompt

When I am prompted that a Third Party Cookie is trying to load, I am
given the option to Apply My Decision To All Cookies From This Web Site,
when choosing whether to block, or accept the Cookie. Could/ Would someone
tell me whether I should take that to mean literally every Cookie from that
site, including First Party Cookies that I would want to accept, or would
that mean just mean the Third Party Cookies I "Normally" do not want on my
system ?

On some sites I need to have First Party Cookies accepted. Later I am
bombarded at the same site by Third Party Cookies a have to continually
block them.

Wayne R. Russ

GTS

I recommend just blocking 3rd party cookies. They rarely if ever have a
purpose other than ad tracking, and there's no real downside to blocking
them all. (I also prefer to block First Party cookies and enable only those
I need, but some find this too much trouble.)
--

"Wayne R. Russ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have gone to Advanced Privacy Settings in Internet Options, in IE 6
> and made these settings.
>
> First Party Cookies: Accept
> Third Party Cookies: Prompt
>
> When I am prompted that a Third Party Cookie is trying to load, I am
> given the option to Apply My Decision To All Cookies From This Web Site,
> when choosing whether to block, or accept the Cookie. Could/ Would someone
> tell me whether I should take that to mean literally every Cookie from

that
> site, including First Party Cookies that I would want to accept, or would
> that mean just mean the Third Party Cookies I "Normally" do not want on my
> system ?
>
> On some sites I need to have First Party Cookies accepted. Later I am
> bombarded at the same site by Third Party Cookies a have to continually
> block them.
>
> Wayne R. Russ

Michael-NC

Ditto. Block all third party cookies. You never want to set it to "prompt."

"GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RvHwc.10080$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recommend just blocking 3rd party cookies. They rarely if ever have a
> purpose other than ad tracking, and there's no real downside to blocking
> them all. (I also prefer to block First Party cookies and enable only

those
> I need, but some find this too much trouble.)
> --
>
> "Wayne R. Russ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I have gone to Advanced Privacy Settings in Internet Options, in IE

6
> > and made these settings.
> >
> > First Party Cookies: Accept
> > Third Party Cookies: Prompt
> >
> > When I am prompted that a Third Party Cookie is trying to load, I am
> > given the option to Apply My Decision To All Cookies From This Web Site,
> > when choosing whether to block, or accept the Cookie. Could/ Would

someone
> > tell me whether I should take that to mean literally every Cookie from

> that
> > site, including First Party Cookies that I would want to accept, or

would
> > that mean just mean the Third Party Cookies I "Normally" do not want on

my
> > system ?
> >
> > On some sites I need to have First Party Cookies accepted. Later I

am
> > bombarded at the same site by Third Party Cookies a have to continually
> > block them.
> >
> > Wayne R. Russ

Jim Berwick

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:wBHwc.10213$(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Ditto. Block all third party cookies. You never want to set it to
> "prompt."

I believe Hotmail requires 3rd party cookies.

Michael-NC

I have the IE privacy setting on High, ZoneAlarm Pro set to block third
party cookies and Hotmail works fine.

"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:wBHwc.10213$(E-Mail Removed) om:
>
> > Ditto. Block all third party cookies. You never want to set it to
> > "prompt."
> >

> I believe Hotmail requires 3rd party cookies.

GTS

No. It doesn't.

--

"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:wBHwc.10213$(E-Mail Removed) om:
>
> > Ditto. Block all third party cookies. You never want to set it to
> > "prompt."
> >

> I believe Hotmail requires 3rd party cookies.

Lloyd Jones

It blocks third party cookies that do not have a compact privacy policy.

LJ

Michael-NC

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ca0dcu$247$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It blocks third party cookies that do not have a compact privacy policy.
>
> LJ

I assume you're not talking about ZoneAlarm Pro, which I mentioned in the
post. It blocks third party cookies, period. Hotmail still works fine.

Lloyd Jones

No mate im talking about IE 6, I meant to post it up a few. I block third
party cookies, period, using Norton Internet Security and Hotmail also works
fine with me.

LJ

Michael-NC

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ca0fob$67g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> No mate im talking about IE 6, I meant to post it up a few. I block third
> party cookies, period, using Norton Internet Security and Hotmail also

works
> fine with me.
>
> LJ

Maybe I shouldn't say that Hotmail works fine. I get 60 bloody spams a day
delivered to the junk folder...