Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DOS 2.1/IBM 5150 question

DOS 2.1/IBM 5150 question

fjwilson

Don't know how many of you can answer this, but I am sure some of you
are familiar with it.
I am starting to collect old computers, and the first one I bought was
an IBM 5150, 1st edition, with 64K motherboard. No hard drive, just
two 5,25 floppy drives.
It came with dos 2.1 amd a few games. I was tinkering around with it,
seeing if I could get it to do anything. I placed the dos disk in, and
it recognized the a drive as "a>". I was also able to set the calendar
and clock,but, I have not had any luck in getting it to do anything
else. No manuals came with it, and the only thing I learned from some
of the instructions on the other disks was that it would accept the
"menu cammand". Trying that, it is registering some kind of inability
to read the a drive error.

In trying to load these old games, it was necessary to take out one
disk, but also to load the game disk, right? With only 64K, it is hard
to imagine this machine doing much of anything!

Does anyone remember the sequence or command or procedure to get the
machine to do something? The dos comands I know don't work: they must
be too new for the machine.

If no one can help, thanks in advance anyhow. I will figure it out
sooner or later!

Fred

Jerry G.

Because the machine only has 64k of RAM, it can only run the most basic of
DOS programs. You have to remember that within a few year after the first
ones came out, they were up to 640 k of RAM.

The BIOS on your mother board will not support a hard disk, even though DOS
2.1 will. There is not enough RAM in the machine to support a hard disk
anyways.

There were a few programs that would run on that machine. There was a
version of GW-Basic, some simple word processors, a simple spread sheet, and
some simple games. There was Wordstar 1.02, and Microsoft Word 1.01, (or
something like these. There were some very simple accounting and database
programs as well.

Your machine will soon be a nice museum piece. Keep it for your collection.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"fjwilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
[...]

Art Leonard

Ah, you have the Cadillac of early computers. Here's a command to start
you off.

Type either A: or B: to switch to the drive you wish to read, then type:

DIR | MORE

This command will allow you to scroll through the directories on the disks
to find the programs and sub directories you wish to explore. The symbol
between the DIR and MORE is the Pipe symbol, on my keyboard it is the
shifted character on the back slash key.

I think there was a /help command also to explain functions and
syntax. 64k was a luxurious amount of memory. It allowed you to do an almost
unlimited amount of things with dos and machine level programming. I had a
number of computers that were 2k and 4k.

Good Luck
Art Leonard