Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Slow connection

Slow connection

Senturon

I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere near
that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed, but then it slows down further and
usually hangs, websites take forever to load, but actually downloading
files, forget it without a download manager with resume. Aaanyways, i've
scanned using three different virus programs, updated norton, free updated
avg, and a free version of panda-scan, also have run ad-ware, and
spy-bot....got rid of some things but the problem persists.

I also use sygate personal firewall which leads me to believe it might not
be a virus or adware/spyware, because it is not as tho a program is 'eating
up' my bandwidth, it is almost as tho i just have none to begin with. I was
curious if perhaps i installed a program, or perhaps screwed something up to
'limit' my bandwidth, or configure it somehow as such. I've been kinda
looking around, also searching online for some help but with little to no
luck. I'm running XP and was wondering if there is somewhere to configure
it, or some program/test i could run to see what's going on....the other
computers on my network are running fine(meaning running at a full
connection speed) so it can't have anything to do with my ISP. I dunno any
help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

~Senturon

Garry Beattie

"Senturon" <senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere

near
> that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed,

<<SNIP>>
> ~Senturon

Hi Senturon.

Mate I had exactly the same problem. I have a 1500meg ADSL connection and I
was getting speeds similar to a 100k connection. I was running Windows XP
Pro.

My ISP tried everything. They finally sent out a tech who spent almost 3
hours on it without finding the problem. He could see that it was not
running at full speed but everything workd perfect when plugged into his
computer. It was something in my computer that they could not find.

They finally gave up and suggested I reformat and reinstall Windows.

I did that and the connection worked perfectly once that was done.

Backup your system, format your drive and reinstall Windows XP. It should
fix the problem.
Just don't run all the new Windows updates as one of the latest ones are
screwing with my computer and causing it to freeze occasionally.

I am about to re-install WinXP again but not run all the updates.

Best regards

Garry

mark mandel

"Senturon" <senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere

near
> that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed, but then it slows down further

and
> usually hangs, websites take forever to load, but actually downloading
> files, forget it without a download manager with resume. Aaanyways, i've
> scanned using three different virus programs, updated norton, free updated
> avg, and a free version of panda-scan, also have run ad-ware, and
> spy-bot....got rid of some things but the problem persists.
>
> I also use sygate personal firewall which leads me to believe it might not
> be a virus or adware/spyware, because it is not as tho a program is

'eating
> up' my bandwidth, it is almost as tho i just have none to begin with. I

was
> curious if perhaps i installed a program, or perhaps screwed something up

> 'limit' my bandwidth, or configure it somehow as such. I've been kinda
> looking around, also searching online for some help but with little to no
> luck. I'm running XP and was wondering if there is somewhere to configure
> it, or some program/test i could run to see what's going on....the other
> computers on my network are running fine(meaning running at a full
> connection speed) so it can't have anything to do with my ISP. I dunno

any
> help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
>
> ~Senturon

Have you checked in the Event viewer to see what it says? As opposed to a
format and subsequent reinstall(suggested by the other respondent), I'd
suggest doing a "repair/install" first to see if that clears things up.

Mark Mandell

Hamman

"Senturon" <senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere

near
> that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed,

Check your fibre router is correctly setup, sounds like a firewall is
getting a little picky about what you connect to. Also check the temperature
in your rackmount / cabinet, i've seen routing hardware slow to a crawl when
it gets too hot.

You must be paying several hundred /$$/?? a month for that sort of
connectivity, so get your ISP to sort it out for you. Most provide a managed
connection for not much on top of your standard charge.

hamman

Michael-NC

"Garry Beattie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40c03c3b$0$8095$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> "Senturon" <senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere

> near
> > that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed,

> <<SNIP>>
> > ~Senturon

> Hi Senturon.
>
> Mate I had exactly the same problem. I have a 1500meg ADSL connection and

> was getting speeds similar to a 100k connection. I was running Windows XP
> Pro.
>
> My ISP tried everything. They finally sent out a tech who spent almost 3
> hours on it without finding the problem. He could see that it was not
> running at full speed but everything workd perfect when plugged into his
> computer. It was something in my computer that they could not find.
>
> They finally gave up and suggested I reformat and reinstall Windows.
>
> I did that and the connection worked perfectly once that was done.
>
> Backup your system, format your drive and reinstall Windows XP. It should
> fix the problem.
> Just don't run all the new Windows updates as one of the latest ones are
> screwing with my computer and causing it to freeze occasionally.
>
> I am about to re-install WinXP again but not run all the updates.
>
> Best regards
>
> Garry

Hey, that's the best advice I ever heard! Why didn't I think about running a
unpatched machine on a broadband connection!

Doh!

vince

It doesn't cost a few hundred a month for cable internet. I think that mine
costs a lot wihich is Comcast at $60 a month.
"Hamman" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Senturon" <senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere

> near
> > that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed,

> Check your fibre router is correctly setup, sounds like a firewall is
> getting a little picky about what you connect to. Also check the

temperature
> in your rackmount / cabinet, i've seen routing hardware slow to a crawl

when
> it gets too hot.
>
> You must be paying several hundred /$$/?? a month for that sort of
> connectivity, so get your ISP to sort it out for you. Most provide a

managed
> connection for not much on top of your standard charge.
>
> hamman

DeMoN LaG

"vince" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> It doesn't cost a few hundred a month for cable internet. I think that
> mine costs a lot wihich is Comcast at $60 a month.

You'll notice the OP said he has a 100mbit/sec internet connection. Cable
is not 100mbit. Comcast just upped it to 3mbit. Generally if you are
getting 100mbit/sec connection, it is probably over fibre optics and you
are probably paying several thousand dollars a month for it.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Jerry G.

If you are running XP, you should use the XP firewall, and not an outside
firewall. Also, it is best to use a hardware firewall, and not use a
software firewall. I believe it is your firewall that is the problem.

I am using XP-Pro, and have a router between the machine, and the outside.
The router has a built in firewall.

--

Jerry G.
=====

[...]

Thor

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c9s3vp$gr9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are running XP, you should use the XP firewall, and not an outside
> firewall. Also, it is best to use a hardware firewall, and not use a
> software firewall. I believe it is your firewall that is the problem.
>
> I am using XP-Pro, and have a router between the machine, and the outside.
> The router has a built in firewall.

You fail to mention (or perhaps realize?) that the windowsXP firewall, and
NAT router firewalls do not monitor outbound traffic. If you pick up a piece
of malware, spyware, a virus, or backdoor program via the typical vectors
(email, webpages, P2P), it will happily connect to the net, right through
the XP or NAT firewall, because there is no outbound control. Now, if you
are extra vigilant about making sure that kind of stuff never gets on your
machine to begin with, then using XP's firewall is ok, but people in general
aren't so vigilant, and they should use a 3rd party firewall to ensure that
they are notified when something suspicious is attempting to connect to the
internet from their computer. Fortunately, when MS comes out with SP2 for XP
it will include a beefed-up firewall, which does have outbound connection
control and monitoring.

bearman

"DeMoN LaG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "vince" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > It doesn't cost a few hundred a month for cable internet. I think that
> > mine costs a lot wihich is Comcast at $60 a month.
> >

> You'll notice the OP said he has a 100mbit/sec internet connection. Cable
> is not 100mbit. Comcast just upped it to 3mbit. Generally if you are
> getting 100mbit/sec connection, it is probably over fibre optics and you
> are probably paying several thousand dollars a month for it.
>
> --
> website: http://www.demonlag.com
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: (E-Mail Removed)

Without sounding too pedantic: a lowercae "m" stands for milli, a capital
"M" stands for mega. Well, I guess I did sound too pedantic but what the
hell!

Bearman