Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > google dot com?

google dot com?

John

Hello.

I just wondered what happened to Google.com?

Is anyone in the US still visiting this site and seeing everything in
English?

I'm in the UK, and when I go to Google.com it is a German Google site!
Everything is German. It has been this way for quite some time now.

John

colin

John wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just wondered what happened to Google.com?
>
> Is anyone in the US still visiting this site and seeing everything in
> English?
>
> I'm in the UK, and when I go to Google.com it is a German Google site!
> Everything is German. It has been this way for quite some time now.
>
> John

It could be, that when you installed your system, you didn`t select the
correct regional setting

John

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 03:40:45 +1000, colin <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>John wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I just wondered what happened to Google.com?
>>
>> Is anyone in the US still visiting this site and seeing everything in
>> English?
>>
>> I'm in the UK, and when I go to Google.com it is a German Google site!
>> Everything is German. It has been this way for quite some time now.
>>
>> John
>>

>It could be, that when you installed your system, you didn`t select the
>correct regional setting

I selected the UK when I installed XP Pro.

John

colin

John wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 03:40:45 +1000, colin <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>John wrote:
>>
>>>Hello.
>>>
>>>I just wondered what happened to Google.com?
>>>
>>>Is anyone in the US still visiting this site and seeing everything in
>>>English?
>>>
>>>I'm in the UK, and when I go to Google.com it is a German Google site!
>>>Everything is German. It has been this way for quite some time now.
>>>
>>>John
>>>

>>It could be, that when you installed your system, you didn`t select the
>>correct regional setting

> I selected the UK when I installed XP Pro.
>
> John

Try this one than..

http://www.google.co.uk/

Lloyd Jones

Are you using a proxy?

LJ

John

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:54:42 +0100, "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Are you using a proxy?
>
>LJ

No, no proxy.

My question isn't about trying to use google that's not a problem. I
just wanted to know if you guys in the US can still go to google.COM
and see it all in English, and whether anyone in the UK can as well?
When I go there as I said it's all German.

Google.co.uk is fine that's what I use a lot. I just wanted to know
why Google.com is german though and whether it is only my machine or
if its like that everywhere?

Cheers

John

vince

Yes, its only the most popular search engine there is here, so yes we do
"still" gp there and its all in english.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:54:42 +0100, "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Are you using a proxy?
> >
> >LJ
> >

> No, no proxy.
>
> My question isn't about trying to use google that's not a problem. I
> just wanted to know if you guys in the US can still go to google.COM
> and see it all in English, and whether anyone in the UK can as well?
> When I go there as I said it's all German.
>
> Google.co.uk is fine that's what I use a lot. I just wanted to know
> why Google.com is german though and whether it is only my machine or
> if its like that everywhere?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Lloyd Jones

I asked if you were using a proxy because If they think your IP address is
coming from Germany then it will be displayed in a german language.

LJ

John

I found out what the problem is. It is to do with a german ip
address! Apparently the ADSL company I am with gets their service
through telefonica not BT, here in the UK.

It still seems strange to me though because Telefonica is Spanish is
it not? So I still don't understand how I get a German IP address

Another strange thing is that the company I was with before Clara.net
is a French company with services in the UK and European countries as
well. So I don't understand how it always came up in German when I
was with them as well.

Looks like I wont be able to visit Google.com again, unless I want to
see it in German That has got to suck.

John

Jim Berwick

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:7l6cc09hp75c95vgvr28ccqo9216cac1l5@
4ax.com:

> Looks like I wont be able to visit Google.com again, unless I want to
> see it in German That has got to suck.

Go to google, click Preferences, and set it to english. Preferences is the
second link to the immediate right of the search field.