Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New computer has virus right out of the box???

New computer has virus right out of the box???

Mark D. Fain

We just got a brand-new-in-the-box Sony Vaio computer at work, which was
purchased from a major dealer on the net. We installed software for our
internet connection and the very first connection to the internet was to
update the factory installed Norton Antivirus.

As soon as the update was complete Norton's went crazy saying that the
machine was infested with the Sasser-C virus. A full system scan showed
numerous instances. After much playing around we got the machine
disinfected. After cleaning I scanned the disc for our internet software
and found nothing.

The first and only internet connection was to Symantec- I doubt the virus
came in there. The only removable media to go into the computer was the
internet software, which was clean. The computer isn't networked, so it
would seem that the virus was already on the machine.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

Thanks,

Mark D. Fain

Fred

IMHO as soon as you connect to the net you are vunerable to infection if
your OS doesn't have the latest security patches.

Therefore before connecting to the net with a new pc you should install a
firewall, then get the latest patches from Microsoft.
Alternately you can get the latest patches on cd.

Also Microsoft have produced a guide that you can follow.

Mark D. Fain wrote:
> We just got a brand-new-in-the-box Sony Vaio computer at work, which was
> purchased from a major dealer on the net. We installed software for our
> internet connection and the very first connection to the internet was to
> update the factory installed Norton Antivirus.
>
> As soon as the update was complete Norton's went crazy saying that the
> machine was infested with the Sasser-C virus. A full system scan showed
> numerous instances. After much playing around we got the machine
> disinfected. After cleaning I scanned the disc for our internet software
> and found nothing.
>
> The first and only internet connection was to Symantec- I doubt the virus
> came in there. The only removable media to go into the computer was the
> internet software, which was clean. The computer isn't networked, so it
> would seem that the virus was already on the machine.
>
> Has anyone seen something like this before?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Mark D. Fain

Michael-NC

There are virus's on the net that will get an unpatched machine without any
action required by the user, all that's required is the machine to be
connected to the net. Solution: just enable the built in firewall before you
connect. As someone else mentioned, there is a free CD available form MS
which has a lot but not all the updates on it. It's a bad situation.

"Mark D. Fain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We just got a brand-new-in-the-box Sony Vaio computer at work, which was
> purchased from a major dealer on the net. We installed software for our
> internet connection and the very first connection to the internet was to
> update the factory installed Norton Antivirus.
>
> As soon as the update was complete Norton's went crazy saying that the
> machine was infested with the Sasser-C virus. A full system scan showed
> numerous instances. After much playing around we got the machine
> disinfected. After cleaning I scanned the disc for our internet software
> and found nothing.
>
> The first and only internet connection was to Symantec- I doubt the virus
> came in there. The only removable media to go into the computer was the
> internet software, which was clean. The computer isn't networked, so it
> would seem that the virus was already on the machine.
>
> Has anyone seen something like this before?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Mark D. Fain

GTS

Sasser is a WORM which can (and often will) infect a computer within minutes
of connecting to the Internet if a firewall is not enabled and the computer
does not have the relevant recent MS critical updates. It is,
unfortunately, critical to enable a firewall before the first connection to
the Internet. The Windows built in firewall (which is usually turned off by
default) is sufficient for this purpose. Anti virus programs may detect the
infection after the fact, but cannot prevent it.

And yes, I have seen it before quite a few times. Unfortunately, many
people assume that a new computer is secure when, in fact, a new computer
out of the box is extremely vulnerable. They are not up to date for
critical updates or anti virus definitions etc.
--

"Mark D. Fain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We just got a brand-new-in-the-box Sony Vaio computer at work, which was
> purchased from a major dealer on the net. We installed software for our
> internet connection and the very first connection to the internet was to
> update the factory installed Norton Antivirus.
>
> As soon as the update was complete Norton's went crazy saying that the
> machine was infested with the Sasser-C virus. A full system scan showed
> numerous instances. After much playing around we got the machine
> disinfected. After cleaning I scanned the disc for our internet software
> and found nothing.
>
> The first and only internet connection was to Symantec- I doubt the virus
> came in there. The only removable media to go into the computer was the
> internet software, which was clean. The computer isn't networked, so it
> would seem that the virus was already on the machine.
>
> Has anyone seen something like this before?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Mark D. Fain

Plato

Mark D. Fain wrote:

> The first and only internet connection was to Symantec- I doubt the virus
> came in there. The only removable media to go into the computer was the
> internet software, which was clean. The computer isn't networked, so it
> would seem that the virus was already on the machine.

Ahem, your PC is networked via broadband. That's where you got your
virus.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Trent©

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 23:38:02 -0400, "Mark D. Fain" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The computer isn't networked, so it
>would seem that the virus was already on the machine.

Then...did you connect via dial-up?

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !