Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > My hard disk is getting very noisy

My hard disk is getting very noisy

ArtKramr

Should I add another hard disk before my C drive crashes or just get a new
computer?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

mark mandel

"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Should I add another hard disk before my C drive crashes or just get a new
> computer?

Backup everything of value first, get the new drive, then transfer the
"image" to that drive.

> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Captain Ron

One xtreem to another... It really depends on how you use the machine. I
hate to add new fast equipment to old systems, it is just a waste of money.
But if the machine is a 1400 amd and you use if for word processing, heck
then the machine is fine, replace the drive. If you use it for gaming,
replace the system.

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
>From: "Captain Ron" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 6/4/04 9:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>One xtreem to another... It really depends on how you use the machine. I
>hate to add new fast equipment to old systems, it is just a waste of money.
>But if the machine is a 1400 amd and you use if for word processing, heck
>then the machine is fine, replace the drive. If you use it for gaming,
>replace the system.

It's a Dell 400 Dimension and I use it for photo graphics and e-mail. The
problem is that a new hard disk will cost me about $200 bucks., For $600 bucks
I can get a new computer that does 10 times as much. (sigh)

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
>From: "mark mandel" (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 6/4/04 8:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>

>"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Should I add another hard disk before my C drive crashes or just get a new
>> computer?

>Backup everything of value first, get the new drive, then transfer the
>"image" to that drive.

I have a 5 year old Dell Dimension 400. I think the cost of a new drive will
exceed the value of the computer. I can get a new Dell that does 10 times as
much for $600.(sigh)

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Captain Ron

Wow, $200 for a hard drive! Now that is outragous, I just bought a 120 GB
Maxtor for $80. For phot editing I would build a new machine and sell the
existing machine. I use photoshop 7.0 and I know it is a power hungry hog.

Good luck

Mark Mandell

"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
> >From: "Captain Ron" (E-Mail Removed)
> >Date: 6/4/04 9:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> >
> >One xtreem to another... It really depends on how you use the machine. I
> >hate to add new fast equipment to old systems, it is just a waste of

money.
> >But if the machine is a 1400 amd and you use if for word processing, heck
> >then the machine is fine, replace the drive. If you use it for gaming,
> >replace the system.

> It's a Dell 400 Dimension and I use it for photo graphics and e-mail. The
> problem is that a new hard disk will cost me about $200 bucks., For $600

bucks
> I can get a new computer that does 10 times as much. (sigh)

You should be able to get a drive for less $$$$. Of course it depends on
what size you have in mind as well.

Mark

> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Jerry G.

You can find a hard disk for about $80 or so that would work in your
machine. Go around to the local computer shops.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
>From: "mark mandel" (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 6/4/04 8:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>

>"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Should I add another hard disk before my C drive crashes or just get a

new
>> computer?

>Backup everything of value first, get the new drive, then transfer the
>"image" to that drive.

I have a 5 year old Dell Dimension 400. I think the cost of a new drive
will
exceed the value of the computer. I can get a new Dell that does 10 times as
much for $600.(sigh)

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
>From: "Jerry G." (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 6/4/04 6:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>You can find a hard disk for about $80 or so that would work in your
>machine. Go around to the local computer shops.

How wilI know which ones will fit my machine.?

>--
>
>Jerry G.
>=====
>

>"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
>>From: "mark mandel" (E-Mail Removed)
>>Date: 6/4/04 8:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>>

>>"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Should I add another hard disk before my C drive crashes or just get a

>new
>>> computer?

>>Backup everything of value first, get the new drive, then transfer the
>>"image" to that drive.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
>From: "Mark Mandell" (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 6/4/04 1:13 PM Pacific

>You should be able to get a drive for less $$$$. Of course it depends on
>what size you have in mind as well.
>
>Mark

How will I know which drives will fit my machine? Should I go to Fry's or Best
Buy? Do those guys know?.