Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Wireless Bridge

Wireless Bridge

mcp6453

Computer is in bedroom at far end of house. Router is in building behind
house. Kitchen is half way between bedroom and, uh, outhouse. The
wireless LAN card on the computer cannot see the router. A notebook
computer setup in the kitchen for testing gets about 45% signal. If I
put a wireless bridge in the kitchen, or in the attic above the kitchen,
am I likely to get a signal from the notebook to the wireless router?

I though about using an Ethernet to wireless adapter and running an
Ethernet cable from the computer to the side of the house next to the
outhouse, but I cannot find a unit that has this type of interface,
except what appears to be called a game adapter. USB cables cannot be
run that far. Everything is 802.11b.

Duane Arnold

mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:40C1DAD6.1532
@earthlink.net:

> Computer is in bedroom at far end of house. Router is in building

behind
> house. Kitchen is half way between bedroom and, uh, outhouse. The
> wireless LAN card on the computer cannot see the router. A notebook
> computer setup in the kitchen for testing gets about 45% signal. If I
> put a wireless bridge in the kitchen, or in the attic above the

kitchen,
> am I likely to get a signal from the notebook to the wireless router?
>
> I though about using an Ethernet to wireless adapter and running an
> Ethernet cable from the computer to the side of the house next to the
> outhouse, but I cannot find a unit that has this type of interface,
> except what appears to be called a game adapter. USB cables cannot be
> run that far. Everything is 802.11b.

I have never used it. But I have read posts about using a WAP as a
repeater to extend the range of the wireless to cover an area. You may
want to look into that solution.

Duane

mcp6453

Duane Arnold wrote:

> mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:40C1DAD6.1532
> @earthlink.net:
>
> > Computer is in bedroom at far end of house. Router is in building

> behind
> > house. Kitchen is half way between bedroom and, uh, outhouse. The
> > wireless LAN card on the computer cannot see the router. A notebook
> > computer setup in the kitchen for testing gets about 45% signal. If I
> > put a wireless bridge in the kitchen, or in the attic above the

> kitchen,
> > am I likely to get a signal from the notebook to the wireless router?
> >
> > I though about using an Ethernet to wireless adapter and running an
> > Ethernet cable from the computer to the side of the house next to the
> > outhouse, but I cannot find a unit that has this type of interface,
> > except what appears to be called a game adapter. USB cables cannot be
> > run that far. Everything is 802.11b.
> >

> I have never used it. But I have read posts about using a WAP as a
> repeater to extend the range of the wireless to cover an area. You may
> want to look into that solution.
>
> Duane

Thanks, Duane. How would that work? A WAP cannot communicate with
another WAP. Or can it?

Duane Arnold

mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Duane Arnold wrote:
>>
>> mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:40C1DAD6.1532
>> @earthlink.net:
>>
>> > Computer is in bedroom at far end of house. Router is in building

>> behind
>> > house. Kitchen is half way between bedroom and, uh, outhouse. The
>> > wireless LAN card on the computer cannot see the router. A notebook
>> > computer setup in the kitchen for testing gets about 45% signal. If

>> > put a wireless bridge in the kitchen, or in the attic above the

>> kitchen,
>> > am I likely to get a signal from the notebook to the wireless

router?

>> > I though about using an Ethernet to wireless adapter and running an
>> > Ethernet cable from the computer to the side of the house next to

the
>> > outhouse, but I cannot find a unit that has this type of interface,
>> > except what appears to be called a game adapter. USB cables cannot

be
>> > run that far. Everything is 802.11b.
>> >

>> I have never used it. But I have read posts about using a WAP as a
>> repeater to extend the range of the wireless to cover an area. You may
>> want to look into that solution.
>>
>> Duane

> Thanks, Duane. How would that work? A WAP cannot communicate with
> another WAP. Or can it?

I don't know how it works. I just know that you can accomplish it. You
can post your questions at alt.internet.wireless they can help you there
on the how-to(s). You may want to search Google a liitle bit to get some
info on WAP as a Repeater.

Duane

Jim Berwick

mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks, Duane. How would that work? A WAP cannot communicate with
> another WAP. Or can it?

I don't know how universal the feature is, but you can take two linksys
WAP11's and have one be a client of the other.

mcp6453

Jim Berwick wrote:

> mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Thanks, Duane. How would that work? A WAP cannot communicate with
> > another WAP. Or can it?

> I don't know how universal the feature is, but you can take two linksys
> WAP11's and have one be a client of the other.

Can you explain how to do this?

mcp6453

Jim Berwick wrote:

> mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Thanks, Duane. How would that work? A WAP cannot communicate with
> > another WAP. Or can it?

> I don't know how universal the feature is, but you can take two linksys
> WAP11's and have one be a client of the other.

Never mind. I found it. I thought I was familiar with this unit, but
it's a different one that I was thinking about. It has a bridge mode.