Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > pc freezes with CD rom

pc freezes with CD rom

Tara

Hi.

My homebuilt PC has been working great for about 6 months but recently the
PC is crashing when I insert some CD-Roms. It doesn't happen all the time
but when it does once the CD is recognized the computer freezes and I have
to do a hard reboot using the power button in the back.

I'm running Windows XP Pro, P4 2.4, 1gig memory. My CD-Rom drive is a TDK
but I also have a Sony DVD-RW that also froze my PC. I checked out the
device manager and there is just one question mark under RAID controller.
Any ideas???

Thanks.

Michael-NC

"Tara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HMlwc.70778$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> My homebuilt PC has been working great for about 6 months but recently the
> PC is crashing when I insert some CD-Roms. It doesn't happen all the time
> but when it does once the CD is recognized the computer freezes and I have
> to do a hard reboot using the power button in the back.
>
> I'm running Windows XP Pro, P4 2.4, 1gig memory. My CD-Rom drive is a TDK
> but I also have a Sony DVD-RW that also froze my PC. I checked out the
> device manager and there is just one question mark under RAID controller.
> Any ideas???
>
> Thanks.

Yeah, you need a driver for your raid controller and perhaps your setup is
causing the problem. Do you have the drives on the same channel? Are you
sure that the disk is good? Does the drive read _any_ disk?

Tara

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btqwc.9951$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> "Tara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:HMlwc.70778$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi.
> >
> > My homebuilt PC has been working great for about 6 months but recently

the
> > PC is crashing when I insert some CD-Roms. It doesn't happen all the

time
> > but when it does once the CD is recognized the computer freezes and I

have
> > to do a hard reboot using the power button in the back.
> >
> > I'm running Windows XP Pro, P4 2.4, 1gig memory. My CD-Rom drive is a

TDK
> > but I also have a Sony DVD-RW that also froze my PC. I checked out the
> > device manager and there is just one question mark under RAID

controller.
> > Any ideas???
> >
> > Thanks.

> Yeah, you need a driver for your raid controller and perhaps your setup is
> causing the problem. Do you have the drives on the same channel? Are you
> sure that the disk is good? Does the drive read _any_ disk?

Thanks Michael - That totally fixed it. I got the driver for the RAID
controller off my motherboard disk. For some reason that driver was never
installed.

Thanks.