Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > blue screen, no boot up

blue screen, no boot up

Dill

My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a web site
(which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.

On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have it -
it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode does exactly
the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens. The cursor moves
but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?

(OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Dill wrote:
> My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a
> web site (which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.
>
> On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
> changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have
> it - it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode
> does exactly the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens.
> The cursor moves but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?
>
> (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

And are we going to be enlightened as to the error on this "blue screen" or
are we going to have to play guessing games?

Guru

Dill wrote:

> My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a web site
> (which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.
>
> On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
> changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have it -
> it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode does exactly
> the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens. The cursor moves
> but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?
>
> (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

Try a repair with your XP disk.

Lee S

Usually a blue screen is caused by hardware failure. I would try to re-seat
the memory in the memory slots and if you have more than one memory module
in the pc try one module at a time to check which one is bad.

Lee S

"Dill" <djh455@REMOVE THISlycos.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3Qmwc.11101$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a web

site
> (which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.
>
> On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
> changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have it -
> it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode does exactly
> the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens. The cursor moves
> but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?
>
> (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

WinGuy

"Dill" <djh455@REMOVE THISlycos.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3Qmwc.11101$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a web

site
> (which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.
>
> On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
> changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have it -
> it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode does exactly
> the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens. The cursor moves
> but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?
>
> (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

Booting to the XP CD does not use any OS files from the HDD, but it does
attempt to copy files from the CD to the HDD that it would use to boot. If
it is unable to successfully copy files from the CD to the HDD then it could
BS you. That would probably be a problem with the HDD itself, most likely
its format. IMHO, the best thing to do with that HDD is to install it as a
slave into another Win 2000 or XP machine and then run chkdsk on it, and
also run antivirus against it. Then put it back as a master HDD. It *should*
then boot from the CD. If it still won't boot (normally or in Safe Mode)
then the boot sector of the HDD is probably badly messed up, and that
requires some risk in using some commands from the Recovery Console which
might help or might make the HDD unreadable forever until reformatted (so
I'm not gonna tell you how to do that, as you should take it to a
professional instead). Best wishes!

Dill

"Dill" <djh455@REMOVE THISlycos.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3Qmwc.11101$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a web

site
> (which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.
>
> On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
> changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have it -
> it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode does exactly
> the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens. The cursor moves
> but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?
>
> (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

The blue screen isn't an error blue screen, it's the Windows XP start
screen, but that's as far as it goes.

Michael-NC

Let _me_ guess...

It's _your_ time of the month...

Ahh, the joy of x-posted messages, what fun people you get to meet!

PS. Someone *please* bitch about the top-posting, it just wouldn't be the
same without it.

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Dill wrote:
> > My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a
> > web site (which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.
> >
> > On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
> > changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have
> > it - it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode
> > does exactly the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens.
> > The cursor moves but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?
> >
> > (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

> And are we going to be enlightened as to the error on this "blue screen"

or
> are we going to have to play guessing games?

Henkie

Hey there,

if Win Xp doesnot completely boot up, try starting it up in safe mode (hit
F8 at early stage of computer startup), after safe mode just restart.
Sometimes one safe boot is enough.

If not, re enter that menu, choose last known good configuration, this is
the last time XP remembers to have run properly.

If this starts, make sure to clean the pc of adware / virii
(www.download.com ad aware) and housecall.trendmicro.com online scan.

Let me know how far you get.

good luck,
HJ

alt.computer,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,mi crosoft.public.windowsxp.h
elp_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newuser s
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: blue screen, no boot up